JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok, there are Tesla Fan Boys and Taycan Fan Boys. When someone gets one of these, maybe someone can setup a side by side real life comparison including straight line acceleration, range, driving experience, fit and finish etc.

In the end, it's the buyer who wins as things just keep getting better and better.
Sponsored

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Ok, there are Tesla Fan Boys and Taycan Fan Boys. When someone gets one of these, maybe someone can setup a side by side real life comparison including straight line acceleration, range, driving experience, fit and finish etc.

In the end, it's the buyer who wins as things just keep getting better and better.
The only good post in this thread.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The only good post in this thread.
Thanks, I'll take some slight offense at this offhand remark after taking time to try to explain my thoughts. I mean a basic dismissal of opinion by throwing around the work "fanboy" is definitely a much more worthwhile exploration of the topic.

:clap:

Vik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100DL
Country flag
Plaid+ depends on the 4680 cells which are not ready yet. Model S Plaid is coming in March and uses current battery tech.

I own a Model X P100DL currently and I am considering getting a Taycan 4S to move to a sportier car. I assume the Model S Plaid will not handle as well as the Taycan, but the straight line performance and practicality of the Model S is a big plus. My concern is the Model S body is essentially the same from 2012 and they will likely put 4680 cells in this car as soon as they are ready.

I want to add one other observation. Ignoring the "one shot" acceleration spec, when I configure the Plaid, there is NO WAY that in my mind this car is worth $156k.
Tesla says both the Plaid and Plaid+ will do back to back 1/4 mile runs.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I think it's great. More good EVs, the better. While it's not a match for what I like about the Taycan, it seems like a very nice car. I will be interested to see how the new battery technology works out for them.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Very good point about the buyer winning as competition heats up. You can always count on Canada to keep the peace! Lol

Reactions: Vik
OP
OP
rbt3

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I am very happy we have many more choices of great and not so great cars in the EV space. I have owned many different Porsche and Tesla cars, and can say without a doubt they are both very enjoyable. It is perfectly acceptable to like both cars and also acceptable to like one more or less than the other, but anything that drives the technology and mass adoption of less fossil fuel based cars is favorable to me. I wish Porsche had the charging infrastructure that Tesla has built so far in the US. I also look forward to more EV choices from VW, Audi, Ford, GM, Porsche, Rivian, etc. That will be a win for all of us.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I am very happy we have many more choices of great and not so great cars in the EV space. I have owned many different Porsche and Tesla cars, and can say without a doubt they are both very enjoyable. It is perfectly acceptable to like both cars and also acceptable to like one more or less than the other, but anything that drives the technology and mass adoption of less fossil fuel based cars is favorable to me. I wish Porsche had the charging infrastructure that Tesla has built so far in the US. I also look forward to more EV choices from VW, Audi, Ford, GM, Porsche, Rivian, etc. That will be a win for all of us.
Need more people with these kind of views. I laugh every time someone calls a Tesla ugly, or when someone says the Taycan isn't worth the money.

The model S, despite its designs age, is still a good looking car, and the new interior is great (bar the steering wheel and its turn signals....). I love my Taycan, but by god is it less-than-stellar at a lot of things. I do wish they would update the exterior. 2015, 2021 -- you wouldn't know the difference until you were up close. Bit boring.

Still glad i cancelled the S for this car, but my next will most likely be an S or a 3 in a few years. I don't know. There are so many cars to choose from now.

The one main thing about Teslas, for me, is that there are so. Many. On the road. At least here in Norway. Makes it feel a bit less special.

Last edited:

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
In my view, the updated S is more in response to the Lucid Air than the Taycan. Tesla is trying to regain bragging rights for the over 500 mile range. The 1.99 sec 0-60 time also seems aimed at the Lucid Air. But, in reality, these extremely rapid 0-60 times have started to lose meaning in the real world. I have a M3P and find myself reluctant to do a full launch since the front of the car seems to come up on launch and the steering feels a bit unstable. There are few places in the real world where these true full out launches can be utilized, they are more for bragging rights.

It will be interesting to see how the true real world range for the new S compares to the Lucid. Motor Trend did a ride along real word drive a couple of months ago and it was close to the claimed 500 miles for the Lucid Air. We have all seen numerous tests where the Model S Raven does not meet the 400 miles claimed at highway speeds, more like 300, while the Taycan exceeds the EPA estimates and achieves about 275 miles. So, not much real-world highway difference, where range matters the most, between the Raven and the Taycan.

The new S is following the Tesla design philosophy started in the M3, and appears to have eliminated many of the physical controls that were previously found in the S. That is one of my major complaints with my M3P, nearly everything is controlled via the center touch screen, and I find it challenging and unsafe to execute some actions, such as changing music source of scrolling through music options. While there are a lot of great things about the M3 and the Tesla ecosystem, there are also things that are not so great. But, it is great to have more and more EV choices. I just ordered a 4S; the M3P may be passed down to my son as he leaves for college. After a year in the M3P I think it will be a great car for him, and I think think the 4S will be a great car for me. Different needs and desires.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I love Tesla - they were the first, they have incredible technology, and we certainly wouldn't have the Taycan if it weren't for them. The styling is classic but getting a bit old, as is the chassis and mechanicals. But it looks like they have the superior battery capability - 1100 HP!!??

On the other hand, I have no desire to have my desktop computer and rolling office accelerating to 60 in under 2 seconds.

I cannot believe that steering wheel.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I want to add one other observation. Ignoring the "one shot" acceleration spec, when I configure the Plaid, there is NO WAY that in my mind this car is worth $156k.
After my MS90D soap box experience, I would find this price offensive! I rather buy an EQS.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
No word on any of the Nurburgring bits: carbon brakes, wider body and tires, suspension upgrades, spoiler.

It appears this will only go fast in a straight line.
Sponsored