str8tner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'97 Boxster, BMW 3 , Lexus RX 350
Country flag
After receiving an email to schedule the software update, I went online and made an appointment. The site asked for a 4 hour block of time so luckily, I asked for a loaner. Why luckily? When I showed up today for the appointment, the service advisor told me "it may take a few days". Why? First, the car needs to be "fully charged" and my car was at 45%. The second issue is dealer specific, but they are short Taycan technicians.
So, just a heads up to speak with your service advisors when you schedule your 2021 software update.
Sponsored

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Received an email some two weeks ago. to update my Taycan 4S/2021. Having been offered an Macan w/o asking (nice). Made an appointment for today, and instead of a Macan it was a Taycan Turbo :)-)) I got.
Was told it would be ready afternoon.
At afternoon, I got a call, saying that my car would not start up and they need it another more day, but I could keep the loaner.
Smooth as silk.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
After receiving an email to schedule the software update, I went online and made an appointment. The site asked for a 4 hour block of time so luckily, I asked for a loaner. Why luckily? When I showed up today for the appointment, the service advisor told me "it may take a few days". Why? First, the car needs to be "fully charged" and my car was at 45%. The second issue is dealer specific, but they are short Taycan technicians.
So, just a heads up to speak with your service advisors when you schedule your 2021 software update.
I am well into day 2 of my upgrade experience. I haven't heard of the fully charged issue. I did report a rattle and the car was driven 9 miles today and I suppose that was to diagnose the rattle. currently they have the car offline so I am assuming that the update is in progress. maybe after doing nothing with the car yesterday I will get my car back tonight or tomorrow morning. I am a little disappointed with the level of communication from them. I had to press them yesterday for info and was disappointed that it appeared to me that they did nothing with the car until today.
FWIW: they gave me a Taycan 4s as a loaner.

JCW_DFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Took mine in yesterday morning. Supposed to get it back in the afternoon yesterday. This morning, I asked for status and was told the tester is “fighting the vehicle a bit” and they were starting over. Just inquired again and they say they are still working on it. So much for a four hour update process. Very uneasy, sinking feeling that I just authorized a software update to my very expensive computer on wheels that turns out to be a big ticket rewrite of the operating system, and that has not been through much real world testing. Did they just blow up my system? Who knows ... if I had this to do over, I’d be much slower to respond to the notice and let someone else be the test case. Should have known better, when service guy logged it as a “recall” yesterday.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Took mine in yesterday morning. Supposed to get it back in the afternoon yesterday. This morning, I asked for status and was told the tester is “fighting the vehicle a bit” and they were starting over. Just inquired again and they say they are still working on it. So much for a four hour update process. Very uneasy, sinking feeling that I just authorized a software update to my very expensive computer on wheels that turns out to be a big ticket rewrite of the operating system, and that has not been through much real world testing. Did they just blow up my system? Who knows ... if I had this to do over, I’d be much slower to respond to the notice and let someone else be the test case. Should have known better, when service guy logged it as a “recall” yesterday.
yes, I am beginning to have that same sinking feeling, especially since there seems to be radio silence from the service department. it is 4 PM on day 2 of the 4 hour upgrade and next to zero communication from the service people. am I wrong about the lack of of excellent service? at this point I long for the tesla customer service experience.

I know that tesla monitors the few tesla forums out there, I wonder if Porsche does the same.

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't call it smooth as silk if your car wouldn't start after the update, but it's good you have a loaner.
I understand what you want to say. It's kind of true, but -
(for me) It's less about problems, but rather how those are being communicated and handled. Clearly, I better have had the car back today, but comparing this inconvenience to other reports from this forum, I still can consider myself being on the lucky side.
It's an emerging technology (from a Porsche point of view), and adapters like us ar needed, and, in my case, appreciated. And the car is worth this first world sacrifice.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
yes, I am beginning to have that same sinking feeling, especially since there seems to be radio silence from the service department. it is 4 PM on day 2 of the 4 hour upgrade and next to zero communication from the service people. am I wrong about the lack of of excellent service? at this point I long for the tesla customer service experience.

I know that tesla monitors the few tesla forums out there, I wonder if Porsche does the same.
UPDATE<
I was just informed that the "difficult" update is complete. I will be picking up the car tomorrow in the AM, they were unable to duplicate the rattle, which is possible but I will take the tech for a spin and see if I can duplicate it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
MY21 - I was originally advised 4hrs by the dealer but that ultimately ended up taking the full day and pickup 15 mins before they closed (I was expecting an overnighter!).

The upgrade process is largely unattended (so opportunity to lose time between checks / sequences). Porsche pays for 1.25hrs of labour for what is essentially a full day elapsed time. The technicians can be off doing other things to keep the revenue stream going.

I suspect the job can be done quicker but by how much not sure.

Full charge not required, PMCC not required, key fob(s) not required. I imagine the car is kept on charge throughout the operation.

End result - nothing remarkably different - My Screen retains its config is about the highlight for me. Most of the enhancements are ‘hidden’ and for the greater good I’m sure. MY20 owners will get some tangible enhancements for sure.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got mine back. So after 1.5 days, a nice loaner and car washed outside, cleaned inside. What could I want more.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Got mine back. So after 1.5 days, a nice loaner and car washed outside, cleaned inside. What could I want more.
after my 2 day update session I picked up my car this morning and other than a few settings that were altered I don't really see much difference, I will try charging at an EA unit soon to see if they were able to fix the plug and charge bug.
they were able to perform the XM radio work around so that works but I did have one wonky think happen on the way home, it happened twice. I had the nav screen display on the center screen set to sat view, for some reason is went to map view, I made a stop, turned the car off and when I resumed my drive it reverted to sat view without any intervention, then it happened again and I also was listening to XM which went off and reset to station 1.
I hope this isn't a new software glitch.

AVLinGA

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2018 Panamara Hybrid
Country flag
I got exactly the same response from my service advisor.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It takes at minimum a day, maybe a day and a half
Sponsored