W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is there a defining line between under and over specified build, and budget for the entry-level Taycan?
I would say yes and it holds true for any car.

At a base price of £70.6K you don’t want to spend 25% - 30% more on extras which don’t actually add value to the car (intrinsic yes but extrinsic no).

Come resale, canny Porsche buyers / dealers will know the original base price of the car and the fact that it has been loaded with extras doesn’t mean a great return necessarily. Some options will always provide a return - battery, 21” wheels, 20” wheels, leather interior, air suspension, pano roof, Bose (Burrmeister will be hammered compared to depreciation on Bose), matrix lights but others just won’t. I’m not saying you’ll get all your money back but the 2nd hand value will be increased compared to one without.

A 4S will always be worth more than a loaded 2S / RWD / Base for example as some of the extras are standard and there is more cachet with a 4S (holds true across the Porsche range).

Look at base Macan, Cayenne and Panamera prices compared to the S / 4S equivalents - not an exact science but it should highlight a trend.

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice - whatever works best for you and if resale is not a consideration then you have little to worry about. My niggle here is the 4S is a peach and the RWD is ‘meh’.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TaycanLDN

TaycanLDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD Volcano Grey Mission E
Country flag

At a base price of £70.6K you don’t want to spend 25% - 30% more on extras which don’t actually add value to the car (intrinsic yes but extrinsic no).

Come resale, canny Porsche buyers / dealers will know the original base price of the car and the fact that it has been loaded with extras doesn’t mean a great return necessarily. Some options will always provide a return - battery, 21” wheels, 20” wheels, leather interior, air suspension, pano roof, Bose (Burrmeister will be hammered compared to depreciation on Bose), matrix lights but others just won’t. I’m not saying you’ll get all your money back but the 2nd hand value will be increased compared to one without.

A 4S will always be worth more than a loaded 2S / RWD / Base for example as some of the extras are standard and there is more cachet with a 4S (holds true across the Porsche range).

Look at base Macan, Cayenne and Panamera prices compared to the S / 4S equivalents - not an exact science but it should highlight a trend.

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice - whatever works best for you and if resale is not a consideration then you have little to worry about. My niggle here is the 4S is a peach and the RWD is ‘meh’.
Are you able to shed any light on the Vehicle Tracker situation in the Taycan?

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Also visited Hatfield they have a lot of cars on the forecourt. Have you looked at the charging options?

I think its difficult with RWD to find the balance between over and under spec it. Especially with the bare minimum that Porsche include as standard - the fact electric folding mirrors is not standard really irritates me for a luxury car brand.

Have Mayfair indicated that they would be open to negotiation or did they say the same demand/supply line as the others?
I haven't looked at the charging options yet. Do you have anything in mind?

I'm with you, I was hoping Porsche would have standard spec, but I suppose the Porsche driving experience is the core of the standard spec.

I haven't discussed if they are open for negotiation yet.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag

Very insightful post ?

Porsche have opened themselves to a buyer like me, someone who wants to go electric, doesn't want a Tesla, but does want the prestige, build quality, enjoyment and driving performance of a Porsche. If I go with PCP to finance the deal, then I want resale value on the investment after 36 months.

I have budget for the RWD + options (£81k), or a 4S without any options (starts at £83k).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Are you able to shed any light on the Vehicle Tracker situation in the Taycan?
Porsche VTS Plus - comes with separate fob and uses Vodafone as the provider and monitoring centre.

I have it (helps reduce insurance costs) but is a bit fiddly and not a terribly user friendly thing to use. I’m sure Porsche could have engineered something more elegant.

Mine went offline for several days but I had no knowledge of it and there is no way of knowing.

A necessary evil at best.

OP
OP
TaycanLDN

TaycanLDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche VTS Plus - comes with separate fob and uses Vodafone as the provider and monitoring centre.

I have it (helps reduce insurance costs) but is a bit fiddly and not a terribly user friendly thing to use. I’m sure Porsche could have engineered something more elegant.

Mine went offline for several days but I had no knowledge of it and there is no way of knowing.

A necessary evil at best.
Ah okay - and this comes standard with the car? Can't see it as an add on option

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ah okay - and this comes standard with the car? Can't see it as an add on option
It is std on UK cars - PVT plus - and is a subscription service. The car will be supplied with 2 fobs and the tech but to use it (including Porsche App integration) it requires the activation service.

Car Security Package
The Car Security Package with the Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (PVTS) protects your Porsche through independent theft detection - and informs you personally after triggering a silent alarm. Please activate the special modes of this service in order to avoid false alarms and to temporarily use the service with restrictions (e.g. when your vehicle is in the workshop or is being transported).

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System Plus (PVTS Plus). Subscription required, please speak to your centre for more information on services and pricing

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
The forced brake upgrade makes the Mission-E wheels a crazy option on a RWD. The 20in Aeros are very nice, or alternatively stick with the 19s and get the 21s through a 3rd party supplier. Put the money into the big battery.

Like other people have said, probably better to stretch to a lightly optioned 4S than filling up a RWD with options. But it's your money so work out what's going to put the biggest smile on your face :)

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
the fact electric folding mirrors is not standard really irritates me for a luxury car brand.
The fact is, $79,900 (USD) is an excellent base price for an all-electric Porsche. If electric folding mirrors were standard, the cost would just be baked into the base price; putting it over $80,000. Nothing is free.

OP
OP
TaycanLDN

TaycanLDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fact is, $79,900 (USD) is an excellent base price for an all-electric Porsche. If electric folding mirrors were standard, the cost would just be baked into the base price; putting it over $80,000. Nothing is free.
I agree if it was just a base model thing to bring the price below $80K but it is also not included on the 4S (not sure if it’s the same in the US).

Porsche Taycan Taycan RWD Spec Help 02FE77E5-15A5-4747-BFD2-892A59ECC5FD

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree if it was just a base model thing to bring the price below $80K but it is also not included on the 4S (not sure if it’s the same in the US).

02FE77E5-15A5-4747-BFD2-892A59ECC5FD.jpeg
My point is that making electric folding mirrors standard on any model will increase its base price. IMO it's better that Porsche makes these optional versus making it standard and increasing the base price for everyone—even for people that don't want it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not so long ago heated and dimming mirrors were extras on a Porsche at the base level now its standard. Give it a few years and they’ll throw in the electric fold (and hide it in the price).

A rear wiper on a 911 is an extra for heaven’s sake!

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Ha- yeah there was another thread where we discussed Porsche's approach to options. Differing opinions for sure. Personally, I think they should just include these little nickel and dime features as standard (or atleast bundle them in with the premium pkg). I think that anyone who can afford an 80k+ car is going to want and expect stuff like electric folding mirrors. And its not like there's much of a case to be made for "weight savings" by not having them on a 5k pound EV. Similarly, no one is going to not buy the car cause the base price is $200 more. But Porsche has definitely improved over the years- atleast they now include keyless entry and start as standard. And the whole infotainment system is now standard- in the past they used to break out stuff like the navigation system, carplay, wireless phone charging and voice control as separate options which was kind of silly (imo). But you'll get some passionate opinions on the other side that Porsche's crazy approach to options makes complete sense :)

OP
OP
TaycanLDN

TaycanLDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi everyone - does anyone have any experience with the black/crayon extended leather.

Currently spec'd with with all black, but would like the crayon for contrast - just worried about denim and other staining as well as colour fading?

Any input would be great - thank you!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have it (and previously on a Panamera). I think it looks great and lifts the interior of the car.

Easy kept clean - just wipe with warm water and light detergent (periodically) once a week and it will look like new.

No fading.

Consider getting crayon seat belts to match.
Sponsored