Tesla admits FSD is a pipe dream

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I was interested in buying a Tesla for FSD, I would never pony up the extra $10k. I'd just wait for an actual release and then trade up to the new car with the actual working bits. Crazy to do anything else.
You may have missed the news that when the "real" FSD comes out, the price will be closer to $100k for that feature. So 10k is a no-brainer 10x return ;)

The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval. It that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.
Musk, 2020.
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I don't understand the appeal of an autonomous car unless it's for a taxi business. If my car is fully autonomous then I would want the cheapest car available that's quiet, safe, has comfortable seats, and a good stereo. That's it. Nothing else matters. It's just an appliance.

The current driver assist packages are really nice on long highway trips with minimal traffic, so you can relax a bit, or in heavy stop and go traffic when you are moving at <20mph and the car essentially takes over. Everything else in between feels like you are paying attention to a computer game waiting to step in when the car is about to crash. It's more stressful than just driving myself.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't understand the appeal of an autonomous car unless it's for a taxi business. If my car is fully autonomous then I would want the cheapest car available that's quiet, safe, has comfortable seats, and a good stereo. That's it. Nothing else matters. It's just an appliance.
Well, you aren't missing out on much driving a Model S yourself, so letting it drive isn't much of a stretch.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
They're not years ahead of everyone else, they are at best 3rd place behind Waymo and Cruise. They're painting themselves in a corner by avoiding LIDAR.

A better technical article is at Ars
Interesting!

My conclusion: There is just too much ego at work to proof a technical point, rather than work on a really good all round car for the customer.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am just baffled by how much Elon can say and do and noone really cares. Most specs like range and performance of Teslas are just false. Built quality is to this day one of the worst out of all carmakers. Promising new models and features for years while accepting payments years before they go into production. Teslas driving full speed into parked vehicles. This is no Tesla rant. I was myself buying a Tesla until the dealer himself parked his Taycan next to it (but thats a different story). I just feel like that Tesla is walking around with their safety bubble that lets them do and tell anything to their customers and nobody bats an eye about it. Maybe its just me I dont know..

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I had never driven a car with any kind of "driver assistant system" until I got my Taycan with innodrive and active lane keep.

I had low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised how well or helpful it was on a motorway. I hate to admit it, but if you're being a little bit of a distracted driver – say adjusting cabin temperature or adding a waypoint to a route – it feels genuinely helpful to allow you to perform that task a little safer.

Its a Porsche – I don't want too much assistance – but I'm real happy with active lane keeping – so far!
if you like the innodrive system you'd love what tesla calls FSD, formerly known as AP or EAP.
the innodrive system works ok, and takes a lot of the stress away when on the highway doing long drives but it is far less functional than tesla's system.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
if you like the innodrive system you'd love what tesla calls FSD, formerly known as AP or EAP.
the innodrive system works ok, and takes a lot of the stress away when on the highway doing long drives but it is far less functional than tesla's system.
This may be true. But my main issue is the technical hype and misinformation. All car companies use marketing. Telling someone this is the ‘best handling xyz in its class,’ even if it is not usually doesn’t potentially risk lives. But marketing driving assistance technologies that are AT BEST as good as other companies, but calling it “auto pilot” and “self driving” is not the same. That is reckless and dangerous lying and hype. This is what I personally have an issue with. If Tesla was marketing it as the “best driving assist” package then fine.

From everything I have seen Chevy Super Cruise, for the stretches mapped by Lidar and allowed, is superior to Teslas “self driving.” I have never seen Chevy call it self driving. Tesla even when confronted refuses to dispel the notion and keep pushing the same idea with releasing “betas” of things like summon. Think about this for a second: A BETA. I mean I release beta software to select internal users and maybe a few customers. If it fails they restart something. How do you beta safety features while promoting people to essentially entrust their lives with it?

As LIDAR component cost is coming down and will be an integral part of driver assist I am waiting for the explanation of when and why Tesla suddenly embraces it after years of mocking others and saying cameras are enough. The interesting part will be what the current Tesla owners, who have been told their cars have all the hardware necessary for FSD say. I have a feeling a signifcant portion will simply waive this away, just like misaligned panels, bad paint jobs, missing bolts and insulation, etc etc.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I've been reading the PDF of emails (299 pages) and the one thing I've learnt is how hard and how many emails happen trying to schedule a call or a meeting.

This is mostly a solved problem within a company (shared cal's, etc) but its obvious that it remains a major issue (opportunity?) to fix the problem more generally.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I found the “human” element interesting - these are people like you and I just trying to wrestle progress and move things forward but dealing with different perspectives…we sometimes forget we‘re all in this together - and at the end of the day it’s ”Bob” you’re dealing with at the DMV and perhaps “Judy” at Tesla - and they both are simply trying to understand one another and make sure everything lines up…

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
On top of that, the competition is not sleeping:

The “Xuanyuan” features a fully self-developed automotive-grade computing platform with a computing power of 245 TOPS and an energy efficiency ratio of 1.53 TOPS/W. The platform is compatible with diversified autonomous driving chips offered by such companies as NVIDIA, Horizon Robotics and Ambarella.

I hope I get quite a bit more with my next purchase, after all my Taycan came with ACC only, which is exactly the same as my Audi A7 2011 model had. InnoDrive is not offered here.

Reactions: Reg
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like the Plaid+ might be a pipe dream as well.

Tesla Model S Plaid+ Pushed Back To ‘Mid-2022’ After $10,000 Price Hike

https://insideevs.com/news/493924/tesla-model-s-plaid-plus-postponed/
it’s comforting to see Tesla never learn and never change :facepalm: - even some of the attributes I think hold them back…

Elon needs to stop pre-announcing things that are not ready to go to manufacturing - personally I’d be livid if I had put down $250,000 for the V2 roadster (also pushed back) - and Plaid seems to be vaporware like FSD…

quit overpromising and under-delivering - the product has a LOT of strengths - focus on the facts and what you can do - and it still move the entire industry…sheesh

Last edited:

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
it’s comforting to see Tesla never learn and never change - even some of the attributes I think hold them back…

Elon needs to stop pre-announcing things that are not ready to go to manufacturing - personally I’d be livid if I had put down $250,000 for the V2 roadster (also pushed back) - and Plaid seems to be vaporware like FSD…

quit overpromising and under-delivering - the product has a LOT of strengths - focus on the facts and what you can do - and it still move the entire industry…sheesh
I had paid in full for Roadster Founders Reserve only to be told after pushing for an ETA for many months that the other Tesla models vehicles had taken priority & maybe might be in 2022. Was supposed to be 2020 & than 2021! Asked for money back which duly got back in 5 days.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll be exiting the Tesla eco-system in April - I might be back - but it’s exhausting keeping up with Elon and sorting truth from fiction - sufficient to say Tesla is better than it’s critics want to admit and way worse than it’s fans believe - as with many things the truth is in the middle of the two extremes - but they do continue to push the industry and set benchmarks that only years later production options become available from others…

while for personal transportation I’m moving on to non-Tesla EV opportunities, I’ll continue to post on this forum even when the grid in california is down for fire prevention because of my Tesla powerwall system - my wife loves it almost as much as I do even as we walk away from our 4 year old Model X P100D…

but oh my Elon stop posting ficitional products!!! Your existing ones are pretty good if you just step back and be realistic.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
but oh my Elon stop posting ficitional products!!! Your existing ones are pretty good if you just step back and be realistic.
Great post. I am honestly pro Tesla conceptually (heck I own a Roadster). But between the fanboy-ism, Musks hype and vaporware, and cars that don't live up to that hype (including pushing batteries and motors, etc) its more negative to me than positive. Hate to say it but its one of the two reasons I have moved away from Tesla as a whole (other being the cars are too numb in driving for my taste).
Sponsored