TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E350, Taycan CT4 Mamba green
Country flag
Any of you experienced winter driving ? When driving in a snowfall, or "snowy" conditions, I am curious about all the sensors in the front bumper for distance keeping, line keeping, innodrive, night vision etc..

Any issues ? I am not concerned at all with the AWD and road handling.

Hopefully, Canadians, Scandinavians, or members living in the Alps or like higher altitude topography could share their experience which is part of our lives up here for 4-5 months in the year.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Any of you experienced winter driving ? When driving in a snowfall, or "snowy" conditions, I am curious about all the sensors in the front bumper for distance keeping, line keeping, innodrive, night vision etc..

Any issues ? I am not concerned at all with the AWD and road handling.

Hopefully, Canadians, Scandinavians, or members living in the Alps or like higher altitude topography could share their experience which is part of our lives up here for 4-5 months in the year.

Thanks
If the road markings are visible the ACC, lane keep etc should work just fine. Unless the drifts are really deep and road signs are covered then traffic sign recognition might be challenged.

Sensors - typically fine but useful to check each morning that they aren't covered in snow / moisture as that will impair them also.

Raising the car is also great for getting out of ruts etc.

Night vision - don't have so can only guess that it would work too (winter testing and all of that) as long as the sensors / camera is kept clear of ice and snow.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
TCT

TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the road markings are visible the ACC, lane keep etc should work just fine. Unless the drifts are really deep and road signs are covered then traffic sign recognition might be challenged.

Sensors - typically fine but useful to check each morning that they aren't covered in snow / moisture as that will impair them also.

Raising the car is also great for getting out of ruts etc.

Night vision - don't have so can only guess that it would work too (winter testing and all of that) as long as the sensors / camera is kept clear of ice and snow.
thanks

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Well if you are in a snow storm you will get the error message that the front sensors are no longer working and Innodrive/ACC shuts off and you can not turn it back on.

That has happened to me in the 20/21 winter, but am also a believer that is not the time to be relying on systems and be on autopilot but time for an active driver.

PS: Do not have night vision so can not comment.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Agreed.
Same experiences with other cars (volvo, renault) during winter conditions.
have to clean sensors for ACC, radar, etc... otherwise, leave the car (ie AWD) to work (and think) for you :angel:

Speaking about night vision.
AFAIK, it's a termo-vision, so it should work in winter even better. Of course, snowing might be a problem as for radar...but generally, I believe it should work.
Will let you know when winter comes (if I'll get before spring :fingerscrossed:)

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just be aware that despite anything some Fanboy or owner of some large car company says, these systems DO NOT substitute for an alert driver. They can assist only.

Just me objecting to being a guinea pig for the other guy driving down the highway who thinks this stuff really works.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
TCT

TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just be aware that despite anything some Fanboy or owner of some large car company says, these systems DO NOT substitute for an alert driver. They can assist only.

Just me objecting to being a guinea pig for the other guy driving down the highway who thinks this stuff really works.
Thanks

I understand. I have a MB 350 and in snowy conditions, the parking distance sensors keep screaming as if I am too close to anything all the time, so I turn it off. So similar situation here I suppose. I fully agree that especially in winter these support tools should not relied upon as usual.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agree on previous posts - same experieces here. But in regards to the driving the Taycan is outstanding on winter tyres!

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Think i got the acc warning twice the last winter (Trondheim Norway, whole season).

A bit of sound from the front motor if its not sufficiently heated when its -22 celsius. (Goes away fast, heating the battery/car also warms the motors, just not as early).
Except from that, nothing to mention. Works like a charm. Very good on winter roads. I came from a 2012 A7. Got more errors/sensor stuff on that.
Sponsored