Silencing the Trunk Beeper

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After reading all the posts on this forum about the trunk beep volume reduction, I added it to the delivery checklist for my dealership to perform. The Taycan-trained master mechanic could not find anything about PIWIS configuration of this setting in the English-language service documentation. Fortunately, he is fluent in German, and was able to find some vague reference in the German documentation. That led him to the beep volume setting in PIWIS, with selections from 1 to 7, but no apparent way to save the setting. He was however able to completely turn it off. As an earlier post mentioned, beeping may still be enabled for an obstruction, but I haven't tested that.
@Genau - would you be able to find out exactly where that setting is in PIWIS? The forum would be eternally in your debt!
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Genau - would you be able to find out exactly where that setting is in PIWIS? The forum would be eternally in your debt!
That was the Tysons Corner (Virginia) Porsche dealership -- not sure how I would pry the information out of them. But a friend's shop is getting a PIWIS soon and I'm sure he'll find the setting.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That was the Tysons Corner (Virginia) Porsche dealership -- not sure how I would pry the information out of them. But a friend's shop is getting a PIWIS soon and I'm sure he'll find the setting.
Sorry, I don’t understand. Didn’t they work on your car? Couldn’t you ask? I don’t think they’d think it was proprietary information.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry, I don’t understand. Didn’t they work on your car? Couldn’t you ask? I don’t think they’d think it was proprietary information.
They silenced the beeper as part of my pre-delivery checklist before I took ownership of the car. The salesman told me later about how their master mechanic used his German fluency to figure out the setting.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
They silenced the beeper as part of my pre-delivery checklist before I took ownership of the car. The salesman told me later about how their master mechanic used his German fluency to figure out the setting.
Or just bridge the circuit with a paperclip ;)

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I unplugged the speaker myself over the weekend. A little tricky to make sure you don't lose any clips/introduce any rattles but the silence is wonderful!

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Any luck finding that setting?

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any chance you could ask them for the correct method to silence the speaker? I'd love to silence mine.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any chance you could ask them for the correct method to silence the speaker? I'd love to silence mine.
Unplug it. Bridge connector if needed.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Unplug it. Bridge connector if needed.
You can probably add a resistor in series with a speaker to make it quieter Alternatively, inject some insulation foam spray into the speaker? I haven't met a speaker which is not quieted down by some expanding spray foam.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can probably add a resistor in series with a speaker to make it quieter Alternatively, inject some insulation foam spray into the speaker? I haven't met a speaker which is not quieted down by some expanding spray foam.
I'd like to remove the entire assembly eventually.

BobC

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any luck finding that setting?
I just had my car in to service (removed the Sport Chronograph 'clock') and asked if they could find the PIWIS setting for this. The shop foreman was willing to try and we even had one of the sales guys, who spoke German try to help, but they couldn't figure out how to do it.

Anybody ever get more details on the PIWIS settings for this? I guess I'll unplug it in the meantime, but would prefer to properly silence it for normal operation, and still retain the other sound for the obstruction warning. Thx

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just had my car in to service (removed the Sport Chronograph 'clock') and asked if they could find the PIWIS setting for this. The shop foreman was willing to try and we even had one of the sales guys, who spoke German try to help, but they couldn't figure out how to do it.

Anybody ever get more details on the PIWIS settings for this? I guess I'll unplug it in the meantime, but would prefer to properly silence it for normal operation, and still retain the other sound for the obstruction warning. Thx
Beeper volume is a setting in the German developer mode of PIWIS that is not documented in English. PIWIS developer mode is discussed in this article: http://crp129.com/2022/03/05/981-sport-chrono-retrofit-on-software-side/. If someone has access to a PIWIS and is fluent in German (or handy with an augmented reality translation app), they should be able to find the setting.

BobC

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Beeper volume is a setting in the German developer mode of PIWIS that is not documented in English. PIWIS developer mode is discussed in this article: http://crp129.com/2022/03/05/981-sport-chrono-retrofit-on-software-side/. If someone has access to a PIWIS and is fluent in German (or handy with an augmented reality translation app), they should be able to find the setting.
@Genau, thx for the info about PIWIS 'developer mode'. I'll pass it on to my Service Dept to see if they can make any progress on this (with help of their native German speaking SA). In the meantime, I just had the trunk speaker unplugged. The silence is great!
Sponsored