Taycan is a Sports Car

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Taycan is definitely not a pure sports car, but can more or less be turned into one with the right chassis setting and driver mentality:)
In my country you get pulled over if you are driving "sporty".
Sponsored

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
According to the dictionary (Merriam Webster) a sports car is: "a low small usually two-passenger automobile designed for high-speed driving." I don't believe there is a "definitive" definition of a sports car and everything from my old Triumph Spitfire 4 to Mustangs has been called a sports car.

If you're going to stick with the two-passenger requirement then you eliminate the majority of Porsches. Heck, maybe there should be a Sports SUV category. I mean the top Caynne can outperform some of the "pure" sports cars on the track.

My take on all of this is "who cares?". If you call a Taycan a Sports Car most people wouldn't even blink. Now if you start calling a Cadillac Eldorado, or a VW Bus sports car you'll likely get some raised eyebrows. 🤣

My Taycan is low, small (compared to many cars), and designed to be driven fast. I never let anyone sit in the back seats except occasionally my puppies so it is really a two-passenger car as well. ;)

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was another thread about Porsche investor day (IIRC)... the Taycan was referred to as a "limousine." For as excited as I am to get a Taycan... I pay little attention to the marketing words chosen and think of it neither as a "sports car" nor "limousine." :)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Fairly low, yes but it is HUGE, close to the same length and width as a Range Rover so bigger than almost all cars and even bigger than some trucks and SUVs we get here.
Well, it is one of the smaller cars I've owned in a number of years, but then my main vehicle for the 18 years before I bought the Taycan was an Acura MDX :)

My favorite car of all time was one I had in high school, a 1964 Triumph Spitfire 4. Now that was a very small two-seat convertible and a blast to drive. However, although it could beat VW bugs I wouldn't call it fast. Of course, in that car, 60 mph on a twisty road felt like you were flying.

I've driven my son's 2019 Corvette Z06, equipped with the track package, and that was a lot of fun as well although I lack the skills to really push that car anywhere close to its limits.

The electrification of automobiles is changing a lot of definitions, including, in my opinion, the definition of Sports, or sporty cars, if you will.

The bottom line is driving my Taycan is the most fun I've had in a car since that 1964 Triumph. Well, I did drive my friend's Dad's 1964 Porsche 911 but I was so afraid of hitting something I was relieved when the drive was over. The year was 1968, my senior year in high school, and yes, I am that old 🧓

Here is a picture of that car and my dog Heidi. I kind of wish I had never sold that car. But then I might not have bought my Taycan.

Porsche Taycan Taycan is a Sports Car 014909cf44fba4d1108c2fb93c8c920961b435f784

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Well, it is one of the smaller cars I've owned in a number of years, but then my main vehicle for the 18 years before I bought the Taycan was an Acura MDX :)

My favorite car of all time was one I had in high school, a 1964 Triumph Spitfire 4. Now that was a very small two-seat convertible and a blast to drive. However, although it could beat VW bugs I wouldn't call it fast. Of course, in that car, 60 mph on a twisty road felt like you were flying.

I've driven my son's 2019 Corvette Z06, equipped with the track package, and that was a lot of fun as well although I lack the skills to really push that car anywhere close to its limits.

The electrification of automobiles is changing a lot of definitions, including, in my opinion, the definition of Sports, or sporty cars, if you will.

The bottom line is driving my Taycan is the most fun I've had in a car since that 1964 Triumph. Well, I did drive my friend's Dad's 1964 Porsche 911 but I was so afraid of hitting something I was relieved when the drive was over. The year was 1968, my senior year in high school, and yes, I am that old 🧓

Here is a picture of that car and my dog Heidi. I kind of wish I had never sold that car. But then I might not have bought my Taycan.

014909cf44fba4d1108c2fb93c8c920961b435f784.jpg
We seem to be about the same age, but in our different countries things have changed a lot, though the huge difference in the roads and journeys have not.

When I did a summer student exchange in 1970 American cars were vast and very inefficient and fuel scarcely credibly (for us in England) cheap. None were imported into the UK as they were so unsuited to our roads and car parks.
Japanese cars hadn't arrived here yet but cars were, with few exceptions, very small.

As time has gone on fuel efficiency and crash safety have become more important resulting in American cars getting smaller and more aerodynamic and European cars getting bigger with more crash protection.

So I suppose wht you have experienced as normal and what I have are close to polar opposites!

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Sporty car at the very least. I don't expect that the Taycan is heavily used in sport car competition and doesn't truly qualify as sports car. End of the day, if you enjoy car and it provides you enough thrills, that's more than enough :)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Below, in my email today.

The Taycan may or may not be a sports car….but the Cayenne is the quintessential sports car.

Porsche Taycan Taycan is a Sports Car 680A2311-CF2D-4436-8DE8-52C024631307
Sponsored