ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Ron-b here are two photos of my cable in Europe. Rated at 480 volt and 32 amp. It is three phase and came with the Porsche charger that is good for 22 kW charge! The cable is the 25 foot one, (7.5) meters. I have no idea what that will mean in the US though if you do not have three phase?
Thank you for the photos Peter, I'm sure it will not be three phase in the US as it will be the J-1772 not the IEC 62196 Type 2 (Mennekes) connector. But I am hopeful that a US cord is equally overrated.
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
10 Gauge wire (10 AWG) in the USA is rated for a 30 amp circuit, 24 amps continuous. You double (or halve if smaller) the current every 3 gauges. A 60 amp circuit would require 7 gauge wire. A 50 amp circuit (40 amps continuous, e.g., NEMA 14-50 socket or plug) would require 8 gauge wire.
Well I was guessing on the AWG based on the area of 6.0mm², I was looking at https://www.jst.fr/doc/jst/pdf/current_rating.pdf
Which showed 50A for 5.26mm² though that is a French chart.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
@Ron-bt is three phase and came with the Porsche charger that is good for 22 kW charge!

03876E91-A1AA-4804-9AEF-FEF6BDFF0B41.jpeg
EE9D8E54-62B0-4FBE-A6AC-BB65DB1B3E06.jpeg
Great cable, came with the charger? Is that standard then? That’s perfect as I’m planning to put a three phase socket at the office.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Great cable, came with the charger? Is that standard then? That’s perfect as I’m planning to put a three phase socket at the office.
Yes the cable came as standard with my car. I got two cables for charger to car, one 7.5 meter and one 2.5 meter.
I also got two cables for supply, one a normal single phase earthed cable and one 32 amp red plug rated at three phase 32 amp.
I think here in Europe it is a no charge option with some alternatives to choose from.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes the cable came as standard with my car. I got two cables for charger to car, one 7.5 meter and one 2.5 meter.
I also got two cables for supply, one a normal single phase earthed cable and one 32 amp red plug rated at three phase 32 amp.
I think here in Europe it is a no charge option with some alternatives to choose from.
Brilliant. Thanks for the info. The 32 Amp three phase red plug is great info, as I’ll get my electrician to order that for the office. I’m thinking of putting the Charger mount casing outside the office and I’ll try to fit the socket in the casing so it can’t be tampered with. Is the case lockable? I know the charger has a pin code to activate so weekends etc no one will be able to charge. Is that info right?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes you can set a PIN code on the charger if you want to. Works very well. I have no experience of charger box since I have my charger I; my garage and did not bother with that. The wall holder works well and you can easily bring the charger if you like to on a trip.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes you can set a PIN code on the charger if you want to. Works very well. I have no experience of charger box since I have my charger I; my garage and did not bother with that. The wall holder works well and you can easily bring the charger if you like to on a trip.
Great, that’s what I’m planning to do then. I’ve got a 7.2kw Zappi at home, but I don’t drive that much in town so probably set my charge minimum at 85% and charge mostly at work, if I’m going on trips I’ll load the charger and charge that night at home to 100% then set off.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Well I was guessing on the AWG based on the area of 6.0mm², I was looking at https://www.jst.fr/doc/jst/pdf/current_rating.pdf
Which showed 50A for 5.26mm² though that is a French chart.
The table shows the rating of a single wire in free air (able to dissipate heat), however, it does not show the temperature so it is a guideline but not a reference. Multiple wires in cables trap heat and reduce their single-wire rating.. 50 amps in two 10 gauge wires produces a lot of heat:
  • 10 Gauge copper wire is ~1 milliohm (0.001 ohm) per foot
  • Power = Amps^2 x Resistance
  • Power in 1 foot = 50 x 50 x 0.001 = 2.5 watts per wire
  • Power of 2 (10 gauge) wires @ 25 feet = 2.5 x 2 x 25 = 125 watts
125 watts trapped in a cable is a lot of heat and high risk.

This table aligns with USA National electrical Code (NEC):

https://www.thespruce.com/matching-wire-size-to-circuit-amperage-1152865

Electrical current is measured in ampacity, and each wire gauge has a maximum safe carrying capacity. For standard non-metallic (NM) cable, these amperage capacities are:

Amperage Capacities for Standard Non-Metallic (NM) Cable
14-gauge wire15 amps
12-gauge wire20 amps
10-gauge wire30 amps
8-gauge wire40 amps
6-gauge wire55 amps
4-gauge wire70 amps
3-gauge wire85 amps
2-gauge wire95 amps
These ratings are for standard copper NM sheathed cable

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In US (Florida), my electrician used 8-gauge wire for my 50 amp circuit with the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I highly doubt Porsche is going to supply it's customers with cables that aren't certified to work properly with the charger. We're safe. ;)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I highly doubt Porsche is going to supply it's customers with cables that aren't certified to work properly with the charger. We're safe. ;)
I was only worried the charger may step down if on the 25', but I know now that I was being rediculous.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In US (Florida), my electrician used 8-gauge wire for my 50 amp circuit with the NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Wow, believe according to code should be 6AWG. I installed 6 AWG and you can feel a little warmth in the cable while charging, you may want to place your hand on your supply cable while charging. Perhaps if you have a short run it’s fine, mine was 60 feet.

FWIW only

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow, believe according to code should be 6AWG. I installed 6 AWG and you can feel a little warmth in the cable while charging, you may want to place your hand on your supply cable while charging. Perhaps if you have a short run it’s fine, mine was 60 feet.

FWIW only
Thanks Paul. I went back to my electrician and he said it was a typo in his message to me - he did use 6 gauge. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm charging now so will see if the cable feels warm. Mine is a relatively short distance - maybe 50-60 feet as well.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The cable is going to feel warm, because there's a lot of juice going through it. It just shouldn't be getting too hot to touch. Even the charge cord is going to feel warm after 8hrs of 10A+ going through it.
Sponsored