Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It's not ALL software, like an iPhone. It absolutely needs hardware to run on, but would not be worth anywhere near as much without any software to enable the hardware. Even if it came with some free OS preloaded, I guarantee you it would not sell as many units at as high of a price.
It’s like you’re arguing with me that software is also important. I know that. That’s my job. I’m up early this morning programming. And I don’t think I’ve ever said it’s not. I’ve just said it’s not only the software.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It’s like you’re arguing with me that software is also important. I know that. That’s my job. I’m up early this morning programming. And I don’t think I’ve ever said it’s not. I’ve just said it’s not only the software.
Sounds like we're on the same page. Taycan is like an iPhone - premium hardware running a ton of software to unlock the hardware capabilities.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Looking at Porsche marketing materials, when they highlight the differences between different trims, they emphasize 3 parameters: range, horsepower with Launch Control, and 0-60mph time with Launch Control. So 2 out of 3 top specs emphasized by marketing have to do with drag racing (Launch Control doesn't do much for other driving dynamics), and the 3rd one is range. What Porsche marketing materials don't talk about launch control power or 0-60mph times?
That will be marketing targeted at US customers nobody else cared that much until it started being mentioned in marketing material. A bit the same with range.

I have ben involved in motor racing since my teens and have never had a drag race nor done a standing start as fast as I can, ever.

I have been at a drag race which was impressive.

US roads and European roads are very different requiring completely different sets of compromises. The US is a big market so will be pandered to by all car makers. Most US car makers don’t bother with export markets much, if at all since the home market is so vast. Cars suited to the US market generally don’t sell here. There isn’t a single US car I am aware of which would suit me.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That will be marketing targeted at US customers nobody else cared that much until it started being mentioned in marketing material. A bit the same with range.

I have ben involved in motor racing since my teens and have never had a drag race nor done a standing start as fast as I can, ever.

[...]

US roads and European roads are very different requiring completely different sets of compromises.
I completely agree that different cars are best for different driving environments, and for different drivers too. I live in the USA now but also don't care about launch mode, or even floor my car from a standstill (I do floor it at higher speeds though).

Out of curiosity, what marketing does Porsche use in Europe to justify the price difference between Taycan Turbo and Turbo S? In the USA the more powerful launch mode is the only mentioned exclusive feature of the Turbo S, since you can equip everything else on a Turbo and still drive away for less.

Cars suited to the US market generally don’t sell here. There isn’t a single US car I am aware of which would suit me.
I thought Tesla (an American car company) sold very well in Europe. According to a quick internet search, Model 3 is the top selling EV in Europe, outselling even the next two most popular EV (ID.3 & Zoe) combined. (data below from here):
Porsche Taycan Would you buy your Taycan again? 1645915459468

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I completely agree that different cars are best for different driving environments, and for different drivers too. I live in the USA now but also don't care about launch mode, or even floor my car from a standstill (I do floor it at higher speeds though).

Out of curiosity, what marketing does Porsche use in Europe to justify the price difference between Taycan Turbo and Turbo S? In the USA the more powerful launch mode is the only mentioned exclusive feature of the Turbo S, since you can equip everything else on a Turbo and still drive away for less.

I thought Tesla (an American car company) sold very well in Europe. According to a quick internet search, Model 3 is the top selling EV in Europe, outselling even the next two most popular EV (ID.3 & Zoe) combined. (data below from here):
1645915459468.png
Tesla are indeed the exception and it has been a relatively recent development The S and X have had limited success but the 3 has suited European roads fine and has pretty well been the only readily available electric car for a long time.
Most US makers haven’t imported cars into the UK as their size, vehicle dynamics and fuel consumption are unsuited to conditions here.
I can get a Ford Mustang and the new EV version but outside Tesla that is it.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Christ this thread has degenerated into teenage boy tedium.

Tldr is Tesla does software better, Porsche does mechanics better.

Mind-blowing. Who would have guessed?

In time, both will get better at each of these things, where what they excel at is where their R&D budget is spent most efficiently and has a legacy.

I don't own a Taycan yet, but chose it for nothing more than driving experience, badge prestige and as f1eng rightly points out, lack of choice.

Tesla sells very well in Europe because of the supercharger network as a key buying decision. It enables EV ownership for those unable to charge at home.

Non Tesla charging points, at least in the UK, provide a miserable and time consuming experience, which is why non Tesla cars sell in lower numbers unless you have home/work charging points.

I'm quite certain for most consumers, better software is low down the priority list when deciding on an EV even where that is a USP of Tesla. Range and charging network would be top considerations.

I don't want a response to this. Let's instead allow those to share their experience owning a Taycan and answer the question of the thread. It's what owners and soon to be owners want to read about.

It is likely that by the time most come to replace their Taycan, the choice in the EV market would have increased even in the Porsche stable, and that alone is reason why you wouldn't buy a Taycan again - more choice.

Choice (lack of it) is a key factor behind the Taycan selling so well, no different than if the only ICE sports car was a Maserati Ghibli.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You pretty much got all American EV selection then ;) Not that many other US maker EV's in the USA available either. Chevy Bolt has been on sale-hold for a while due to battery fires. Lucid and Rivian and GMC Hummer are technically out but in ultra low volumes (e.g. only 1 Hummer delivered between October when it was announced as "starting customer deliveries" and end of that year). There are a few other American EV's coming, but not out yet.

Last edited:

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I can’t believe I went through 6 pages of Tesla vs. Taycan crap which took this nice thread of focus and ruined it. Can’t you help yourself or find something else to do? People are entitled to their own opinion stop debating. I wanna hear feedback.

Enassar1

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The PCM is trash because apple music app takes a while to load?

My wife uses pandora sourced from her phone almost exclusively and I either use podcasts or music library sourced from my phone or NPR if using the car radio. Guess I don’t have your issues. PCM has been fine for me.

Get rid of the car and quit torturing yourself with slow-loading built-in music apps…I guess.

Well, it's not just apple music that takes long to load. My PCM starts up in the morning like a an old Pentium computer. Loads for around 3 minutes. No music during that time. No apple car play or any other app works while it's loading. Yeah, that's an issue when most drives are around 5 minutes and half that time is silence. This isn't my weekend drive. It's my daily drive, so yes, that is an issue that it takes so long to load. This doesn't happen in my wife's 2022 Panamera.

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have zero issues with Apple car play. Works every time in get in car. Every car has glitches…especially these EV cars. There’s no doubt Porsche will let issues go in without fixes. Be patient. These cars are leaps and bounds better quality and better looks than anything else out there. Tesla looks like a Honda Accord!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Takes one to know one, I guess.
Why? I never posted on the T forum, and certainly would never dream about posting something like "Taycan is much better then my shitty MS90D" on a T forum. Why do fanboys feel compelled to do this in here?

Nobody has both source codes and can compare the software, so why peddling this nonsense?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sorry, I was over on TeslaMotorsClub talking about panel gaps. What’d I miss?
Nothing, this car is so perfect, so boring. I head back to the T forum, that's where all the tragic fun is unfolding! :CWL:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Tesla are indeed the exception and it has been a relatively recent development The S and X have had limited success but the 3 has suited European roads fine and has pretty well been the only readily available electric car for a long time.
Most US makers haven’t imported cars into the UK as their size, vehicle dynamics and fuel consumption are unsuited to conditions here.
The sales numbers don't say anything. The problem is availability.

If you ordered a BMW i4 in Germany in January 2022, you might not get it in 2023!

VW slowed down cheaper versions like ID.3 to use short components to produce more expensive models. Every dealer is only allowed to sell a few ID.3 based on a quota system.

T on the other side is dumping M3 from their Shanghai factory onto European market.

There are so many constraints in terms of supply, logistics and even politics!
Sponsored