Winter Season with Heavy Snow Stick with Taycan or Get a Used Macan for Winter?

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Agreed. I will say that it is so much more enjoyable misbehaving in the snow in an "inappropriate" sports car than in an appropriate SUV. You can't imagine the looks on faces when the streets were empty except for me throwing up snow rooster tails and Scandinavian flicks around all of the corners!
This just reminds me of the reactions I get from people when I tell them I plan to daily it year round, and they generally say either "Hell yeah, that's the way to do it!" or "Oh god, why would you take something that nice out in the winter?!" I truly can't wait to take this out to a nice parking lot with a few inches of fresh snow and have a blast.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have had no issues whatsoever with my 4S through two successive NJ winters (which are admittedly less severe than WI winters). Great traction and very predictable behavior on slippery roads.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I had a blast last winter with studded snow tires on. Outperformed every Jeep and Rover I passed by on the daily. It was very rare that the road would not be at least plowed low enough to get over with 'standard' ride height. I think I had to raise it only once all winter.

Here is my review of the tires I used if it is helpful to you?
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...installed-initial-review-us.8568/#post-126155

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I drove my 2021 Taycan 4s all winter last year with no problem. That was with stock all seasons. I was totally surprised.

If I were to do it again I'd get a pair of cheaper rims and put on a good set of Nokkian (non studded) Winter tires, and I would be in heaven.

Actually that's probably what I'll do. My Taycan was awesome in winter.

Here's some proof:

Porsche Taycan Winter Season with Heavy Snow Stick with Taycan or Get a Used Macan for Winter? @01

Porsche Taycan Winter Season with Heavy Snow Stick with Taycan or Get a Used Macan for Winter? @02

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X, Hyundai Santa Fe
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. Now I'm wondering if maybe I am looking for a reason to get a Macan?:pThe Taycan is so bleeping gorgeous and my paint finish is still perfect. I just dread what a Wisconsin winter will do to it. I know it would be great with plowed, icy roads. In reality, we are talking about probably a total of 5 or 6 days all winter where I would have to drive in unplowed or poorly plowed roads where it would definitely be better to have an SUV that rides higher. I would literally be cringing as chunks of ice strike the bottom of the Taycan where the Macan would almost certainly ride above them. I drive to rural hospitals no matter what the weather so even in a blizzard, I gotta go. That's the justification for the Macan. Plus, sparing the Taycan all the wear and tear of the salt and icy harsh Wisconsin weather.

On the other hand, I would need to figure out how to keep the battery in the Taycan in good condition during 6 months of no use, and the same goes for the Macan engine during the summer months of minimal use. These are some first world problems I know!

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I drive to rural hospitals no matter what the weather so even in a blizzard, I gotta go. That's the justification for the Macan
If it's the case that your job depends on you being able to travel no matter the weather, I'd probably revise my answer that you should have something other than a Taycan for when the going gets rough. The long term answer might be the Macan EV when that comes out, and to drive that year round, but the Taycan will definitely have a small handful of days per year where I wouldn't be confident in it on unplowed roads.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Have you considered options less than full ownership of a second car? Like a long term rental e.g. FlexCar or Porsche Drive? Or even a retained chauffeur service with SUVs in fleet? (Only half kidding - still cheaper than an entire second car).

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X, Hyundai Santa Fe
Country flag
I had never heard of Porsche drive before and just looked into it. Very cool option actually. Unfortunately, it's only available in a handful of areas, none near me.

hsmooth

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm taking delivery in September of a RWD. Anyone have any experience driving the RWD with or without snow/winter tires in the Midwest or NE winters?

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I considered an RWD, and it watched video or two of RWD Teslas in Montreal, they did fine on snow tires. RWD 911’s do fine on snow tires. The only time I’d say no is during the middle of a blizzard. Stay home no matter what you’re driving during the blizzard.

Last edited:

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
If it's the case that your job depends on you being able to travel no matter the weather, I'd probably revise my answer that you should have something other than a Taycan for when the going gets rough. The long term answer might be the Macan EV when that comes out, and to drive that year round, but the Taycan will definitely have a small handful of days per year where I wouldn't be confident in it on unplowed roads.
I drove my Taycan for two years through all kinds of brutal mountain conditions, often going through up to eight inches of unplowed snow. I never came close to getting stuck although I did regularly pass all kinds of SUVs in ditches on the sides of the road. (I would be willing to be those SUVs didn't have good snow tires on.) It takes a lot of unplowed snow to stop the Taycan.
Sponsored