First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Quick update

Got confirmation today that it is 100% the 22kW AC charger that caused the breakdown. My fourth replacement should be installed in a few weeks.

Not surprised to hear it was the charger again – all previous three chargers have failed..

Communications from everyone at Porsche Centre Dublin has been great – its not their fault it keeps breaking.

Decisions to make now as we don't really want this recurring issue. I don't even want to think how difficult this would have been if it happened a few weeks previously in the remote arctic circle.
Yep as we'd guessed at. What a shambles (really).
Sponsored

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
While I haven't strongly pushed for this because it may not be in my interest to do so – the initial consensus is that it would not be possible and could have side effects.

The VIN is strongly tied across Porsche systems to the factory specification and to have a mismatch would bring the car out of support. Apparently, things like PIWIS would detect the difference and it is unclear what problems it could cause.

Software updates for example, are strongly linked to VIN numbers and again this has the potential to cause issues. My car would be in an untested configuration if I was to agree to it.

I do a lot of 1-phase charging at 6kW/25A – to match the current notice on the configurator. I also do a lot of 3-phase 22kW charging here in Ireland when at hotels or remote villages that don't have DC charging – there are 1000s of public 22kW chargers in Ireland.
Oh Sh… is all I can say as my CT4S has arrived at the Porsche centre Dublin and with the 22KW charger, reading here on the forum and as You pointed out, Ireland has many more 22KW chargers in small towns. On a different note, it has been shipped without the Pedestrian Warning speaker, so cant take delivery

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Has the 22kw charger issue been fixed with a reworked part (like the heater issue?).
Or are they just replacing a like for like part that is prone to fail?

And if the latter, will the amended charging advice at a lower charge stop it from happening again?

I would like to see it fixed....that car is a legend and needs many more new adventures (although I wouldn't really recommend taking it on a road trip to Rio any more). ?

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
so this happened to me today, how best to proceed. hook up a batter charger to it? ( its seems to have power) or get it towed to dealer? I cannot even move it

Porsche Taycan Stuck abroad with electrical error IMG_5658

Porsche Taycan Stuck abroad with electrical error IMG_5659

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Is it refusing to go from neutral to drive/reverse? Do you have the optional 22kW (or equivalent) AC charger?

Firstly, I would try locking the car – waling away from 15 mins or so – and trying again – see if a car sleep/wake cycle improves it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Is it refusing to go from neutral to drive/reverse? Do you have the optional 22kW (or equivalent) AC charger?

Firstly, I would try locking the car – waling away from 15 mins or so – and trying again – see if a car sleep/wake cycle improves it.

Just a qualifier - we had this happen once in the lifetime of the car (we know def to do with a one time adapter attachment issue, another story) but we also tried a ca 15 min wait and that did not work - so we locked and left it again but this time for a full 40 mins (possibly 45mins) and that DID work! Started up as normal not a single issue since, 1000 miles later.

Now this is not a solve all i.e. this error springs up for a host of reasons however I would def advise a min. of 40 minutes locked before reattempting to restart - my 2c!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick Update

Car back with me in Dublin - with 22kW charger replaced (4th unit). Right now there is nothing really stopping it from failing again. Its obvious that Porsche are well aware of the issues/challenges with this charger and are working on a permanent solution but nothing concrete to share yet.

Have to say that the communications and way that Porsche Centre Dublin have handled it has been great so far. They were handed a tough situation that is not of their making.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Quick Update

Car back with me in Dublin - with 22kW charger replaced (4th unit). Right now there is nothing really stopping it from failing again. Its obvious that Porsche are well aware of the issues/challenges with this charger and are working on a permanent solution but nothing concrete to share yet.

Have to say that the communications and way that Porsche Centre Dublin have handled it has been great so far. They were handed a tough situation that is not of their making.
Out of interest, did they get any more info than I posted earlier in the thread about the incoming solution (given you are probably the person closest to the coalface..)? I've got a trip to the Cairngorms in May, unexpectedly the Airbnb has a 7.4kW Chargepoint. I'd been planning to use a 50 or 22kW in a close by village but would just the couple of charges be worth the 7kW gamble 😬...

So long as the 50kW is free think I'll probably get to 85% on that and then possibly use the 7kW to set off with 100%.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They got nothing but vague answers from Porsche – certainly no commitment on a fix – or if it would be software or hardware. While I have turned down my local charger to 5.8kW – to match the configuration recommendation – I intend to continue to charge where it is convenient (meaning 7kW) destination chargers when away.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I don’t think you can reduce the charge on all home charge points. I certainly don’t think it is possible on mine (Andersen), so I am not quite sure what Porsche expect people to do if they have the 22kW option and can’t reduce the power of their home charger (the one that Porsche recommend users install).
Sponsored