buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Hey everyone, I'm considering a CT turbo or turbo S and am wondering what real world range everyone is seeing? If you could share your efficiency, wheel size, and average speed, that would be super helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
It's going to depend a lot on your driving habits, wheel size, weather, etc.

Not a lot of CT's on the road, but inside EV's has done a few 70mph tests where they take the car from 100% to 0% on a continuous loop, at that speed (vids can be found on Youtube). I believe they did this with a Turbo on 21's and a CT4 on 19" wheels.

In both cases the range was close to 250miles, with the CT4 squeezing a few more miles out.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Is the additional range achieved with 19" wheels compared to 21" wheels solely due to the slightly larger circumference of the 19" tires?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
CT4: Got up to 450km (280m) in the Summer Highway driving in the dry on 20” wheels. Now temps have dropped (significantly here in CH) reckon closer to 370km (230m) on the Winter tyres.

This is what the average consumption is showing after 10000km which would average out at 400km (250m) per full charge

Porsche Taycan CT real world range 38B7C930-70F8-47F5-A982-273F7D12AE71

KK84

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (on order)
Country flag
CT4 on 20" rims:
Highway (140-150+ kmh, summer tires, 10 Celsius) - ca. 300 km (28-29 kwh/100). 170-180 kmh - consumption way above 30 kwh/100 km
City: 22-23 kwh/100km (same conditions) - ca. 365 km

In the warmer months the range should be a little bit higher.

You can expect that turbo/turbo S consumption will be a little bit higher.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Range right down last few days doing mainly short local trips in winters conditions

Porsche Taycan CT real world range E5365025-5958-4170-925B-34CF33357313

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Is the additional range achieved with 19" wheels compared to 21" wheels solely due to the slightly larger circumference of the 19" tires?
No, it is the greater aerodynamic loss and rolling resistance. If you look at the range indicator on the Porsche web site calculator (which is what I did for the 4S CT here) the loss of range is from 350km to 334km in the 21" Cross Turismo wheels compared to the standard 19", at 20 degrees C.
FWIW going from AC to AC Eco+ makes a much bigger difference, even at 20C from 334 to 382.

The type of driving in the "calculator" is ⅓ city, ⅓ country roads and ⅓ motorway. Changing to ½ city and ½ country roads (more my journey profile) gives a further increase to 403km.

All this will depend on how smooth a driver you are too and ambient temperature.

What I took away from this is that 16km loss of the 21" CT wheels, which I like the look of, weren't much of a sacrifice and I'd be happy to set the AC in Eco+ to get the extra 48km if pushed for range.

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
A few years ago I was driving back home from a regular Business meeting (at Mercedes F1 Brackley actually so Frank will approve) in my Tesla P85D. Done the trip numerous times so knew how much charge overnight to easily do the round trip with 10% remaining in battery when I got home. The return journey was a nightmare of really bad torrential rain resulting in a lot of water pooling on the A34. The cars consumption was way more than normal as it was pushing thru the water puddles and for (the only time ever) I got the warning I would not make it home on the charge I had. As I flicked the AC system into Eco mode I remember saying to myself .... "life support rerouted to engines Captain ..."

MACookie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi All, I was sceptical on what the trip computer was saying so I did my own tests which worked like this. At start of a journey I recorded from the car: mileage on odometer, estimated range (miles), % charge of battery, battery temperature, outside air temperature. At the end of the journey I did the same.
From this data I calculated: the actual distance travelled from odometer, the reduction in the range and the kWh consumed covering the journey. To calculate the kWh consumed I calculated the drop in battery % and multiplied that by 83.7 kWh which is the maximum net usable battery capacity figure provided by Porsche (approx 10% less than the 93.4 kWh figure they state on all marketing info). Dividing the kWh consumed in the journey by the actual distance covered gives the kWh/mile "consumption" metric that Porsche use in their trip computer - but they rarely correlated, with the trip computer being more pessimistic than my calcs.
Then I calculated the maximum range the car would theoretically achieve if the journey continued in the same conditions with the the calculated consumption figure. I discounted all short journeys as they were very sensitive to rounding errors in the calcs.
OK, lots of calculations, which led to the following:
JourneyMileageTheoretical RangeBattery Temp Start
Commute to work362257
Commute back to home3521916
Home to Porsche Stockport6424611
Alderley Edge to Home7923920
Commute to work362009
Work to gym3322020
Home to work331834
Home to Porsche Sheffield581662

Or graphically
Porsche Taycan CT real world range 1645358642469

Conclusions: battery temperature has a huge impact on range. I showed the data to a Porsche lead technician during my Taycan masterclass session and he concurred this is what he would expect. He also that in summer I could expect range to go up to 290 miles simply due the battery being closer to optimal operating temperature. So, pre-heating, if you didn't already know is key to getting the range.
For info: 21 inch wheels, ECO mode on climate control, heated seats generally on (setting 1) for 1 person. Porsche technician said all these do have an effect but minor relative to the energy consumed in heating the battery up to temp.
Hope that helps!

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
....So, pre-heating, if you didn't already know is key to getting the range.....
How does one preheat the battery before driving? I thought the Precool/Heat feature was only for the cabin temperature.

MACookie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
How does one preheat the battery before driving? I thought the Precool/Heat feature was only for the cabin temperature.
No it heats the cab and the battery, hence why you can set it to run for an hour.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No it heats the cab and the battery, hence why you can set it to run for an hour.
To be clear the 'pre-heat' of the battery using the 'Preheat/Cool' function is simply a by-product of heating the cabin (uses battery energy and therefore creates heat in the battery). Note that in winter with a battery at 5C running pre-heat for 1hr will not preheat the battery by much - a few degrees at most and certainly nowhere near enough to increase range.

Actual usable battery heating is performed when using an EVSE >= 50kW DC as a destination or stopover location within Nav - this is called "pre-conditioning" and depending on distance to EVSE you can expected upwards of 32C (in winter).

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
To be clear the 'pre-heat' of the battery using the 'Preheat/Cool' function is simply a by-product of heating the cabin (uses battery energy and therefore creates heat in the battery). Note that in winter with a battery at 5C running pre-heat for 1hr will not preheat the battery by much - a few degrees at most and certainly nowhere near enough to increase range.

Actual usable battery heating is performed when using an EVSE >= 50kW DC as a destination or stopover location within Nav - this is called "pre-conditioning" and depending on distance to EVSE you can expected upwards of 32C (in winter).
If they aren't too proud, would be nice if they copied BMW who have a manual option for preheat (i.e. if near a 50kW and nowhere near a 150kw+ as 5C still no fun on those).

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
......Actual usable battery heating is performed when using an EVSE >= 50kW DC as a destination or stopover location within Nav - this is called "pre-conditioning" and depending on distance to EVSE you can expected upwards of 32C (in winter).
When parked in my garage and attached to the EVSE with the SoC at 85% (end of charge session) is it possible to select a nearby (i.e. 20 miles) EA charger on the navigation screen in order to pre-condition the battery? Same question without being connected to the EVSE?
Sponsored