2nd gear

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
on the car that I test drove the taycan the shift to the second gear was very discernable, in my car I have never felt that same shift so the question is would it be possible that the car is not getting into the second gear?
is there any way via PCM that I could determine if the car is getting into the second gear?
Sponsored

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
on the car that I test drove the taycan the shift to the second gear was very discernable, in my car I have never felt that same shift so the question is would it be possible that the car is not getting into the second gear?
is there any way via PCM that I could determine if the car is getting into the second gear?
If you stay in Normal mode it is likely that you are just always in second gear.
Have you tried to shift to sport or sport plus and floor it? You will feel the change then.

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you stay in Normal mode it is likely that you are just always in second gear.
Have you tried to shift to sport or sport plus and floor it? You will feel the change then.
I have used both normal and sport settings, but not the sport plus. I believe that the test ride car was set to normal

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
In Normal it will be in second gear unless you hit the pedal aggressively to downshift. If you have the Sport Chrono mode dial on the steering wheel, start driving in Normal up to around 20 mph and then turn the dial to Sport or Sport Plus, you will feel the car shift to 1st.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i know this has not been mentioned before but i personally feel my car only gave me full power/shifts etc after it hit around 500 miles

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have used both normal and sport settings, but not the sport plus. I believe that the test ride car was set to normal
FYI there have been firmware updates that have changed the shifting behaviour, from what I have read and from my experience it has made the shift much smoother. That may explain why you have a "better" shift in yours. Your car is probably newer with all the current changes and updates. I remember pre updates some shifts were very smooth and some were definitely noticeable.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yep, stab the throttle in NORMAL and you should experience it - subtle but there nonetheless.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Most noticable is in Sport+ mode, if you go speeds 60+ to over 100;
Frankly, I think they just did it to kill Tesla's on the Autobahn. At speeds over 70mph it's 40+% faster…

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
When in Sport mode my Turbo S seems to be staying in 1st until 55mph or so, later than mentioned in the Jalopnik thread if I'm reading it right. It's also fairly noisy between 45-55. I started noticing this after the big update, although I may have missed it before. Anyone else experiencing this?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
When in Sport mode my Turbo S seems to be staying in 1st until 55mph or so, later than mentioned in the Jalopnik thread if I'm reading it right.
I agree. It looks like around 46mph in the article (for sport mode).

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Other than the RPM limit for the rear motor, there isn't a fixed point at which the transmission must shift from 1st to 2nd. I'm guessing the transmission is adapting the shift point vs. acceleration based on learned driving style. Porsche does this with other transmissions. The update may have reset the learned driving style info...

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was an earlier thread that provided a link to Jalopnik which contains all the information you will probably ever want to know about shifting and a bunch of other stuff.

With apologizes to the original poster, here. https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-at-the-porsche-taycans-engin-1837802533
Nice! Unlike Kort, I feel a shift in gear along with a change in the pitch of the growl of the sport sound which is cool, but I haven't had any updates done to the vehicle yet. The change in tone of the sport sound feels somewhat cheesy but I like it anyways.

Last edited:

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
Is anyone else getting a lot of noise between 45-55mph in Sport? It's the same whether regen is on or off, and no I don't have the sport sound enabled. ?

Some background -- I recently had a major failure that seemed mechanical in nature while switching from Sport to Normal. This led to my vehicle being towed to the dealer where they kept it for 1.5 weeks during which time they applied the control system updates. They could not provide a definitive cause of the failure although they were confident the updates would prevent a recurrence.

My primary concern is that there was some mechanical damage during the incident. Porsche has confirmed the noise but is saying that it's consistent with other Taycans. I am hopeful that's the case, but I'm looking for some independent verification from this group if possible.
Sponsored

Last edited: