Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I just realized that the base wheels that come with the Model S and Model Y have hub caps. They use decorative covers instead of actually casting/forging the wheel design.

A $90k sedan with hub caps. :oops:

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? Nd9GcSmvZ4NBrLgv5SCK2Vn5U2xkpAQlquXxFWixg&usqp=CAU
Sponsored

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Now you get to the point. Not everybody has 120 000 USD to waste on junk.

Since we hardly use it it's no bother to keep it. More importantly, with just a short drive I can clearly separate reality from fanboy fiction! ;)
Not every Tesla owner is a Fanboy. Continuing to beat that drum gives your point less credibility. I could equally argue that Porsches are massively overpriced and that all Porsche owners are equally Kool-Aid drinkers.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and makes your choices. There's a reason we bought my wife a Cayenne and not a Q7 or a Touareg, even though mechanically they were all very similar at the time. It certainly wasn't because of price. Same reason I own a 911 instead of a cheaper, higher powered, Corvette.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not every Tesla owner is a Fanboy. Continuing to beat that drum gives your point less credibility. I could equally argue that Porsches are massively overpriced and that all Porsche owners are equally Kool-Aid drinkers.
You are right! Porsche in USA has the right price level but in most Asian countries they are insanely overpriced! Why did I buy? Nothing else even close like this was on the market over a year ago. When I buy my next car in a few years, I might be done with Porsche. I buy what gives me quality and functionality with a good looking package.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I put this in another thread not too long ago but we ordered a brand new Model X LRP last year. The car is a flaming, giant, piece of shit.

We have 10k on the car. In those 10k:

• The halfshafts were replaced 3x and are shot again. Shuddering under any kind of acceleration.
  • The endlinks are shot for the second time after being replaced with the first set of halfshafts at 3k. Anytime it goes into the SC it comes out with a new problem.
  • The car will completely reset itself every 5 days or we will have to do it every other day or so.
  • The backseat now needs to be replaced because the weight sensors are shot and the seatbelt lights go off with nobody in them.
  • The paint is terrible. Only car I've never sent off for paint correction and coating because the overspray and clear coat drip would need to be sanded to no end.
  • The fit and finish inside is laughable for a $90,000 car. It creaks and squeaks more than a Ford Focus.
  • (On the company itself) Tesla didn't process our paperwork for 6 months. We didn't get a title for the car until March...we took delivery in mid-September.
I wanted a Plaid. I ordered a Taycan instead and I hope this flaming hunk of shit Model X goes to Rich Rebuilds or somebody that can deal with it. We just ordered a Model Y Performance...she loves the tech and I can't argue there.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I put this in another thread not too long ago but we ordered a brand new Model X LRP last year. The car is a flaming, giant, piece of shit.

We have 10k on the car. In those 10k:

• The halfshafts were replaced 3x and are shot again. Shuddering under any kind of acceleration.
  • The endlinks are shot for the second time after being replaced with the first set of halfshafts at 3k. Anytime it goes into the SC it comes out with a new problem.
  • The car will completely reset itself every 5 days or we will have to do it every other day or so.
  • The backseat now needs to be replaced because the weight sensors are shot and the seatbelt lights go off with nobody in them.
  • The paint is terrible. Only car I've never sent off for paint correction and coating because the overspray and clear coat drip would need to be sanded to no end.
  • The fit and finish inside is laughable for a $90,000 car. It creaks and squeaks more than a Ford Focus.
  • (On the company itself) Tesla didn't process our paperwork for 6 months. We didn't get a title for the car until March...we took delivery in mid-September.
I wanted a Plaid. I ordered a Taycan instead and I hope this flaming hunk of shit Model X goes to Rich Rebuilds or somebody that can deal with it. We just ordered a Model Y Performance...she loves the tech and I can't argue there.
Does tech mean the infotainment screen?

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I just watched Shmee 150’s review of Brooks Weisblat’s Plaid. Once you get past the obnoxiousness of both of them, I’m staring at that interior (and exterior) and I am gobsmacked that somebody would pay $140k for that. Utter disbelief. Ripping a 1/4 mile in 9.3 at 150 mph is absolutely insane. INSANE. Waiting for the car to get into “cheetah stance” is annoying but still, those numbers are otherworldly. But I can’t believe why you’d buy that car as a daily. Or even a weekend canyon carver.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm not saying they do everything perfectly, but they are run like a Silicon Valley startup. It's all about constant/consistent innovation, it's not a model other manufacturers are used to. Don't think of their cars as a product, but rather a development platform which is constantly being improved upon.
This is exactly why you should never own a Tesla. This is exactly how Teslas kill people. Read some posts by former engineers about how they push OTA updates to cars without properly testing them or read about the crashes caused by their software malfunctioning. It's no joke and it should taken more seriously by the NHTSA.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
The features within, yes. I don't think she would own one if it wasn't for the ability to watch stuff on that screen while charging.
Yeah I've heard the tech argument before, and as someone who works in the Tech industry, I don't buy into it. I think too many people get enamored by shiny tech and ignore systematic quality and service issues, wasting both money and mental energy on both.

If I want to watch a movie in my Taycan while it's charging, I'll just buy an iPad with a 5G connection and keep it in the frunk.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
The features within, yes. I don't think she would own one if it wasn't for the ability to watch stuff on that screen while charging.
Yeah, it really needs to be said that Tesla is more of a great research technology company that just so happens to make mediocre cars. Before my Taycan I had a 2013 Model S P85, and up until the day I sold it last year, it was still getting updated, and TBH had better tech and features than a well equipped Taycan nearly 8 years newer. But that's where it ended. It was straight line fast and surprisingly reliable, but the build quality and panel gaps were horrendous, and certainly nothing near how a car in 2013 that cost 110k back then should have looked in terms of fit and finish.

I would Recommend a Model 3 or Y to someone looking for a car at the 50k price point all day long. Even then their finish isn't as good as cars in those price points, but the gap isn't as bad as it is in the S and X next to peers, and total package is hard to beat.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
This is exactly why you should never own a Tesla. This is exactly how Teslas kill people. Read some posts by former engineers about how they push OTA updates to cars without properly testing them or read about the crashes caused by their software malfunctioning. It's no joke and it should taken more seriously by the NHTSA.
https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

Safest car I own. In fact, was driving my daughter yesterday, the car in front of me was just dragging his brakes as we were all slowing down. All of the sudden Tesla engaged the brakes so hard everything flew forward. I didn't notice it, but the guy in front of me actually slammed on his brakes. Came within a foot of rear-ending that car. First time that ever happened to me in almost 3-years of ownership.

When I bought the car it didn't have the active side-collision-avoidance features that it does today and I hate to admit that it has come in handy as well. I'll take the OTA updates and constant improvements over the alternative ;)

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think there is a slightly missed point here.

Assume hypothetically you are the product manager for the Taycan and Porsche means performance, it's not a lux brand. When the car came out it was the best. Lots of discussion about 0-60 times and quarter miles and the car showed really well.

Time moves on and you are no long the big swinging EV. At least as far as the Turbo and S's are concerned.

What do you do next? Based on the experience for the MY 2022, for MY 2023 you add some more paint colors?

You need more than that. So what's the response? Maybe you feel no additional response is required. Fair enough.

And I am quite happy with my MY 2020 4S. It was the best at the time and still does everything I want it to.

But times change and what works changes also.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I think there is a slightly missed point here.

Assume hypothetically you are the product manager for the Taycan and Porsche means performance, it's not a lux brand. When the car came out it was the best. Lots of discussion about 0-60 times and quarter miles and the car showed really well.

Time moves on and you are no long the big swinging EV. At least as far as the Turbo and S's are concerned.

What do you do next? Based on the experience for the MY 2022, for MY 2023 you add some more paint colors?

You need more than that. So what's the response? Maybe you feel no additional response is required. Fair enough.

And I am quite happy with my MY 2020 4S. It was the best at the time and still does everything I want it to.

But times change and what works changes also.
What is the solution? How should Porsche approach this?

Porsche was never the fastest, most luxurious, rarest car brand.

Reactions: cfp

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
What I’m learning from some people in here is that horsepower and 0-60 times make a car, nothing else. Oh and tech, lots of it, doesn’t matter if it’s stable or not. Fart sounds and a cruise control that might make you crash into another car or wall. Doesn’t matter, because it’s cool tech.

Man Porsche has no idea how to make cars…

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
What is the solution? How should Porsche approach this?
Improve quality, service and make sure the software works. Then electrify other models utilizing innovative VW platforms. Improve on battery tech, etc... There is infinite amount of work for them. I hope Porsche got enough confirmation with the Taycan sales numbers and customer feedback, that not looking at T was the right choice.

Those who think they need netflix and fart app baked into the car might never be able to appreciate the handling of a Porsche...
Sponsored