Report: New battery coming to reduce Taycan weight by 400kg and increasing charge rate and power?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
to replace the current battery costs about $60,000 for the part alone. My guess is, a battery swap is even harder than an engine swap.
Not even close. Way easier to replace the battery in a Taycan than swapping an engine on an ICE car. Nor would a replacement battery cost that much, nor would a brand new battery be the only option for an older car.

The BOM for a Taycan battery is $14-18k.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
well even half of that in weight reduction puts the car lighter than the current Panamera with a lower center of gravity and better weight distribution...pretty cool.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
to replace the current battery costs about $60,000 for the part alone. My guess is, a battery swap is even harder than an engine swap.
according to Porsche Servcie manager in Silly-con valley - 4 hours of billed shop time - less than swapping a PDK transmission.

the trick is _NOT_ the physical swap of the battery - it's the "pairing" of the battery controller to the vehicle - this is likely to block 3rd party batteries since they will not have access to the protocol/code to allow the battery to speak to the vehicle…and trick in this case refers to not complexity - but to how proprietary it is - it's simple if you have PWIS a Porsche Battery and Controller - but non-Porsche vendors may not be able to get the code/software/communications in place to "talk" to the vehicle and 'train' it on the Battery's capacity/charging needs - it's trivial with vendor product and their configuration software - potentially impossible for any one other than the OEM - because while the batteries "power" system are simple straight forward non-propietary DC power - the batteries digital controls systems are a locked box…and may only be accessible by Porsche.

swapping a porsche battery with a porsche battery takes less shop time than it did to remove/fit my Pano-glass roof which came from delivery scratched…

it's not a big deal…

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
to replace the current battery costs about $60,000 for the part alone
That is why there is a business opportunity overhauling them as long as the design is good.

When hybrids first appeared there was concern about the cost of the traction battery but in fact, not only have they been found more reliable than mechanical parts they can be rebuilt for a reasonable cost.

FWIW my daughter has my first Prius which is 17 years old now and still going fine on its original traction battery. The 12V lead-acid accessory battery is small though and needs replacing every 4 years or so.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Except it's not $60k. It's less than $20k plus half a day's labor.
I still think the battery of an EV will end up being the source of service maintenance in the way all the deteriorating bits in an IC engined car are.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe that could expanded. A subscription service for new batteries every few years with the latest tech. Like a software subscription. Investors love recurring income. Depends on how much money they make on selling a new car or keeping an old car serviceable. In any event they will definitely be looking for revenue sources to keep their dealer model alive. All I am sure of, is my bank account will be on a diet.

SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Another reason — to WAIT before ordering ?
If you MUST have a longer distance battery I suppose. However for many of us, 200 real mileage capacity is just fine, and for those who want to travel, just wait until possibly next year when Elon opens up his vast network of fast charge stations to all EV's. Meanwhile, in my case just having taken delivery of my RWD Taycan this week, WOW I'm just bowled over how well and how much fun it is to drive. So in my humble opinion, no that future battery is NOT a reason to wait.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
fun fact, I put a deposit on a Hummer EV last week.

Weight is certainly not an issue for their engineers. The vehicle weight tops 4.5 TONS! (9,036 lbs) and the battery is 220kW. The battery is said to be a 1/3 of the total weight of the vehicle and replacement $30K +

All that with a 300+ range and a 0 to 60 spec of 3.5 seconds. Saw it in person - going to be disruptive to the market. Quality stuff (350kW charging option too).

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Report: New battery coming to reduce Taycan weight by 400kg and increasing charge rate and power?
ummmm - no - it won't - this is possible tech - but is unproven - does not exist and is not ready for production at this time - any time frame is speculative (in the extreme) and not actionable.

there are lots and lots and lots of "possible" battery technologies being investigated by multiple parties world wide - something will emerge and it will improve things - but at the moment no one has annouced any actual/reliable production plans with pricing and availability.

this thread title is simply misleading, false, and does not convey an accurate impression.

David Baldwino

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Turismo
Country flag
I saw this and confirm its not real. The 911 E-performance will be the first with a solid state battery, be in no doubt. It will be immense.....and immensely expensive. Keep the order for a Taycan, only a fool would cancel or defer.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ummmm - no - it won't - this is possible tech - but is unproven - does not exist and is not ready for production at this time - any time frame is speculative (in the extreme) and not actionable.

there are lots and lots and lots of "possible" battery technologies being investigated by multiple parties world wide - something will emerge and it will improve things - but at the moment no one has annouced any actual/reliable production plans with pricing and availability.

this thread title is simply misleading, false, and does not convey an accurate impression.
I will also "add' _ANY_ proven battery tech announced and production ready _TODAY_ would take at least 4 if not 5 years to land in a shipping product - 3 years _IF_ someone really really really wanted to push it…

to my knowledge there is _NOTHING_ that has been announced as series production ready with any manufacturer for any future EV that is a substantial improvement vs. industry standard LiON battery with minor tweaks from various manufacturers (example: Chevy tweaked the Bolt's battery from 60 kWh to 66 kWh between model years, but that's wasn't "new" LiON tech - it was a more aggressive software profile for the existing battery tech)

to my knowledge (and I watch this stuff alot) - there is NOTHING that has been announced by anybody that is ready for production products - we are stuck with current state of the art for LiON batteries for at least the next 3 or more Model Year vehicles (across the EV industry)…

I welcome data/references that refute this…not "we think it's possible to make unicorns that fart popcorn" announcements (like the one on this thread) - real honest - we have improved battery it's XX% more power for YY% weight savings and Car Manufacturer that has credibility has announced production vehicles for their MY'2025 vehicles will land this battery tech for medium to large scale production runs…

I look forward to any such we've done it - we're shipping in volume in a vehicle you can buy on MM/YYYY future date - it's going to be awesome

I've seen NOTHING like that.
Sponsored