NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I have a spinning blue circle on my PCM and the regular screen doesn’t load. I have read that you can lock the car, wait 45 min, then unlock and start the car (which will reset the PCM). Does anyone know an easier way to reset/reboot the PCM?
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You don't need to wait 45 minutes. 5 minutes after locking is sufficient.

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I once read you have to klick in one edge with 2 fingers. Could not find it anymore, would be handy to use while driving.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tap two fingers on the top right hand corner of the upper screen
This actually works. Was driving over the weekend and Apple Music wasn't working (again). My usual "activate then deactivate privacy settings" didn't sort it out, so I asked my wife (who for once had let me drive the car instead of her!) to try the two finger reboot and it actually worked. Hold two fingers in the top right of the upper centre screen for a few seconds (near the home button), and all screens will suddenly turn off (don't worry, you can carry on driving, but the sat nav is not useable). After a while you get a choice of options, including "engineering mode" - I wouldn't advise selecting that, and, with my tech skills, I certainly wouldn't as I'd probably put the car into some self-destruct sequence. The bottom option is "reboot". The PCM then reboots like a late 90s windows PC, and eventually comes back online. Don't panic if all the icons are not there initially, it takes a while for them to load-up. After the Apple Music icon had eventually loaded-up again, it started working. This seems to be a harder reboot than just turning the car off and walking away for a bit, and works while on the move.

OP
OP
NormF

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
This actually works. Was driving over the weekend and Apple Music wasn't working (again). My usual "activate then deactivate privacy settings" didn't sort it out, so I asked my wife (who for once had let me drive the car instead of her!) to try the two finger reboot and it actually worked. Hold two fingers in the top right of the upper centre screen for a few seconds (near the home button), and all screens will suddenly turn off (don't worry, you can carry on driving, but the sat nav is not useable). After a while you get a choice of options, including "engineering mode" - I wouldn't advise selecting that, and, with my tech skills, I certainly wouldn't as I'd probably put the car into some self-destruct sequence. The bottom option is "reboot". The PCM then reboots like a late 90s windows PC, and eventually comes back online. Don't panic if all the icons are not there initially, it takes a while for them to load-up. After the Apple Music icon had eventually loaded-up again, it started working. This seems to be a harder reboot than just turning the car off and walking away for a bit, and works while on the move.
Yes, I re-booted this way also, but it didn’t fix my PCM problem so they are replacing it. The trick is to select Reboot with a quick ”tap” on that menu choice, rather than a “press” which I was doing at first.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tried the two finger in the right upper corner reboot today for fun... and it worked... the screen was off for a couple of minutes and reboot into engineering mode which you can pick to just do a reboot... has anyone played with the engineering mode? what does it do? or just diagnostics?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd suggest poking around too much. Considering how many software problems exist for "normal" problems, a problem caused by a user poking around in engineering mode might take a year to get fixed...

Dok Ben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey!

I tried the two finger tap on the upper screen in my car but it didnt work. How long do you need to tap? Is it the right corner of the upper screen or the other side near the home button as someone mentioned before?

Thank you

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have a spinning blue circle on my PCM and the regular screen doesn’t load. I have read that you can lock the car, wait 45 min, then unlock and start the car (which will reset the PCM). Does anyone know an easier way to reset/reboot the PCM?
Wait for your 12V battery to die? ;)

(Bad Ed! Bad, Bad, Bad, Ed! I am truly evil and bad... Sorry....)

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey!

I tried the two finger tap on the upper screen in my car but it didnt work. How long do you need to tap? Is it the right corner of the upper screen or the other side near the home button as someone mentioned before?

Thank you
Near the home button - hold two fingers for about 2/3 seconds.

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
While being in the middle of the handover, I tried it immediately after first entering the car. It worked instantly - w/o trying, just intuitively. As the sales consultant (very astonished) was sitting beneath me, I did not dig deeper - just hastily selecting "reboot".
And now, since having the Taycan4S for roughly two weeks, I tried very hard to get this done again, nearly daily, many times.
Permuting: position/distance of finger tips/inclination of fingertips/duration, and I never ever succeeded again.
Can this be activated more than once at all?
@Schlarbsi - as the credit here goes to you: Wouldn't this be worth a thread of it's own? "Hidden Service Menu" (or so) rather than "How to reboot PCM?". It can be assumed that the information on this topic will grow.

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This can be done as often as you like. Will post a new topic ;-)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've been trying to reboot the PCM without success.

Some of you say two fingers in the upper right.
Some of you say two fingers by the home button (which is upper left.)

Neither seems to work. Can someone make a video?

EDIT: It's the clock. Two fingers on the clock.

Last edited:

showtime88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Country flag
ive experienced this issue for the first time today. i tried 2 fingers on the clock but nothing happens. is there a trick to it? hate to bring it in just for this...
Sponsored