W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When parked in my garage and attached to the EVSE with the SoC at 85% (end of charge session) is it possible to select a nearby (i.e. 20 miles) EA charger on the navigation screen in order to pre-condition the battery? Same question without being connected to the EVSE?
Yes but the preconditioning will only start if you start Nav and drive to the location. What we can't be precise about is how warm the battery will be when you get there. Note that preconditioning only works for Nav recognised EVSEs >= 50kW and won't work for EVSEs which aren't contracted through Porsche (that's how poorly thought out this option actually is). Perfect if every public EVSE was Ionity or Osprey or one or two others but in the main most aren't in the database (despite the statement "constantly updated").

You can't trick it into preconditioning without moving as far as I've deduced. Give it a shot.
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
......You can't trick it into preconditioning without moving as far as I've deduced. Give it a shot.
It turns out you CAN trick the car into preconditioning the battery. The following scenario worked.

1) Disconnected EVSE and backed out of my garage with an 85% SoC.
2) Found a nearby EA station about 20 miles away and "started" the navigation system.

I was sitting in the car with it powered on and the gear selector in Park. I just happened to receive a customer call and spent 20 minutes on the phone. At the end of the 20 minutes the battery temp went from 51F to 68F. I shut down the car and washed it. A half hour later I pulled the car back into the garage and noted that the battery temp crept up to 70F. The SoC dropped down to 84%

It's probably not practical to precondition the battery before departure. I am not sure what would happen if I had left the J1772 charging cable attached. But, I may try this to see if it's possible to maintain the 85% SoC. If this was something that could be activated from the MyPorsche app then it might be feasible.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
only works for Nav recognised EVSEs >= 50kW
The metric is a nav system indicated power of >=175kW. A pretty limited subset of stations. At lower power levels, preconditioning isn't really required.

I've been unable to find this power rating in print, but I've heard it many times from some very sharp reviewers. Here's a link to one such review:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The metric is a nav system indicated power of >=175kW. A pretty limited subset of stations. At lower power levels, preconditioning isn't really required.

I've been unable to find this power rating in print, but I've heard it many times from some very sharp reviewers. Here's a link to one such review:

PGTK App states >=50kW - always useful to precondition if you can to speed up charging especially in winter.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...Porsche technician said all these do have an effect but minor relative to the energy consumed in heating the battery up to temp.
Hope that helps!
Yes, first time with my Porsche in cold below 10°C raining weather. Required heating with AC without ECO mode to keep the windows clear, and the consumption exploded. :)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Yes, first time with my Porsche in cold below 10°C raining weather. Required heating with AC without ECO mode to keep the windows clear, and the consumption exploded. :)
Interesting... I'm in ECO all the time, even when temperatures were below zero, up to -7C.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting... I'm in ECO all the time, even when temperatures were below zero, up to -7C.
I am also in ECO all the time until temps get to about 68% fahrenheit. Then I go with A/C. range is of course affected by this negatively.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, and warming the car up remotely in winter, steering wheel heat and seat heaters also crush range.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Yep, and warming the car up remotely in winter, steering wheel heat and seat heaters also crush range.
IME it’s starting from cold and the air heating system (whether ECO or A/C) rather than heated steering wheel/seats that have the big impact on range. When the battery is warm and only heated steering/seat rather than air, I can still get good range, even in cold conditions.
Sponsored

Reactions: jja