Am i going to regret a RWD Taycan purchase?

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
I’m just about to take delivery of a Turbo ST which I’ve stuck £25k of extras on. Some, like RWS will affect the way the car drives but most are cosmetic and I’ll take a bath on them come resale. I did look at the Turbo S which, for a ‘base’ model is less than I’m spending, but I’d have ended up doing the same thing with extras and the cost was becoming ridiculous.

But this is how Porsche work and why they are so profitable.

My last car was an iPace and I loved it, but the Taycan Turbo is on a whole other level in terms of performance. However, lots of the extras that I specified on my ‘high-end’ Porsche were standard on the HSE iPace. My only regret with the iPace was that I didn’t have gas suspension, I had that on my previous ICE Jag (XJ) and the handling was so much better.

So, my reason for moving to the Taycan is the way it performs and handles. If I was in your shoes I’d seriously look at an iPace with gas suspension. Better performance than a RWD Taycan, probably better handling with the gas suspension and loaded with stuff that Porsche will charge you extra for. I think you’ll pay much less, loose less on resale (in absolute terms) and you’ll be driving a quicker, better car.

One other point to consider. My weekend car is an Aston Martin Vanquish in Fiama Red. It is absolutely stunning and I always love my days out in it. And, with the iPace, if I was ‘dressing to impress’ there was never any doubt which car I’d drive. But, stick a body kit on a Taycan and choose the right wheels and suddenly you have something that looks (nearly) as beautiful. (I’m British so maybe I’m biased). If you buy an iPace, (or a RWD Taycan) then you’ll be in the same position with your gt3, but buy a 4S and there’s a chance that come the weekend, the ease of driving it may just mean the gt3 stays in the garage a little more often.
Sponsored

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Extremely fucked up. One of the MAIN reasons I want to cancel is for the ADM. Been doing a lot of business with my dealer too.
Cancel it ONLY for the ADM, is outrageous. Not because is RWD
Happened to here is SFL with 3 dealers until I found one who didnt and placed my order.
In regards to the rwd or 4s…. I was in your shoes except the ADM. i went for the RWD. My build was 119. Same build on a 4s was 20k+.
I tested both deeply and honestly since I wont have any snow or mountains daily it was just the slighly faster acceleration… but then, how many times will you REALLY need that? Specially u already have a GT3.

its my first porsche and so far im loving it.
If extra 20k wont make a difference go for it, BUT for me it was realistically I felt enough power from the RWD to be happy. Do what will make you want to drive it everyday.

Good luck!

Porsche Taycan Am i going to regret a RWD Taycan purchase? B6ED4E12-618F-49B2-AD54-2408BFBEC7BE

Porsche Taycan Am i going to regret a RWD Taycan purchase? B5DE122D-13B0-400D-837B-AA4F0C80F509

Porsche Taycan Am i going to regret a RWD Taycan purchase? 46332BDC-8A99-4527-AFE2-CA4FDD76BC08

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Here is an opinion that may more closely mirror your situation. I also have a GT3 and a RWD.
I test drove the 4S and while the power is very very good, I just could not get passed the heavy front steering. Additionally, I am very used to using rear wheel power to rotate the GT3, the 4S was lacking in this regard. Since I live in a more urban environment, the power of a 4S was not something I viewed as necessary. The RWD drive has plenty of power once it is rolling above 20MPH. I have never launched any of the 4 Porsche I have owned.
I was an early adopter and am in my RWD 19 months now. I too overspec'd (30k in options) my RWD and have no regrets. I leased my RWD and am (after 19 months- I am fairly certain I will purchase at the end of the lease. I am totally satisfied with this model.

Perhaps you are having buyers remorse due to the price to value you are paying. If you think that given the long lead time, changing economics and ADM, no longer fits, then cancel or modify. In the "old" days you ordered a Porsche and received it in 3 months give or take a week or two. The world economy didn't have time to materially shift. The long lead times have altered this dynamic. You are well within normalcy to want to correct paying more than today's market conditions would yield.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
There are many lightly used RWD taycans available for < 100K (and potentially with some negotiating room.). I'd look for one of those.
I'd consider selling my 21 RWD.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Cancel it ONLY for the ADM, is outrageous. Not because is RWD
Happened to here is SFL with 3 dealers until I found one who didnt and placed my order.
In regards to the rwd or 4s…. I was in your shoes except the ADM. i went for the RWD. My build was 119. Same build on a 4s was 20k+.
I tested both deeply and honestly since I wont have any snow or mountains daily it was just the slighly faster acceleration… but then, how many times will you REALLY need that? Specially u already have a GT3.

its my first porsche and so far im loving it.
If extra 20k wont make a difference go for it, BUT for me it was realistically I felt enough power from the RWD to be happy. Do what will make you want to drive it everyday.

Good luck!

B6ED4E12-618F-49B2-AD54-2408BFBEC7BE.jpeg

B5DE122D-13B0-400D-837B-AA4F0C80F509.jpeg

46332BDC-8A99-4527-AFE2-CA4FDD76BC08.jpeg
Love this color and interior combo. Beautiful.

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4 RS; Panamera 4S; Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
I definitely think you need to stop and take a bit of time out to decide what you really want and where it will fit in with what you already have.

The thread has already changed from Taycan RWD v 4S, to Taycan v Cayenne.
Which is a completely different proposition.

Don't act in haste is my only advice.
Thank you for saying this! I always believe in picking a car (after looking at all of the options) and then solely focusing on finding the best deal/unit available. Makes the process a lot easier and less confusing. That being said, as much as I love our Taycan...the V8 in the Cayenne GTS is awesome.

For the OP: I think you know how I stand :) Incoming Taycan 4S at MSRP would be great, though I know the unit I posted on my thread lands in January (it might've also sold by now lol).

Last edited:

Streemline79

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Fellow GT3 + Taycan RWD owner, here. 4k miles in and I love my Taycan. I would gladly pay the extra $$ for a GTS or 4s, but have no regrets keeping the RWD. Its an awesome car, and underpowered only compared to its brethren. I wouldn’t think twice about picking it over a Cayenne GTS, unless the utility is needed.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
I'm very happy with my '21 RWD, coming from a 911 4S. However, I paid $85k OTD, with tax credit and sales tax offset. At $135k I'd 100% go for a 4S.

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I have a ‘22 RWD and couldn’t be happier. It’s heavily specced and it’s incredibly nimble…it feels like a significantly smaller car. I don’t even care about the off the line acceleration, it’s still faster than 90% of cars on the road.

People are acting like it accelerates like a Honda Civic lol. It’s not all about straight line driving and top end speed. If people want to just go fast, get a Plaid.

I test drove a 4s and yes, it accelerated faster from a standing start, but that’s not worth the 20k price difference that I used to buy another car. I have ZERO regrets with my RWD. You’re going to love it!

TonO

First Name
Ton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
The RWD is a great car! Since you already have a GT3 you won't need to scratch the speed itch with this one.

My experience driving the RWD is that you only notice the lack of speed off the line. During any passing or accelerating manuever you will have far more power at your disposal than you likely have road to use.

It's a great car and also has the longest range. Sorry about the ADM, I hate that crap.
I have the same optinion. The RWD is a fine choose

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have a CT 4. It is a 4 WD but I was also in doubt between a 4 and 4S. And it has the performance plus battery as standard

like mentioned before by others. It is more than fast enough in daily driving. Especially if your familie is the car. No regrets with the 4 CT. I have 30K in options and had set myself a budget. Could also have gone for a 4S with 10k in options but I think I like the options more than the 0-60 times.

not 100% sure but I have read somewhere that the PB + battery had better accelerations for overtaking. 0-60 both are the same.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
As an everyday tool I dont think you can beat a RWD.. Its still fast enough to get you in trouble with the Police, but not so fast that they take your licence away immediately. Thats the compromise I am happy i made, spending more on it than a bog standard TTS.
I still havent mastered full control of my left foot, 100% of the time, so need the help.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The RWD is a great car! Since you already have a GT3 you won't need to scratch the speed itch with this one.

My experience driving the RWD is that you only notice the lack of speed off the line. During any passing or accelerating manuever you will have far more power at your disposal than you likely have road to use.

It's a great car and also has the longest range. Sorry about the ADM, I hate that crap.
ECHO, ditto, concur totally!

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The London Porsche dealer where I first tried a Taycan had an RWD as demo, and for some reason he was very reluctant to take us somewhere where you could accelerate properly or for that matter do anything else than slow city driving;) Test drove a 4S the proper way a few weeks later and was immediately sold.

With all this said, I have to say that I am tempted to switch to a Turbo S!
Sponsored