Fully Spec'd 4S or Base Turbo?

• Total voters

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Counter intuitive opinion: Turbo power is MORE usable than 4S. Because you can actually feel the kick at highway speeds, where it’s safer. 4S only feels outrageously fast on local roads, where it’s usually not safe to use.
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I'd go with the spec'ed-up 4S + rather than a zero-option Turbo. But, for me, it was the same dilemma, except between a fully-loaded Turbo vs a base Turbo S. I wanted the full motor sizes of the Turbo and up, but really don't need max launch power (which to me is the main difference in the drivetrains of the Turbo and Turbo S), and I'm not a fan of carbon fiber exterior trims. The Turbo gives me huge discounts from the 4S prices on many of the extras I want, so I still end up well-under a base Turbo S.

Same things would apply to the 4S vs Turbo, but you compare it to the RWD with extras, it's still a lot less drivetrain and goodies than the 4S.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM9AN647

Last edited:
OP
OP
dragcity

dragcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Sounds like what you really want is a GTS... if you can wait that long
GTS is usually my go to spec. Have they announced they'll releasing a Taycan GTS?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I'm sure it's crossed your minds when configuring your specs so curious to know what people think.

Base Turbo would mean very basic i.e. no pano roof, upgraded wheels, adaptive cruise, etc.
This was exactly my situation. I had originally ordered a Turbo, but because of cost concerns it was lightly specced. Due to Covid delays I had a lot of time to read reviews, watch videos, learn about the options, and understand that for me, at least, there was little real-world difference between the 4S and the Turbo. I ended up revamping my order completely, and switched to a very well-specced 4S and still saved a few bucks. I'm very glad I did.

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
Between your two choices, I'd go for a 4S with options.

However, I'd also rather not get a 4S and save up a bit more to get a Turbo with more options (if money is the concern).. but that's just me. I'm more of a "all or nothing" kind of guy.

If you're just after better value, then yes - a 4S with options is better than a base Turbo. But if money is a factor, I'd just save more to get exactly what I want.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I went with a lightly-specced Turbo vs. a fully loaded 4S. My last Porsche was a fully-loaded Panamera 4S (specced it to $170k), and I always felt like it was missing some HP/TQ and I regreatted not getting the Turbo or waiting for the GTS. So in this case I went in the other direction.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If the choice was purely a no-config Turbo vs 4S, I'd easily pick the 4S as there are far too many options missing that should be standard, such as parking cameras.

I started with a £100k budget, so went for the 4S and managed to sneak it up to £111k. Even at that price point, nearly £30k over base, I was considering the resale value so considered a Turbo for £20k more. In the end I ended up with a specced-exactly-how-we-wanted Turbo just because of circumstances, but I don't regret it at all. In fact, that's not entirely true - I regret not getting a Turbo S, so have ordered a MY2022 Turbo S.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Taycan's are basically all the same – except power train.
i.e., Turbo has extras that you all can option on a 4S, except the extra torque and hp.

So the question is, can you actually use the ridiculous power of a Turbo in your county?
I'd rather drive a well speced 4S+ than a naked Turbo.

In all my driving I never hit the go pedal all the way. My 4S+ has enough power.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I went with a lightly-specced Turbo vs. a fully loaded 4S. My last Porsche was a fully-loaded Panamera 4S (specced it to $170k), and I always felt like it was missing some HP/TQ and I regreatted not getting the Turbo or waiting for the GTS. So in this case I went in the other direction.
Sure, but you cannot compare an ICE with an EV.

OP
OP
dragcity

dragcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
If the choice was purely a no-config Turbo vs 4S, I'd easily pick the 4S as there are far too many options missing that should be standard, such as parking cameras.

I started with a £100k budget, so went for the 4S and managed to sneak it up to £111k. Even at that price point, nearly £30k over base, I was considering the resale value so considered a Turbo for £20k more. In the end I ended up with a specced-exactly-how-we-wanted Turbo just because of circumstances, but I don't regret it at all. In fact, that's not entirely true - I regret not getting a Turbo S, so have ordered a MY2022 Turbo S.
I'm basically in this boat, only issue is I called the dealer yesterday to see if I could change my existing slot to a Turbo and unfortunately it's a slot only for the 4S and if I wanted the Turbo I'd be looking towards the end of the year for delivery. Circumstances mean I need a car asap so regrettably that's not really an option.

I mean I'd never say no to extra power but if I was being honest the upgrade was strictly for higher residual value if and when it came to resale.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
4S just about wins it for me, because there are a few extras that I think are a must. However I do put the pedal to the floor and whilst it’s quick, I’ve got used to it so I’d like more please! It’s a tough decision.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
after a few launches the additional HP/torque offered by the turbos gets old quickly, how many traffic light races does one need to win?
IMHO a well spec'd 4s is a fine car for most people's needs

ColoradoTaycan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2015 GT3
Country flag
I just went through this. I was coming from a high spec'd Panamera turbo and thought the 4S might feel like a downgrade. I was really wrong. In my day-to-day driving the 4S feels just as fast as my Panamera was. I was able to spec a 4S with all the options I wanted (things that matter more everyday than straight line speed).

One option for the 4S I would personally recommend is the race-tex roof. Turbo models come with this standard and I think it really helps elevate the interior.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm basically in this boat, only issue is I called the dealer yesterday to see if I could change my existing slot to a Turbo and unfortunately it's a slot only for the 4S and if I wanted the Turbo I'd be looking towards the end of the year for delivery. Circumstances mean I need a car asap so regrettably that's not really an option.
Each dealer is allocated different build slots, so you could try somewhere else. In January, after I discovered my 4S was pushed to Q3 instead of Q2, another member here pointed me to the new Norwich branch with a March build slot for a Turbo. Out of courtesy I told Cambridge I was looking to cancel and move, but they then let me know of a last minute cancellation for a February build for a Turbo. And here we are - they delivered as promised.
Sponsored