Real world range

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm waiting for my Cross Turismo build slot, having ordered in October 22. I'm interested to hear what actual mileages owners are achieving, and whether there is much difference between the wheel sizes.
I drive 600 miles a week and a large chunk of this is a 250 mile each way drive along motorways and dual carriageway. I have a 7KW charger at either end, and am wondering what the chances of doing a non stop trip are? Slim, I guess!
From what I've read, at least the Taycan seems to give reasonably accurate mileages , compared with my previous Ipace which used to "lose" 15% of its range even with reasonably gentle use of my right foot.
I know Porsche have eked out more range recently, which will help, but wondered how close any owners were getting to my target of 250 mile range consistently? I am aware of the difference that weather conditions and use of heated seats etc. can make.

I have seen the mileage calculator on the Porsche GB website, where you can simulate the type of driving that you do, and it produces an estimate, but real world figures are always better. Some owners seem to mention getting 3 miles per KWh, which would persumably get close to 250 miles, if the usable battery is, say, 84 kwH. Does anyone obtain more than 3 miles per Kwh on motorway driving?
After plenty of UK experience - 250 miles? In the Summer, yes (as long as you're not flooring it regularly), but in the Winter, no chance.
Sponsored

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
What I find matters more is accurate range predictions before you set off on a journey. Stick your destination in the sat nav, and the range-o-meter will adjust itself based on your destination. So, if the journey is generally uphill, for example, the remaining range will reduce. The opposite will happen if it's generally downhill. The types of road will make a difference too. The Taycan has VERY accurate range predictions. I'm driving from Holland to the UK tonight, and I know that when I set off from home and put the first charging stop into the sat nav, if it predicts I'll arrive there with 20% battery remaining, then two hours later I can be sure I will arrive there with 20% SoC in the battery. Sometimes it's more, but rarely less. With the confidence this inspires, I have been known to arrive at an IONITY stop with 7km range remaining...

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
In the last 3 months i’ve averaged 23kWh / 100km on 4.000km’s in total, incl commute and a 1.500km race road trip to Zuffenhausen, I’m part of the <10km Ionity club too :p

OP
OP

Fozzwoody

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carrera 4s Convertible, BMW 520d
Country flag
Thanks everyone - most helpful. I guess the thing that seems most different, with Taycan ownership, from the I Pace that I owned previously is the effect that ambient temperature has. 250 looks achievable in the US states blessed with better weather for most of the year than we have here in the UK, whereas it looks like it may be possible for a few months here. Gives me a chance to try out the 350KW Gridserve chargers at Amesbury that I mentioned in an earlier reply! I shall look forward to trying the Range O Meter when the car actually arrives...

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What I find matters more is accurate range predictions before you set off on a journey. Stick your destination in the sat nav, and the range-o-meter will adjust itself based on your destination. So, if the journey is generally uphill, for example, the remaining range will reduce. The opposite will happen if it's generally downhill. The types of road will make a difference too. The Taycan has VERY accurate range predictions. I'm driving from Holland to the UK tonight, and I know that when I set off from home and put the first charging stop into the sat nav, if it predicts I'll arrive there with 20% battery remaining, then two hours later I can be sure I will arrive there with 20% SoC in the battery. Sometimes it's more, but rarely less. With the confidence this inspires, I have been known to arrive at an IONITY stop with 7km range remaining...
Mine has been wrong on every trip. Consistently under estimates range when I plug my route into the Nav.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
225 miles or so in the colder temps CA is experiencing right now, probably more like 250 in the summer

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
If you’re willing to drive 70mph or slightly under you can push 280-300 (in the summer without a strong headwind).

I’ve only driven in the middle America states that tend toward higher humidity and summer rain storms which means lower air pressure and lower air resistance - that may also be a factor in the range I’ve achieved on the CT4.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The furthest I have driven my 4S between charges is 242 miles. That was the last leg of a 700+ mile trip where the car was getting over 3 miles per kwh. It had about 7 % SOC when I arrived.

To me, maintaining a margin of safety with SOC/remaining range at any point is more important than extending the distance between charging stops. When you get to your destination, does the car have enough range to reach another charging location, or the dealer, should the need arise?

Recently my car had problems AC charging. It would only charge at a rate of less than 3 kw. The car would not charge at all with the PMC+ I had as a backup. There was not enough range left to make it to the nearest DC charger and back to see if DC charging would work. Also not enough range to make it to the dealer. I did not want to have the car transported to the dealer. Fortunately I was able to get it recharged at home after 24+ hours and take it to the dealer.

My lesson learned: reduce the distance between charging stops and keep the battery charged enough --even at home -- to get the car to the next charging site and/or dealer if the need arises.

Last edited:

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
My days of driving 4 hours without a stop are behind me...regardless of vehicle. I will fly longer than that, using strategic dehydration and an empty Gatorade bottle.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Can't you, like, you know, open the door.. and hold on tight?
A few feet of plastic tubing out the window to the tail, and you're not worried about holding on tight, and you're not splashing your plane. It would probably get some negative pressure to help you too.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
A few feet of plastic tubing out the window to the tail, and you're not worried about holding on tight, and you're not splashing your plane. It would probably get some negative pressure to help you too.
Brilliant. Could call it a “Peetot Tube”.

edit: better and slightly funnier spelling

Last edited:

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Some light aircraft have relief tubes. Ours doesn’t. It would just be another place for the cabin pressure to leak out.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Some light aircraft have relief tubes. Ours doesn’t. It would just be another place for the cabin pressure to leak out.
You could install a valve, pinch the tubing, or put a cork in it when not in use. ;)
Sponsored