texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Jeep Wrangler 392
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?

How annoying is it to not have a dedicated Porsche supercharger network compared to Tesla's?

Did the latest software update allow you to receive OTA updates rather than bringing your Taycan to the dealer?

Can you use your phone as a key or do you have to carry the fob?

Any other surprises you noticed after moving from a Tesla?

I already assume the interior/exterior finish is much better than a Tesla and the driving experience sounds amazing.

Thanks!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
less leg room
tesla supercharger network is vastly better
no OTA updates - need dealer visit
no phone as a key

all of these questions have been answered multiple times - you don't buy a Porsche if you're going to value Tesla's technology advantages.

if you want the best _EV_ that happens to be a car get the Tesla
if you want the best Sports Sedan that happens to be an EV get the Taycan

but there are trade offs.

given this is your first post you've started out sounding like a tesla-fan-boy trolls - the answers to these questions are well known and there are no surprises.

Taycan is a vastly better car than Tesla makes - but Tesla has several technology advantages that will take years for others to catch up - but most are not "necessary" and if you value build quality and drive quality and don't want a product with dicy quality problems you can do better than Tesla, but have to give up some of their advantages to gain other advantages (brakes that work for example).

good luck!

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
search is your friend - a new topic does not need to be started for this conversation - these are just a _FEW_ of the existing threads that will more than answer these questions…

if you want the best tech on wheels get a Tesla
if you want the best "wheels" driven by an EV motor get the Taycan

two very different products with different priorities/goals/markets

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-vs-telsa-m3p-thoughts.15268/#post-232385
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ormal-battle-of-two-very-different-evs.11102/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/road-trip-planning-taycan-vs-tesla.12477/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...tesla-model-3-performance-vs-taycan-4s.11333/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...tesla-model-3-lr-0-100kmph-acceleration.9682/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-feedback-from-anyone-who-has-done-this.4490/

Last edited:

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?

How annoying is it to not have a dedicated Porsche supercharger network compared to Tesla's?

Did the latest software update allow you to receive OTA updates rather than bringing your Taycan to the dealer?

I already assume the interior/exterior finish is much better than a Tesla and the driving experience sounds amazing.

Thanks!
Have a Model S in the garage next to the Taycan and compare the two all the time.

For a car with almost exactly the same exterior dimensions as a Model S the rear leg room is pathetic. I don't care. I don't sit back there. Trunk storage is less vs the Model S but adequate.

Not a lot of road tripping yet but so far Electrify America has worked (and EVgo, and FPL Evolution). Never without a hiccup, but I've always gotten a charge. The CCS networks in general are far behind Tesla's supercharger network in terms of reliability and ease of use. But they work. Just takes extra work and patience.

Dealer tells me that OTA updates will be limited to minor things and that dealer visits will be required for anything significant.

Fob only so far.

No real surprises except for how far behind the Porsche software is. The PCM has a steep learning curve and lacks the seamless connectivity of Tesla. For example it wont connect to the house WiFi so since there is no cell signal in my garage the car can't be reached via the app. Spotify won't work in my driveway due to a weak signal. Tesla connects instantly. Relatively minor annoyances in real life and there are workarounds.

Personally I think the Tesla drives/handles very well for a 4 door sedan. The Taycan is on a different level. Not a true sports car, but Porsche did an exceptional job with the suspension.

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I appreciate the response. Sorry I sounded like a Tesla fan-boy, but I assure you, I am not a troll. I am a very interested in buying a Taycan, but want to know what to expect.

I searched for rear passenger leg room, but didn't find much.

I know the road trip charging is not as good, just wondering if that difference is enough to create problems or concerns for some Taycan owners.

Finally, I watched a YouTuber that mentioned the latest dealer software update would allow OTA software updates and possibly using a phone a your key. I guess that didn't happen.

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have a Model S in the garage next to the Taycan and compare the two all the time.

For a car with almost exactly the same exterior dimensions as a Model S the rear leg room is pathetic. I don't care. I don't sit back there. Trunk storage is less vs the Model S but adequate.

Not a lot of road tripping yet but so far Electrify America has worked (and EVgo, and FPL Evolution). Never without a hiccup, but I've always gotten a charge. The CCS networks in general are far behind Tesla's supercharger network in terms of reliability and ease of use. But they work. Just takes extra work and patience.

Dealer tells me that OTA updates will be limited to minor things and that dealer visits will be required for anything significant.

Fob only so far.

No real surprises except for how far behind the Porsche software is. The PCM has a steep learning curve and lacks the seamless connectivity of Tesla. For example it wont connect to the house WiFi so since there is no cell signal in my garage the car can't be reached via the app. Spotify won't work in my driveway due to a weak signal. Tesla connects instantly. Relatively minor annoyances in real life and there are workarounds.

Personally I think the Tesla drives/handles very well for a 4 door sedan. The Taycan is on a different level. Not a true sports car, but Porsche did an exceptional job with the suspension.
Thank you for the response! I did not know that it wouldn't connect to a home WiFi network. That definitely makes it tougher to download larger updates.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I appreciate the response. Sorry I sounded like a Tesla fan-boy, but I assure you, I am not a troll. I am a very interested in buying a Taycan, but want to know what to expect.

I know the road trip charging is not as good, just wondering if that difference is enough to create problems or concerns for some Taycan owners.

Finally, I watched a YouTuber that mentioned the latest dealer software update would allow OTA software updates and possibly using a phone a your key. I guess that didn't happen.
I've owned since 2012:
  • Model S P85
  • Model S P85D
  • Model X P90D
  • Model X P100D
  • Model 3P
  • Tesla Model Y AWD
I miss none of them vs. my Taycan

the Taycan is a tight quick awesome sports sedan - more like a 911 with a rear seat than a sporty Model S
Model S's space/cargo/cabin space is on another level vs. Taycan (Model S is better)
but every time I turn the wheel or touch the brake peddle in the Taycan I know which car is better and it's the Taycan
everytime I touch the screen in the Taycan I know which car is better - the Tesla
and everytime I fast charge with the CCS network I miss the supercharger network - but it works, but rarely without some extra effort.
When the CCS/EA network "works" it's better faster than I _EVER_ experienced with my Tesla's - but it rarely works and most of hte time you do not get optimal charge rates
but it's never "stranded" me - but sometimes it tries really really hard - doesn't matter I don't fast charge very often.

if you want a driver's EV the Taycan win's hands down
if you want a practical large sedan with excellent acceleration and a world class fast charging network Tesla is hard to beat.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for the response! I did not know that it wouldn't connect to a home WiFi network. That definitely makes it tougher to download larger updates.
good thing there are no "larger" updates to download. Porsche's notion of "OTA" updates is an eMail telling you to bring your Taycan to the dealer for the major updates.

frankly the Taycan is a far less "connected" vehicle vs. the Tesla - so while it doesn't connect to home wifi it doesn't honestly matter that much cause there is so much less to do.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

you won't see phone as a key support until VW/Audi/Porsche offer that on other cars in their fleet - and so far radio silence on that front - best chance wouldv'e been the upcoming '24 Cayenne refresh or the forth coming Macan EV - and so far no mention - so I'd say next earliest opportunity would be like MY'2026 vehicles - but I wouldn't hold my breath…I don't see this as a priority for VW/Audi/Porsche.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

phone as key support will _NEVER_ come in _ANY_ update - it requires wireless hardware _NOT PHYSICALLY_ present any _ANY_ current porsche vehicle. So it's more than just a software update.

it will require all new hardware/supply-chain stuff be designed into the vehicle.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
op, you didn't sound like a fan-boy and your questions were perfectly legitimate. there's some quick triggers around here, but don't sweat it.

as a tesla owner moving to porsche i will say be prepared to miss some technical seamlessness, especially where radios and interfaces are concerned, but overall the taycan is a fantastic driving machine and the tesla is a computer platform that moves pretty well. very different beasts at the end of the day. if you like to drive, you will be much happier in the porsche. but, you don't need us to tell you that. :D

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I’d add another if…If you want the best looking head turner between EVs, then you take Taycan as well :angel:
and before i forget: welcome to the forum :like:
Yep, just picked up my 13 yr old from middle school for the first time in the Taycan. All the kids came out for an early release day while I was parked across the lawn in the pick-up line and all the boys were pointing and going "Woah whose car is that!?! I want that car! Is that a Tesla?! No it can't be! WoW look at that car!!!" My son just strolled over and got in :). Someone always has to say, usually incredulously, "Is that a Tesla?" and I told my kid, it's because Tesla is considered a "car of the future" right now, so they see a futuristic looking vehicle and think Tesla... but not for much longer 🤣 .

So fun though!!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We own a Model 3 and a Taycan. I'll try and give feedback.

This I can't comment on. Rear seats and doors are unnecessary items to me and I wish our cars had neither.

Eh, depends on how much you road trip. I did a ton of Taycan road tripping last year and it all went fine. I'll be trying again this year and will report back. Electrify America's chargers are super fast under the right conditions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We don't know yet. Supposedly? Maybe?

Need the fob.

Stick with Tesla if:
  • You value autopilot
  • You have a low tolerance for charging issues
  • You don't want a half dozen charge network apps
  • You aren't willing to pre-plan your routes for long trips.
Dramatically so and that's why we're here.
Sponsored