magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I love the rear axle steering. In all situations except for backing up into my very tight garage. I need to come at it at an angle, and then “push” the car straight very late. However, with the rear axle steering, the car wants to follow a tight circle instead.

Is there any way to temporarily lock the rear wheel steering?
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
No, there''s no setting to disable rear wheel steer. You need to adjust what you are doing, the more you turn the wheel the more the rear wheel steer kicks in.

OP
OP
magnitude

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the main problem is that the pivot point is now more towards the middle of the car, instead of with the front wheels.

That's a bit problematic, if you have to angle into a garage and then straighten out.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I love the rear axle steering. In all situations except for backing up into my very tight garage. I need to come at it at an angle, and then “push” the car straight very late. However, with the rear axle steering, the car wants to follow a tight circle instead.

Is there any way to temporarily lock the rear wheel steering?
Nope.

Are you sure this is the reason?

At very low speeds the wheels barely turn and generally are straight.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
All my previous bmws had rear axle steering and it was possible to disable that by enabling “chains mode”. I don’t have RAS on my taycan and can’t check, but I’d suggest to give that a try if such a mode exists on Porsche

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Nope.

Are you sure this is the reason?

I'm suprised that, with its relatively small max angle of RAS deflection, my Taycan is a lot fiddlier to get in to my tight garage space than was my non-RAS Cayenne (similar dimensions to the Taycan). Unless I get it lined up well before entry, if I need to make steering adjustments I often get caught out by unexpected deviation from my intended trajectory so end up having to saw back and forth. This is even after a year's use, so I can imagine having to enter at an angle could be tricky.
(I wonder if my needing to fold the mirrors part way through the manoeuvre is somehow causing the rear camera predicted trajectory to get out of step.)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm suprised that, with its relatively small max angle of RAS deflection, my Taycan is a lot fiddlier to get in to my tight garage space than was my non-RAS Cayenne (similar dimensions to the Taycan). Unless I get it lined up well before entry, if I need to make steering adjustments I often get caught out by unexpected deviation from my intended trajectory so end up having to saw back and forth. This is even after a year's use, so I can imagine having to enter at an angle could be tricky.
(I wonder if my needing to fold the mirrors part way through the manoeuvre is somehow causing the rear camera predicted trajectory to get out of step.)
Yea, RAS does make it impossible for me to park the Taycan as tightly as I used to park a Model S, which is almost the same size, but no RAS. It also requires very shallow angle approach. This is as close as I can get (there is a "lip" in front of the Taycan, so I cannot just pull in/out straight). You can see the rear is not as close as the front, as the back swings out when I pull the front closer to the side. Side note, all of Taycan's electronic parking aids (cameras, 3D view, ultrasonic sensors) are completely useless for parking within less than a foot of any obstacles.
Porsche Taycan Disable Rear Axle Steering? 1682925026568

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
At very low speed the rear wheels steer proportionately to the front, looking at the wheel traces on the 3D view and the feel of the car, so if you are at front full lock the rears are at maximum steer in the opposite direction.
The rears only remain straight whilst the fronts are straight.

It takes a bit of getting used to.

Sarah's dog chariot

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mamba 4S sport T super yay!
Country flag
Yea, RAS does make it impossible for me to park the Taycan as tightly as I used to park a Model S, which is almost the same size, but no RAS. It also requires very shallow angle approach. This is as close as I can get (there is a "lip" in front of the Taycan, so I cannot just pull in/out straight). You ca see the rear is not as close as the front, as the back swings out when I pull the front closer to the side. Side note, all of Taycan's electronic parking aids (cameras, 3D view, ultrasonic sensors) are completely useless for parking within less than a foot of any obstacles.
1682925026568.png
I salute the nerve needed to park like this !!! I am sure there is some kind of trophy for you somewhere !! just wow.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
At very low speed the rear wheels steer proportionately to the front, looking at the wheel traces on the 3D view and the feel of the car, so if you are at front full lock the rears are at maximum steer in the opposite direction.
The rears only remain straight whilst the fronts are straight.

It takes a bit of getting used to.
I've had RAS on both my Taycans and struggle to see the rears turn when low speed parking maneuvering - in fact unless the car is moving the rears will re-centre is my understanding / experience (I could be wrong).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I've had RAS on both my Taycans and struggle to see the rears turn when low speed parking maneuvering - in fact unless the car is moving the rears will re-centre is my understanding / experience (I could be wrong).
If you look at the 3D plan view the trajectory of the wheels is shown and as you turn the steering wheel the front wheel trajectory is shown as an arc and the rear as a smaller arc, on mine anyway.
I benefit from this getting into my drive from the nearside lane and doing tight turns round roundabouts.

I have to keep an eye on it to make sure my rear wheel doesn’t kerb itself when pulling out of a tight parking space, in fact I now make a point of parking a bit away from the kerb than I used to.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
This discussion settles the matter for me: I will no longer ponder whether I made a good decision in not including RAS. I have not thought about it causing the rear wheels to go closer to the curb when driving out, but of couse it does that. Glad I don't need to think about it.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Luckily you guys have an obsessed member with an accute case of Taycanitis who spends his day playing with the pcm simulator.

This should fix the issue? Specially if assigned to the steering wheel button?

Porsche Taycan Disable Rear Axle Steering? Screenshot_2023-05-01-16-55-15-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
Luckily you guys have an obsessed member with an accute case of Taycanitis who spends his day playing with the pcm simulator.

This should fix the issue? Specially if assigned to the steering wheel button?

Screenshot_2023-05-01-16-55-15-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Is this option is available for anyone? It sure isn't there on mine.