Recall update refused!

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Got my car going in next week for loss of power issues (actually suffered). Apparently, the AMB5 update that some have got in the US isn’t available here until later in the month. Therefore, looks like they are going to reinstall WMA5. I am hopeful that a. WMA5 now already includes revisions that the AMB5 solves, and b. my car does not get bricked by WMA5 when I counted myself lucky the update was fairly smooth the first time. Porsche have been terrible in conveying information to the dealers - apparently my dealer has been given the impression that the loss of power issue was a pre-WMA5 issue that WMA5 solved, rather than being introduced by early WMA5 updates which actually seems to be the case.
Sponsored

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Got my car going in next week for loss of power issues (actually suffered). Apparently, the AMB5 update that some have got in the US isn’t available here until later in the month. Therefore, looks like they are going to reinstall WMA5. I am hopeful that a. WMA5 now already includes revisions that the AMB5 solves, and b. my car does not get bricked by WMA5 when I counted myself lucky the update was fairly smooth the first time. Porsche have been terrible in conveying information to the dealers - apparently my dealer has been given the impression that the loss of power issue was a pre-WMA5 issue that WMA5 solved, rather than being introduced by early WMA5 updates which actually seems to be the case.
If the fault code that is specified in the AMB5 technical bulletin is present in your car, you'll probably get the AMB5 update. If the code is not present, I wonder what your PC will do. They can't apply AMB5, because Porsche will not reimburse them for the cost. I suspect they can't the updated WMA5 again, because they already applied the "old" WMA5 update.

Your dealer has been informed via technical bulletins. In the USA(and maybe other countries) Porsche is required to inform the NHTSA and we can view those documents. I have a thread with a list of all documents available, the last version is https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-with-link-to-each-document.5593/#post-78063

Keep us informed what the PC did and ask them for documentation what they did. They normally don't do that, you do have to ask for it.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
come on!
I am only aware of two car brands that can do OTA Updates: one that sells playstations on 4 wheels and BMW latest 3 series. The latter one I'm not sure if they also allow drive train related parts to be updated.

Am I wrong?
I wish we could have PlayStation capability OTA in Porsche Software hardware and save future trips to the dealer, technology doesn’t stop and cell phones, new CarPlay-Androíd auto, google maps among others. I read in the forums that the 2022 PCM allows Android auto, the fact that isn’t OTA update across the fleet shows that the system is just not OTA capable. The changes for better software for increased performance will be an ongoing process several times per year In all modern cars. That’s the future because today’s cars experience includes 50% software. No full capable OTA thumbs down.

Last edited:

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If the fault code that is specified in the AMB5 technical bulletin is present in your car, you'll probably get the AMB5 update. If the code is not present, I wonder what your PC will do. They can't apply AMB5, because Porsche will not reimburse them for the cost. I suspect they can't the updated WMA5 again, because they already applied the "old" WMA5 update.

Your dealer has been informed via technical bulletins. In the USA(and maybe other countries) Porsche is required to inform the NHTSA and we can view those documents. I have a thread with a list of all documents available, the last version is https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-with-link-to-each-document.5593/#post-78063

Keep us informed what the PC did and ask them for documentation what they did. They normally don't do that, you do have to ask for it.
Will do. My dealer is telling me that Porsche GB has told them to redo the WMA5 and that AMB5 is not yet available no matter the fault code. Will be interesting to see what they do since the fault should be in the log and they have the time and date on which it happened. Maybe it’s a completely unrelated fault but I doubt it.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well Tesla has done updates to magically unlock faster 0-60 times as well as adjust regenerative braking performance, so I think they do have the capability if necessary. They've also pushed out updates to increase range which may or may not be related to motor performance.
Just for completion they have also pushed updates without telling customers to limit charging speed to cover up degradation of batteries from fast charging, mainly because they kept giving the message to customer that fast charging was just fine as normal daily charging.

Nik1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Got my update done finally. They said the turbos and 4s models were prioritized. So far so good.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Got my update done finally. They said the turbos and 4s models were prioritized. So far so good.
Interesting thanks, you mean in compared to Turbo S? I wonder why what would be?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Will do. My dealer is telling me that Porsche GB has told them to redo the WMA5 and that AMB5 is not yet available no matter the fault code. Will be interesting to see what they do since the fault should be in the log and they have the time and date on which it happened. Maybe it’s a completely unrelated fault but I doubt it.
Car’s been in over a week now. After a load of to-ing and fro-ing between dealer and Porsche, it was finally decided to apply AMB5 rather than re-do WMA5 even though the dealer was initially told AMB5 was not available. However, large spate of covid isolations has delayed the work until later in the week. In the meantime, I received my recall letter! Tell you what, I am not going to be so keen to be one of the first to get the 2022 up-date if it is offered later in the year!
Sponsored