JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
There are several ways of skinning the cat, I agree. My comment was based on the super off peak rate in the post. I have no idea of what hours the On peak hours are! But let us assume they are between 18.00 and 20.30, when everybody returns home. They set the aircon to max, start cooking and turn on lights and televisions etc.

If you now have set your minimum charge to 85% and plug your car in at 18.00 you will be using the on peak rate for 2.5 hours and the normal off peak rate for 2.5 hours?

It is still cheaper than petrol but not optimal.

If you on the other hand set a departure timer for 07.00, the car will start charging at a suitable time so that it can reach the set (85%) level by 07.00. The time it will start depends of course on how powerful the charger is and the SOC of the batttery?

Just my thoughts.
You can find out whether there are off-peak hours by asking your electricity provider. Actually, every provider has off-peak hours. The better question is whether they have a plan which offers you a discount. Mine, for example, has a plan that charges me 20% less between 9pm and 6am. So I charge between those hours and see a discount every month. Oh, by the way, I also do laundry and dshes after 9pm.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You have to really look at your local rates to decide between TOU (time of use) plans and regular plans. When we got a Bolt 3 years ago, I looked at switching to one of PG&E's TOU plans for EV owners and decided it'd cost me more than just sticking on my current plan. For PG&E's plan, the rates for the times we use most the rest of our electricity are MUCH higher, and even with my wife's 80mi round-trip commute, the EV rate plans made no sense. I'm glad that I could download a spreadsheet of usage from PG&E and then do math to calculate what I'd pay on each of their different rate plans.

Now, there's an upper bound of electricity usage where the base rate is so high that I'd have to consider another plan. Too bad I can't have a 2nd meter installed, or I'd just do that. PG&E had a pilot program where the EVSE would report how much energy was used and could act as a virtual 2nd meter, but they killed that program.

We still charge her car at night, just to be friendly to the grid.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
You have to really look at your local rates to decide between TOU (time of use) plans and regular plans. When we got a Bolt 3 years ago, I looked at switching to one of PG&E's TOU plans for EV owners and decided it'd cost me more than just sticking on my current plan. For PG&E's plan, the rates for the times we use most the rest of our electricity are MUCH higher, and even with my wife's 80mi round-trip commute, the EV rate plans made no sense. I'm glad that I could download a spreadsheet of usage from PG&E and then do math to calculate what I'd pay on each of their different rate plans.

Now, there's an upper bound of electricity usage where the base rate is so high that I'd have to consider another plan. Too bad I can't have a 2nd meter installed, or I'd just do that. PG&E had a pilot program where the EVSE would report how much energy was used and could act as a virtual 2nd meter, but they killed that program.

We still charge her car at night, just to be friendly to the grid.
Yep. I had to check out several plans. One of them had 50% off during those non-peak hours, but “daytime” rates were FOUR times as high. Since we have to use AC and fridge all day, we rejected that plan, but took the 20% off plan.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
while no one knows for sure where Porsche has SOC capacity buffers in this car - we do know of the possible 93 kWh only 84.x kWh are available to the "consumer" of the vehicle…now that leaves 9 kWh of "unused" capacity - it's therefore is highly unlikely that the entire 9 kWh is "bottom" buffer.
@daveo4EV, it looks to me that Porsche battery has roughly 90 / bit over 90 kWh available for use. I think there is probably very little left at the top of the battery - as you could see from the downhill short test there appears to be less regeneration when starting from 100% than from 85%.

Today I tried something different. I drove to Minneapolis starting at 86%, used on the way there 28.3 kWh/100mi (10 mph tailwind according to local weather). I then charged to nearly 100% (OK, 96%) then headed back home. I used on the way back 34.1 kWh/100 mile (10 mile headwind). Usually the difference is tiny - a little better on the way to MPLS (very slight drop - couple hundred feet). I think the big difference was related to wind; however, again I had the impression regen was quite limited when starting at close to 100%. I must find a day without wind to test this again...... Or charge to 100% and do back to back same loop. Will post some more.

Again estimated battery size based on today's trip ~92 kWh.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was just on the My Porsche website/portal and under the Owner's Manual Videos they have one posted for "Attaching the Charging Dock and connect the cable" which I had not seen before. Video seems to show this as a hard-wired installation rather than using a plug. I can't include the video link because it's in our My Porsche account.

I haven't seen that adapter cable available for the PMCC- maybe that one has the proper rating for the US.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was just on the My Porsche website/portal and under the Owner's Manual Videos they have one posted for "Attaching the Charging Dock and connect the cable" which I had not seen before. Video seems to show this as a hard-wired installation rather than using a plug. I can't include the video link because it's in our My Porsche account.

I haven't seen that adapter cable available for the PMCC- maybe that one has the proper rating for the US.
@HelfFL in the US it will come with a plug based on what you selected in your order. I think the default is NEMA14-50. The box mounts over the outlet but pay attention to the orientation of the outlet because I found it worked best (maybe only) with the outlet upside down.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@HelfFL in the US it will come with a plug based on what you selected in your order. I think the default is NEMA14-50. The box mounts over the outlet but pay attention to the orientation of the outlet because I found it worked best (maybe only) with the outlet upside down.
Thanks @lay3r3. That is my current setup at home but I'm one of those experiencing the uncomfortably high temperatures on the PMCC adapter cable and my circuit breaker. So was just thinking if there is a direct wire option coming than maybe that cable has a different gauge than the 14-50 one that came with the PMCC.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks @lay3r3. That is my current setup at home but I'm one of those experiencing the uncomfortably high temperatures on the PMCC adapter cable and my circuit breaker. So was just thinking if there is a direct wire option coming than maybe that cable has a different gauge than the 14-50 one that came with the PMCC.
Ah. I noticed in the manual some of the other countries have direct wire. I bet it’s just a difference of that “dongle” that is screwed on.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After many months, I may get my car next week. I need to finish up my charging setup. I have the mobile charger connect mounted in my garage, with the 25 foot cable going to the spot where I'll plug it into the car, with about 6 feet of slack to spare. Any more thoughts on how I should hang the cable from the garage wall next to the car?

And I set up and configured the mobile charger connect. It talks about a charging management system. What's that? It gives you an option of linking the charger to that (over wifi, I think...), or setting a fixed amperage that I would charge with.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After many months, I may get my car next week. I need to finish up my charging setup. I have the mobile charger connect mounted in my garage, with the 25 foot cable going to the spot where I'll plug it into the car, with about 6 feet of slack to spare. Any more thoughts on how I should hang the cable from the garage wall next to the car?

And I set up and configured the mobile charger connect. It talks about a charging management system. What's that? It gives you an option of linking the charger to that (over wifi, I think...), or setting a fixed amperage that I would charge with.
I just coil mine up on the floor below the charger - it’s pretty durable. There’s a Home Management system, which can help with load and charging at the lowest rates, but that’s not really an issue here in MA. My PMCC is connected to my WiFi network and on first boot it downloaded an update. I have 50 amp service and have it set to 40 amps and get great performance.

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage 0BDFAD9C-CE9D-4726-972A-74AADA67D84E

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. So the home management system is what I’m talking about? What’s that? I’m wondering if there’s something I can use to monitor how much electricity and dollars I’ve used to charge the car.
Putting the cable on the floor won’t work for me. I’d run over it. The garage wall is only about three feet from the side of the car.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. So the home management system is what I’m talking about? What’s that? I’m wondering if there’s something I can use to monitor how much electricity and dollars I’ve used to charge the car.
Putting the cable on the floor won’t work for me. I’d run over it. The garage wall is only about three feet from the side of the car.
The home management system is a separate thing Porsche is selling I believe. The PMCC itself has a web interface that logs all usage and you can connect to it to pull down a CSV with all the times and energy fed to the car.

I coil mine on the wall box... you know, the over priced Porsche box :) Seriously though it works well and looks nice but you for sure could just mount some hooks on the wall to accomplish the same thing if you’ve got the PMCC already fastened next to an outlet.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
one of the few redeeming qualities of the PMCC is it has it own “meter” - it keeps track of Total KWh’s - and can show you break downs by charging sessions.
Sponsored