DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
My car was in the garage and got in and the error popped up. Got out, locked the car and walked away for 5 minutes and then the error cleared and I drove away. I have already had the recall update and am concerned this is the beginning of a recurring nightmare. I don't want the car to shut down in the middle of the highway.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Buck
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
My car was in the garage and got in and the error popped up. Got out, locked the car and walked away for 5 minutes and then the error cleared and I drove away. I have already had the recall update and am concerned this is the beginning of a recurring nightmare. I don't want the car to shut down in the middle of the highway.

Buck
When did you get the recall update? I thought there might have been an update for the update at some point.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I haven’t had the fault since the update, and only had the fault once before it, but I have noticed a few times on the freeway that it seems to lose speed and won’t accelerate even as I mash the pedal…and then it explodes in speed to whip my head back in an attempt to trigger amnesia to make me forget that the car seemed to die while driving…but I remember! I love the car but this is one of the few issues I have with it, and let’s face it, it isn’t a little issue.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Buck
Take your car to the dealer and demand an explanation why the recall update did not fix the issue. If they do not provide a satisfactory answer, file a case on the NHTSA website and explain you’ve already had the AMB5 update that supposedly fixed issue. As you said, this is a very serious problem that could have very dangerous consequences if the car stalls at the wrong time. And, please keep the forum in the loop on what the dealer says.

amazing

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 540i, '20 Merc Sprinter 4x4, 21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven’t had the fault since the update, and only had the fault once before it, but I have noticed a few times on the freeway that it seems to lose speed and won’t accelerate even as I mash the pedal…and then it explodes in speed to whip my head back in an attempt to trigger amnesia to make me forget that the car seemed to die while driving…but I remember! I love the car but this is one of the few issues I have with it, and let’s face it, it isn’t a little issue.
This happened to me once last week. I was driving on the interstate in range mode and seemed like no acceleration when applying pedal. Thought I might have been getting electrical failure, but all other electronics in the car were working fine, and no error on dashboard. I switched away from range mode into normal, sport and that seemed too give power back to acceleration pedal. I wasn't being limited by max speed in range mode. It's a very unsettling feeling to be on the interstate in traffic when this happens.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Range mode makes me a little nervous. I had this happen to me recently when driving in France:
  • I was in range mode and was being limited by max speed of 150 km/h - much faster than the speed limit of 130 km/h – which was the speed I was going.
  • As I was road-tripping in a country/area I'm not normally in I had an active route navigation on the PCM.
  • I was getting a lot of map updates as I drove along these new regions.
  • Each time I got a map update the car would reset the max speed down to 60 km/h causing the car to brake and not give any power when pressing the accelerator.
  • Moving out of range to normal restored function.
In summary, I am not comfortable with range mode + map updates. Normal mode is fine when a map update happens.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Range mode makes me a little nervous. I had this happen to me recently when driving in France:
  • I was in range mode and was being limited by max speed of 150 km/h - much faster than the speed limit of 130 km/h – which was the speed I was going.
  • As I was road-tripping in a country/area I'm not normally in I had an active route navigation on the PCM.
  • I was getting a lot of map updates as I drove along these new regions.
  • Each time I got a map update the car would reset the max speed down to 60 km/h causing the car to brake and not give any power when pressing the accelerator.
  • Moving out of range to normal restored function.
In summary, I am not comfortable with range mode + map updates. Normal mode is fine when a map update happens.
There is a setting in the range mode configuration (IIRC) to disallow range mode to change the max speed. That's what you want for this particular problem, but outside of range mode limiting the max speed, other electrical / drive system issues limiting acceleration is a big problem.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The loss of acceleration power while driving in Range mode is not related to the Electrical system fault. Range mode has a max speed setting, once you exceed the max speed, then it disables the accelerator pedal. You can bypass it by flooring the pedal and then after a second or so you get full acceleration. What you describe is not a bug, it is a (very unsafe in my opinion) feature.

I had set the max speed to 90 mph, but after the software update it was reset to 60 (or 65) so I also experienced what you described. After increasing the max or switching out of Range mode, you won't experience it again.

OP
OP
DNADoc

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
I had my update on August 10th.....When did the "update to the update" happen

Buck

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
There is a setting in the range mode configuration (IIRC) to disallow range mode to change the max speed. That's what you want for this particular problem, but outside of range mode limiting the max speed, other electrical / drive system issues limiting acceleration is a big problem.
This is overridden dynamically if you have Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) which is standard spec in my country. PIRM adjusts maximum speed when in range mode dynamically based on route and current consumption to try and extend your range. I believe there is a bug at the point when you have an active route + PIRM active + range mode active and you get a map update.

The map update causes the route to "replan" and while this is occurring the maximum allowed speed is incorrectly set to a very low value.

The impact of this is notification saying "map update successfully installed" and then suddenly auto braking and no acceleration possible.

All can be avoided if you don't use PIRM – which I really like – or don't use range mode – which I don't anymore.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/range-18560.html

Highlighted section:

Porsche Taycan The Dreaded Electrical Fault Error, pull over and park Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 09.47.07

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This is overridden dynamically if you have Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) which is standard spec in my country. PIRM adjusts maximum speed when in range mode dynamically based on route and current consumption to try and extend your range. I believe there is a bug at the point when you have an active route + PIRM active + range mode active and you get a map update.

The map update causes the route to "replan" and while this is occurring the maximum allowed speed is incorrectly set to a very low value.

The impact of this is notification saying "map update successfully installed" and then suddenly auto braking and no acceleration possible.

All can be avoided if you don't use PIRM – which I really like – or don't use range mode – which I don't anymore.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/range-18560.html

Highlighted section:
the problem is that here in the US the pirm doesn't show the EA units anymore and will route you to slower chargers

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
the problem is that here in the US the pirm doesn't show the EA units anymore and will route you to slower chargers
That's one problem with PRIM, but I do think before I stopped using it there was a setting to prevent it from changing the maximum speed. It's been a while though.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

Apologies if previously suggested but is there a way to just turn off 'Map Updates' to avoid this 'interruption' when using PIRM - and do the updates separately at times you are not relying on PIRM?

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
The loss of acceleration power while driving in Range mode is not related to the Electrical system fault. Range mode has a max speed setting, once you exceed the max speed, then it disables the accelerator pedal. You can bypass it by flooring the pedal and then after a second or so you get full acceleration. What you describe is not a bug, it is a (very unsafe in my opinion) feature.

I had set the max speed to 90 mph, but after the software update it was reset to 60 (or 65) so I also experienced what you described. After increasing the max or switching out of Range mode, you won't experience it again.
It was not a range mode issue. I’m aware of that limitation when in range mode, and also aware that if you slam the pedal down you can override that. I was going 60 mph and the car suddenly stopped responding to the accelerator and began decelerating. It’s happened more than once and it is not when I was exceeding the range mode threshold. It’s a bit disturbing, but it’s rare so I forget about it by the time I talk to my SA again.
Sponsored