Electrical system error -- dashboard notification -- anyone else experience this? -- resolution - defective 12v battery

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
You feel my pain. Appreciate the sympathy. I just about had an out of body experience when I drove up Independence Pass on my way to Aspen a couple of weeks ago, so I really want to do that again.
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have what may be a stupid question. I have seen the need for a special LiFePo4 trickle charger. I have Noco battery booster to boost my ICE car when the battery dies - happened more times than I care to admit since I don’t drive much. If my battery dies on the Taycan, can I use the Noco booster to get it going or do I need something else when I don’t have access to a plug to recharge the 12v battery? Really hoping this never happens though.

Like many, EVs are new to me and I never really considered that it may not “start” when it is potentially sitting on a giant 93kwh battery full of power.
According to the NOCO site, the answer is NO. They state that the NOCO Boost is designed to jump start lead acid batteries and the lithium batteries are sensitive to how current is applied.
https://no.co/support/boost-faq

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
According to the NOCO site, the answer is NO. They state that the NOCO Boost is designed to jump start lead acid batteries and the lithium batteries are sensitive to how current is applied.
https://no.co/support/boost-faq
Thanks. Is there an alternative that you know of? All of the links that I have seen mentioned here are for trickle chargers. I would like to get something that uses a battery. Appreciate your research and the insight of this forum. The wealth of knowledge and the helpfulness of this forum’s participants is impressive.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks. Is there an alternative that you know of? All of the links that I have seen mentioned here are for trickle chargers. I would like to get something that uses a battery. Appreciate your research and the insight of this forum. The wealth of knowledge and the helpfulness of this forum’s participants is impressive.
I am also new to EVs and to Lithium Ion car batteries. The Taycan owner's manual mentions that you can try to revive the Taycan 12v battery by connecting it to another vehicle for at least 5 minutes. I'm wondering if you could use a portable lead acid battery jumper to do the same thing (i.e., connect the negative and positive clamps to the Taycan's remote battery posts and let it sit passively for 5 to 10 minutes to see if the Taycan's electrical system reactivates).

Porsche Taycan Electrical system error --  dashboard notification  --  anyone else experience this?  --  resolution  -  defective 12v battery Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.27.55 PM

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I am also new to EVs and to Lithium Ion car batteries. The Taycan owner's manual mentions that you can try to revive the Taycan 12v battery by connecting it to another vehicle for at least 5 minutes. I'm wondering if you could use a portable lead acid battery jumper to do the same thing (i.e., connect the negative and positive clamps to the Taycan's remote battery posts and let it sit passively for 5 to 10 minutes to see if the Taycan's electrical system reactivates).

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.27.55 PM.png
Good thought. I saw that too in the manual and wondered the same thing when I read it. If needed, I may try that before resorting to other methods. I hope that is an if and not a when. Still waiting on my allocation - perhaps this won’t even be an issue by the time I get mine. Once again, appreciate the research.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Yes, another 12v battery can be used (as noted above in the manual)

You need it twice (all of this is in the manual as well):
1) to connect in the fuse panel to get the remote to pop the frunk.
2) then connect to the 12v Lithium Ion battery to get you back to the state where the car will Turn On.
Then the car will recharge the 12v from the 800v battery.

I reiterate, this is unlikely, and if you don’t even have a car yet, don’t go spending money on recovery tools. (Sorry if I sound like your wife/husband/partner/judgmental cat)

Unless you like tools. I like tools. I get it.

miglio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s - Cayenne Coupe Hybrid - Carrera S 992
Country flag
Have you news ?

here same issue after 10 days

Porsche Taycan Electrical system error --  dashboard notification  --  anyone else experience this?  --  resolution  -  defective 12v battery 3D26D3BD-9D34-43D9-9FDE-8986EC264027

miglio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s - Cayenne Coupe Hybrid - Carrera S 992
Country flag
I wanted to see if the anyone on the forum has received this message? It is the 2nd time I have received it - the first time it just went way when I turned off the car, and turned back on. This time the message has not cleared itself itself after turning the car off and on. I have an appointment with the dealership in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone has experience, or was able to clear themselves. thanks in advance.

IMG_9681.jpg
News about ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Yes. I had the 12v battery replaced, and then I had the DC converter replaced, and now the car is not throwing any electrical faults.
did I fix it for you? see above - typo fixed.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
thanks. I went and fixed in my original post as well. thanks for proof reading for me.

TaycanTurboUK

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, i8 going soon
Country flag
Found this forum and thread by having a Google of this issue.
I picked up my Taycan Turbo yesterday afternoon and drove it about 30 miles home, got about ½m into my journey to work this morning and had this warning come up.
Spoke to the Porsche dealer and they said they had never heard of the issue before, have since been back and told them about what I have seen here and elsewhere and they are still saying this is a new problem.
Sounds like it is one that has been around for a while and one that is still not recognised by Porsche, my car was built 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored