TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
My Taycan was a July build and at delivery (late August) the dealer updated software per WLG6 Campaign.

From @rquinton previous post you can see there are now multiple campaigns for the Taycan issued in August.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/PORSCHE/TAYCAN%25204S/4%2520DR/AWD#manufacturerCommunications

WLG6 specifically mentions:

Communication between the vehicle and third-party high-voltage charging equipment (e.g. ABL Wallbox) has been optimized. This prevents discharge of the 12-volt vehicle electrical system battery following completion of the charging process.

Interesting in one of the campaigns Porsche is now requesting servicing dealers obtain accurate date/time of any faults reported by Taycan owners.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
For US folks...I called both the dealer I bought from (Ohio) and local dealer service (Minnesota) to see if I could find out if this is a blanket 12V battery replacement program.

Subzilla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 992, Tesla model X 100d, Taycan turbo on order
Country flag
Not sure sorry

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For US folks...I called both the dealer I bought from (Ohio) and local dealer service (Minnesota) to see if I could find out if this is a blanket 12V battery replacement program.
I don't think it is as I asked my dealer if my car was subject to it and they said no. My car is a Turbo and I took delivery back in May.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
I don't think it is as I asked my dealer if my car was subject to it and they said no. My car is a Turbo and I took delivery back in May.
Yup - maybe Porsche has deemed this a 4S-specific issue? Here is the Porsche service screenshot on the campaigns closed for my VIN (with none open) on the Turbo S at least.
Porsche Taycan Another 12V issue Resized_20200918_091013

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
My business partner text me a pic of his car this morning on the back of a low loader heading back to Porsche Chester.
seems there’s a problem with certain chargers and the car software. There’s an update being distributed by recall.
31FB87B4-8A53-4D0F-BDD8-83D816012523.jpeg
should be an update OTA rather than a dealer recall...at least for all other owners whose cars are still "alive"

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
So, in preparation for my car going into build in the next few weeks (let’s hope there isn’t another long UK lock down in Oct), I have been trying to understand more about this 12v issue affecting some owners. In the electronic handbook it does state the following (apologies if everyone has already seen this but it gives me a better level of reassurance):

The 12-volt lithium battery still discharges even when your vehicle is not in use.

• To maintain its function, charge the 12-volt lithium battery approximately every 6 weeks or connect it to a trickle charger suitable for lithium batteries with a CC/CV or pure CV characteristic. Porsche recommends Porsche Tequipment chargers and trickle chargers.

Mike_D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S; 2017 Macan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for posting- and sorry about that. When did you take delivery of your Taycan? I was just at Porsche Service last week and didn't get the same message (delivery in late July)
I took delivery June 29. My car was a "launch vehicle" so it was early production.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
anyone have recommendations on where to plug the 12 volt charger in on Taycan? if you want to trickle charge the battery - where would one attach the charging leads?

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
anyone have recommendations on where to plug the 12 volt charger in on Taycan? if you want to trickle charge the battery - where would one attach the charging leads?
In the manual it has instructions to connect to the battery positive terminal and grounding point. But I like the idea of doing it through the OBDII socket as described earlier in this thread.

It's not completely clear to me how much current you can get through the OBDII but the port has to be able to take 4A by the design spec.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Actually I was getting mixed up, it was another similar thread.

Instead of 50% for the high volt battery, I would charge it closer to 85%. There is very little phantom drain on the Taycan, but it will loose some charge during the 2 months.

Trickle charging is easy to do. I have had my Taycan on a trickle charger for several weeks at a time. It is important to choose one that works with the 12v lithium battery. I use an 800mA trickle charger from Battery Tender, together with a 12 foot extension cable and an OBD II adapter. The cable is thin enough to close the door without a problem. Please note that you cannot use the OBD II adapter with a high amp charger. The 800mA unit is well below the limit and will maintain the battery without a problem.

You can get all three items for less than $100.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batte...electable-Lead-Acid-Lithium-Battery-Charger_7

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-OBDII-Accessory-Cable

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-12-FT-Extenstion-Cable

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Charging the 12 V battery from owner's manual:
Observe the instructions of the charger
manufacturer.
- 12 V lithium batteries should only be charged in
a well ventilated area.
1. Open the hood.
> Please see chapter "Opening and locking the
hood and trunk lid" on page 150.
2. Remove the plastic cover.Please see
chapter "Installing and removing plastic the cover
in the front luggage compartment" on
page 152.
3. Fold open the cap on the positive terminal for
emergency starting +.
4. Connect the red positive cable of the charger to
the positive terminal for emergency starting +.
5. Connect the black negative cable of the charger
to the – ground point.
6. Switch on the charger.
7. After charging, switch off the charger before
disconnecting it.
8. Close the cap on the positive terminal for emergency
starting +

Never connect jumper cables directly to the 12 V
lithium battery or other electrical components.
Only connect jumper cables to the emergency
starting terminals.
Sponsored