Reasons NOT to spec the noise/thermal glass option!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My car was dealer spec and came with the acoustic/thermal glass and frankly I hate it.

1. My radar detector will only work when positioned super high up in the “black dot” region, and seems to be attenuated even there.

2. The Porsche dashcam can’t use the radar feature because the stupid glass blocks it.

As soon as this glass is trashed - which happens to every Porsche I’ve ever owned - I am getting the plain non-fancy glass. It’s not worth these hassles to me.

Rant over!
Sponsored

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
As soon as this glass is trashed - which happens to every Porsche I’ve ever owned - I am getting the plain non-fancy glass. It’s not worth these hassles to me.

Rant over!
I thought it might be a Taycan thing but it sounds like many Porsche models have low quality glass. My windshield is so pitted, chipped, and now cracked after only 20k. I'm excited to be replacing it. I just wonder if there are any better alternatives out there other than factory glass.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I thought it might be a Taycan thing but it sounds like many Porsche models have low quality glass. My windshield is so pitted, chipped, and now cracked after only 20k. I'm excited to be replacing it. I just wonder if there are any better alternatives out there other than factory glass.
Observational bias. I've replaced 4 tesla windshields in 5 years and i thought the same thing about tesla glass.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Observational bias. I've replaced 4 tesla windshields in 5 years and i thought the same thing about tesla glass.
My reference are the last 3 cars I've owned over 10 years each and 5-8x the mileage and none of them look as pitted. I guess they don't make glass like they used to.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Never happened to me…in 40 years of different cars like volvo 850, v70, s80, xc90, renault’s laguna, talisman, koleos, two mazda6, suzuki vitara, nissan navara… i hope that taycan won’t change that pattern:please:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
1. My radar detector will only work when positioned super high up in the “black dot” region, and seems to be attenuated even there.
Invest in a remote/built-in radar, and install laser countermeasures while at it (yea, I know those are illegal in TX, but AFAIK the ticket for one is cheaper than speeding and doesn't up your insurance, plus they have to find it first, and you can get pretty stealth solutions, so if you jam only until you slow down, they will measure your correct speed and never pull you over to look for the lasers).
Example:

even more stealth is the Stinger VIP (which I'm using it on my current Tesla) but good luck getting in-stock components since COVID (hence I'm going with ALP for my upcoming Taycan, possibly augment it with a roof rail mounted Valentine one - custom idea I've been playing with).
https://us.stinger.com/invisible-on-your-car/

2. The Porsche dashcam can’t use the radar feature because the stupid glass blocks it.
What does the "radar feature" of Porsche camera do? I plan on using BV, as I did in all other family cars, it detects motion just fine via video and G-sensor, records at slower frame rate when parked with no motion, and doesn't kill wireless Apple Car Play.

This will work if you use a font, uni-directional radar detector. If you use any 360 type solutions with directional warnings, you will have at the very least the back one, but probably all windows. If that's the case, replace them now, what's one extra glass to replace, out of 6. ;) Serious advice, see my reply to your point #1 - I've been doing for a long time, first because I lived somewhere where detectors were illegal, then because I wanted an integrated solution and laser jamming. Windshield mount laser detectors are useless, they only warn you after you have been clocked, so at best a ticket forewarning.

Last edited:

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I'm having the external protection film applied to the front windscreen and pano roof in transparent. Let's see how I get on.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Also bloody tough to break in a crash. Car on 🔥, race against time, trying to break the glass to free the driver and passenger children. Don't want that on my conscience.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Tesla glass sucks - period. The 2 I owned had horrible glass. I have a 30+ & 40+ year old cars that have much better quality glass.

• Wow
Reactions: B61

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My car was dealer spec and came with the acoustic/thermal glass and frankly I hate it.

Rant over!
Derek I'm a big fan of your posts, keep them coming. Can you move your radar detector so it is mounted inside the grill? Have not seen this item highlighted for buyers who will be installing detectors. Good call out.

They are illegal here. It is a $2K fine and loss of 9 demerit points (out of 13 available) which for most people using radar detectors is a loss of licence.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Derek I'm a big fan of your posts, keep them coming. Can you move your radar detector so it is mounted inside the grill? Have not seen this item highlighted for buyers who will be installing detectors. Good call out.

They are illegal here. It is a $2K fine and loss of 9 demerit points (out of 13 available) which for most people using radar detectors is a loss of licence.
No, the one I like - got it with my first Porsche in 1998 - is the Valentine One which is internal only.

That's quite a penalty. They are legal in most states here.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The "tough to break in case of accident" aspect is what I always wonder about.
Shouldn't there be regulations around that? Or do all first responders know immediately what to do with that type of glass?

I guess the same for all the electric doors, and especially stuff like Tesla falcon doors.

They have all kinds of dumb regulation out there, but nothing around making sure people can be safely and quickly pulled out of cars in the case of emergency?
Sponsored