*SOLVED* - locking your doors WIHTOUT keyfob - using your hand...

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I would argue something is broken then. I'd take it to the dealership, show them this video, and demand they fix it.

This design has been in use for a while on other Porsches. You could try locking other cars at the dealership to see if it's just your car or something magic about your finger.
On so many cars the same issue, I’d doubt they’d know how to even address it unless Porsche puts out a fix. As far as I’ve been following here and elsewhere, nothing exists. Car goes in next week for first 20k mile service, I’ll have them look, but I dont really expect anything of it.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would argue something is broken then. I'd take it to the dealership, show them this video, and demand they fix it.

This design has been in use for a while on other Porsches. You could try locking other cars at the dealership to see if it's just your car or something magic about your finger.
If I brought my Taycan to the dealership for troubleshooting, as soon as they discovered the door handles are PPFd, they’d make me remove it. At that point I’m guessing there’s a good chance the feature would work as designed and I’d be paying for the shop time.

The feature works by detecting a change in capacitance at the surface of the handle. The reason some people with PPF don't report the issue may be due to the different properties of different PPFs. For example my STEK DynoShield has a surface that emulates ceramic coat, which surely changes the ability of the padded portion of my fingertip to register a change in capacitance below the painted surface of the handle.

The ”back of finger method“ solves the problem for me, probably because the absence of the finger pad causes a larger capacitance change at the handle surface.

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
I had problems locking my Taycan until this thread. I do have Suntek PPF with the ceramic coating as well. After spending all week with the Taycan on a roadtrip, using this method worked 100% of the time.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
That makes sense that PPF screws it up.

It definitely screwed up the frunk entry for me (unless washing the car at which point it's happy to open.)

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Its a push and hold not a tap and go function
This. It works for me 100% of the time, using my finger in a normal way without any contortions! Just press AND HOLD the detent for maybe a second and a half or two seconds.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Fingers under handle to open, bent finger joint touch and hold to lock.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It sucks, plain and simple. Shouldn't be this difficult.

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Its a push and hold not a tap and go function
For those with the touch lock working intermittently it doesn’t matter if it’s pressed and held or a quick but firm touch. It just doesn’t work. I get it to work by having the key in my pocket but far from the handle (“I make the the pivot”). I’ll try the back of my finger later.

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for posting this! I like many others get the "touch to lock" function to work a 90% of the time, but when it doesn't work it drives me a bit nuts and I feel like a fool standing there trying different fingers, etc.

Recently when the initial touch doesn't seem to work, I've taken to holding my finger on the indentation and giving the car a second or two before I try something else. Sometimes the "touch and hold"' approach works. If nothing is working I either move to a back door and try that or take out my key (old style).

I definitely plan to try the back of finger (the middle one) the next time the problem happens :)
Ya, when the touch lock doesn’t work for me I use my middle finger directed at the Porsche logo on the hood for the car. Nothing locks when I do that, but I feel better!

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
P
It works perfectly for me... as long as I touch the door with the hand opposite the pocket my key is in. The problem is almost certainly that the car can't reliably tell if the key is inside or outside the car. If the car thinks the key is inside, you can't lock or unlock the doors with comfort access. Having the key in the "outside" pocket means it's probably a foot further away, so the car has an easier time telling that the key is not inside.

Another common problem is interference from a cell phone, certain wallets, or even other keys. If CA works reliably when the key is in a pocket by itself, that's likely the issue.

All my cars since probably 2009 have had CA, and they've all been exactly the same way. My 550i was the worst by far. I had to stand so far away from the driver's door to use CA that I found it easier just to use the rear passenger door instead.
Your “opposite pocket” method is probably the same reason my pivot method works for me. It moves the key further from the car. Also, your theory about the car could possibly be making sure the key is not inside the car might be correct. That sounds logical.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ya, when the touch lock doesn’t work for me I use my middle finger directed at the Porsche logo on the hood for the car. Nothing locks when I do that, but I feel better!
BEST RESPONSE EVER !!!!!!!!

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope. That’s how it is SUPPOSED to work, but many of us have varying degrees of success doing that. Some have no problem at all. Every car I’ve ever had before my Taycan has worked perfectly. Our 2019 Cayenne works perfectly. Taycan is “iffy”.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The two taps on the fob are needed for those of us whose vehicles were delivered with a faulty interior motion detection alarm. Two taps on the fob w/i two seconds locks the car with the interior motion detector disabled. Normally this is needed only when something is left behind that moves around (e.g. a pet).

Until the interior motion detector is upgraded/fixed - it'll be two taps on the fob for some of us

(TIP: don't use the close and lock button on the trunk - doing so will lock the car w/o disabling the interior motion detector)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I tried with the key right next to the door. Works.

I tried with the key held as far away from the door as I could. Works.

I held my phone right next to the key. Works.

I got a second phone and made a little key/phone sandwich. Works.

Ar this point, I’m betting mine works without the key.
Sponsored