Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine went in 9.00am last Thursday for the 4hr update and it was still with them midday Friday, at which point I was told the update had “fried” the PCM and it needed a replacement unit, which was on back order from Germany. Apparently it was the third such issue with a Taycan.
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I relayed the "fried PCM issue" to my service advisor he laughed. I guess it can happen, but not sure how ?? It's simply software that they are downloading via a laptop into the various computers in the car. Watch, mine will get fried tomorrow- LOL.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Got mine updated conveniently when I had my car towed in for dead 12V. Dealership took 2 days. Car wasn't charged, or cleaned. But not unexpected from my local dealer. Only went to them because of dead 12V.

One thing I noticed after the update is my timer profile set for 85% by 7AM has consistently charged to 85%. Before the update it would be 87 or 88% so the update must have addressed software issues around charging.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got mine updated conveniently when I had my car towed in for dead 12V. Dealership took 2 days. Car wasn't charged, or cleaned. But not unexpected from my local dealer. Only went to them because of dead 12V.

One thing I noticed after the update is my timer profile set for 85% by 7AM has consistently charged to 85%. Before the update it would be 87 or 88% so the update must have addressed software issues around charging.
Shame on them for not washing and charging the car. That's never happened to me, ever.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Shame on them for not washing and charging the car. That's never happened to me, ever.
Yup. Porsche Bellevue. The ratings speak volumes. Car went in at 65% and left at 41%. Had to super charge real quick to make sure I got home (bad traffic). I always take my cars up to Porsche Bellingham for service. Longer drive but worth it.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I just dropped off the Taycan (MY21 TTS) for the upgrade.

-- Loaner: Got a MY20 Cayenne without asking (good job dealer)
-- Projected time: I was told it takes a total of 8 hrs of time (minimum) but there were a few Taycan's pending from last week, today they had a couple of Taycan's scheduled, BUT only 1 Technician to do the udpate. Service rep was still confident that they can turn it around in 2 days.
-- Charger: I was told there is a separate update for Charger as well so I was asked to get the charger too.

FWIW, since last 7 hrs, the charge is down by 1%, no miles driven and it is still online as I am typing this.
I have the loaner so not concerned if it takes a little longer.

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
Did anyone get charged for the MY21 software update? I just noticed on my appointment reminder that estimated charge of $308 for two sets of diagnostics! Given this and all the post update problems I’m hearing, I think I’ll wait and not spoil a perfectly functioned 4S right now for what appears to be very little improvement.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@John89
Looking forward to hearing how your car does
Havent heard of many if any 2020 models updated yet
Keep fingers crossed all goes well for you

When I relayed the "fried PCM issue" to my service advisor he laughed. I guess it can happen, but not sure how ?? It's simply software that they are downloading via a laptop into the various computers in the car. Watch, mine will get fried tomorrow- LOL.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@John89
Looking forward to hearing how your car does
Havent heard of many if any 2020 models updated yet
Keep fingers crossed all goes well for you
It's being picked up at 9:00 am and they are doing the update tomorrow. They already told me it may go into Wednesday. I will let you know how things are going.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Did anyone get charged for the MY21 software update? I just noticed on my appointment reminder that estimated charge of $308 for two sets of diagnostics! Given this and all the post update problems I’m hearing, I think I’ll wait and not spoil a perfectly functioned 4S right now for what appears to be very little improvement.
Do not pay for this upgrade... take it up with Porsche NA if they try to charge you... completely unacceptable.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
I just dropped off the Taycan (MY21 TTS) for the upgrade.

-- Loaner: Got a MY20 Cayenne without asking (good job dealer)
-- Projected time: I was told it takes a total of 8 hrs of time (minimum) but there were a few Taycan's pending from last week, today they had a couple of Taycan's scheduled, BUT only 1 Technician to do the udpate. Service rep was still confident that they can turn it around in 2 days.
-- Charger: I was told there is a separate update for Charger as well so I was asked to get the charger too.

FWIW, since last 7 hrs, the charge is down by 1%, no miles driven and it is still online as I am typing this.
I have the loaner so not concerned if it takes a little longer.
I have to say my dealer went above and beyond-

I was scheduled to have a delivery in Porsche PEC LA last wednesday- got an email week prior that my car was stuck in the port (Benecia) and was not going to be able to be updated in time to make my PEC LA appointment (Porsche was not releasing any MY21 from port without the upgrade).. I already had airline tickets, hotel and plans to take my wife and daughter to look at SoCal colleges during this trip - so I could not change the date.

Porsche Livermore was awesome-

-trucked down a free loaner Panamera for my use (6 days) that I picked up at PEC LA
- got the PEC LA delivery fee waived (500.00)
- delivering my MY21 Taycan 4s to my house tomorrow

PEC LA was an awesome experience- really the 500.00 if I had to pay it is well well worth it- highly recommend it (assume PEC ATL is the same). BTW I asked PEC LA why they don't do the upgrade - apparently they have had an experience where a sw upgrade did not take in time (e.g. took longer than they expected) and the customer was left with a car that was undeliverable at their appointment- so they want to receive the car with the upgrade already done.. they also mentioned that the 4 hour MY21 upgrade takes on average 12-16 hours right now ... regardless really happy with the PEC LA experience and my dealer.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have to say my dealer went above and beyond-
Congratulations!
That is really nice to hear. Makes you feel special and part of the family with a caring dealer.

I wish that would be the standard for all Porsche dealers. That way Porsche would sell more cars and have a lot of ambassadors out there!

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just double check with your dealer - $308 may just be the fee that your dealer charges Porsche for doing the work, and they have accidentally sent it to you.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just double check with your dealer - $308 may just be the fee that your dealer charges Porsche for doing the work, and they have accidentally sent it to you.
It’s free for all and Porsche only pays the dealer for 1.5hr labour as the updates are largely unattended (that’s what mine told me).

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
My update took 1 day. I’ve not noticed a difference, but I didn’t have the car all that long before the update.
Sponsored