Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll see your 2013 Model S ownership and raise you one year. I owned #43 Model S P85 off the line in 2012. Tesla's infotainment system and support for vehicle OTA updates was in 2012 ahead of where Porsche is today 8 years later. Tesla for the win on technology.

Tesla may also have a win on vehicle (electric or otherwise) manufacturing that ultimately means they can more cost effectively build the car they've designed. I've also driven the latest P100D Ludicrous mode Model S and despite its many improvements since 2012, it is still no match for the Taycan in terms of the intangible driving feel and enjoyment. Tesla paint quality/thickness always sucked and the spartan interior of the Model S while functional was never appealing. Porsche for the win with a better design.

So far, I've had no more issues in my first year of ownership with the first year produced Taycan than I had in my first year of Tesla ownership with the first year produced Model S. It's stayed on the road just fine. And like we have unfortunate owners on this forum hit with this motor / drive electronics issues, I knew of an equal number of Model S drivers hit with bad motor bearing issues, battery fuse assembly issues, improperly installed windshield issues (resulting in a crack) and plenty of other early model issues that kept their cars off the road. Call it a draw in first year quality and reliability.

If you enjoy driving, it's really a shame to be scared away by the relatively few issues experienced by Taycan drivers overall. You are missing out on the best driver's car on the road right now. If you want a rolling technology test bed, whose "autopilot" system may well kill you or someone else, you know where to go.

Togi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello, I opened a topic but I did not get a response. My Taycan 4s vehicle, which I received 7 days ago, gave an electrical system error when it was at 600 km. Can anyone who has experienced this and found a solution help?
Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. 1625328396764

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
As someone who knows both cars extremely well (and actually owns/driven them) I will simply say: no, no it doesn’t. Whatever else you may think of Tesla, like it, own it, etc, it simply is false that it beats the Taycan in ANY metric except for range and you know, making fart noises.
I'm gonna disagree. I'm a long-time Porsche driver (Taycan makes my 7th since 1998.) I love them and have a ton of brand loyalty.

I got my wife a Model 3 LR and we've both been very happy with it. I feel like after a month with the Taycan I can objectively compare the two. I don't have a "team" to cheerlead here as I like both manufacturers and want them both to succeed.

Charging experience: Tesla. The plug is just easier to fit, and the automatic charge door is nice. Porsche's system of timers/profiles is needlessly complex. Tesla you simply set a level and optional charge time window.

Home Charging speed: Tesla. Our HPWC runs at 48 amps for ~45mi/hr range. Porsche's runs at 40 for ~24mi/hr of range.

Fast DC Charging speed: Porsche wins here with the 270kW Electrify America chargers. Tesla v3 superchargers may even this up in time though.

Charging network: Tesla. I've had good experiences with the EA stations and plug-and-charge, but Tesla just has a lot more of them and a large lead here.

Apps/Software: Tesla. Their app is much better (why is Porsche spread across so many different apps?)

Navigation: Tesla. It's a car, used to go to places, so nav is front and center around everything you do. Porsche has their typical clunky experience.

Performance: Tesla. The Model 3 LR outperforms my RWD.

Range: Tesla.

Handling/Driving Pleasure: Porsche, and it's not close. I think the Model 3 is quite fun to drive but hate the S which feels completely dead. The Taycan feels like a Porsche should.

Interior fit/finish: Porsche, and it's not close here either.

Just my 0.02.

EDIT: Added fast DC charging.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'm gonna disagree. I'm a long-time Porsche driver (Taycan makes my 7th since 1998.) I love them and have a ton of brand loyalty.

I got my wife a Model 3 LR and we've both been very happy with it. I feel like after a month with the Taycan I can objectively compare the two. I don't have a "team" to cheerlead here as I like both manufacturers and want them both to succeed.

Charging experience: Tesla. The plug is just easier to fit, and the automatic charge door is nice. Porsche's system of timers/profiles is needlessly complex. Tesla you simply set a level and optional charge time window.

Home Charging speed: Tesla. Our HPWC runs at 48 amps for ~45mi/hr range. Porsche's runs at 40 for ~24mi/hr of range.

Charging network: Tesla. I've had good experiences with the EA stations and plug-and-charge, but Tesla just has a lot more of them and a large lead here.

Apps/Software: Tesla. Their app is much better (why is Porsche spread across so many different apps?)

Navigation: Tesla. It's a car, used to go to places, so nav is front and center around everything you do. Porsche has their typical clunky experience.

Performance: Tesla. The Model 3 LR outperforms my RWD.

Range: Tesla.

Handling/Driving Pleasure: Porsche, and it's not close. I think the Model 3 is quite fun to drive but hate the S which feels completely dead. The Taycan feels like a Porsche should.

Interior fit/finish: Porsche, and it's not close here either.

Just my 0.02.
Having just come from the 2018 Model S, this is honestly quite accurate. Tesla is quite good at the software and the EV technology side of things because they've had years to develop it. Porsche is way better at the driving side of things because they've had decades to develop it.

I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to experience both.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is real world range that different between the M3P and the Taycan RWD?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is real world range that different between the M3P and the Taycan RWD?
It's close but I do give Tesla a slight edge here. My RWD is showing 230 miles at 85% while the wife's Model 3 LR (after 3 years and 65k miles) shows around 270 at the same charge level.

This is a bit debatable though; Porsche's range estimator seems to be more consistent and accurate than the Tesla's.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
The VERGE just posted an an article about this problem here. https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/2/22559051/porsche-taycan-ev-recall-12-volt-audi-etron-gt

It doesn't mention that is only applies to cars with the WMA5 update, but it does say it applies to some (not all) cars. It also says that it is being applied to new cars comming off the line and presumably those cars have the WMA5 update.

Can anyone tell me that we have confirmed that this only happens to those cars that have had the WMA5 update?

Thanks

Chuck J

Last edited:

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can anyone tell me that we have confirmed that this only happens to those cars that have had the WMA5 update?
And more importantly, those that did not yet have AMB5. If this happened post AMB5 then that's going to be a problem.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone WITH the shutdown problem seen their VIN show up in Porsche's recall tool yet?

If it's all cars built before June I suspect mine is in the window, but I haven't seen it show up there or safercar.gov yet.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
And more importantly, those that did not yet have AMB5. If this happened post AMB5 then that's going to be a problem.
I think AMB5 is the fix for the problem. I was wondering if the WMA5 might have caused the issue.

Chuck J

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think AMB5 is the fix for the problem. I was wondering if the WMA5 might have caused the issue.
Agreed.

But to ChrisK's point, there could be multiple failure modes that aren't yet fully understood. AMB5 has already been implemented in some cars recently serviced, so if the event still occurs after AMB5, then that clearly means the rabbit hole is deeper than they realize.

Fingers crossed.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed.

But to ChrisK's point, there could be multiple failure modes that aren't yet fully understood. AMB5 has already been implemented in some cars recently serviced, so if the event still occurs after AMB5, then that clearly means the rabbit hole is deeper than they realize.

Fingers crossed.
Plus, Keith I have had mine almost 11 months now without any issues and I constantly display 12v battery voltage. I have not had any of the three compaigns out there. I'm wondering if keeping an eye to ensure the battery is at the propper voltage is fufficient to not be surprised by a uncommanded stop issue.

Chuck J

Reactions: KTC

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If the 12V battery (system) voltage were to drop below 13.0V while driving the car, that would indicate a big problem. Not because things need > 12V, but because it would imply there is a problem with the DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery and powers 12V electronics from the HV battery. All digital things running off 12V will have their own DC-DC converter down to 5V or 3.3V or 2.5V or 1.5V or 1.0V or whatever, and that DC-DC converter will have an input range probably from 8V - 16V and be happy anywhere in that range. It's not likely the 12V system voltage is causing the problem, but not impossible (could be some analog sensor powered by 12V).

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm wondering if you keep an eye on the 12 voltage if you will get an early indication of the problem which will enable you to pull over and restart car.

Chuck J
Sponsored