snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
According to this article, 8 new CarPlay apps are coming in 2024, but might be specific to 2024 model cars, including --
  • Auto Settings: This app will let you manage paired iPhones and adjust vehicle settings.
  • Car Camera: This app will display the vehicle's rear-view camera feed.
  • Charge: For electric vehicles, this app will display battery level, charging status, time remaining until the battery is fully charged, and more.
  • Climate: This app will provide access to a vehicle's climate controls within CarPlay, allowing you to adjust the temperature of the A/C or heating system, fan speed, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and more.
  • Closures: This app will display if any of the vehicle's doors are opened, and it might also display vehicle warning symbols.
  • Media: This app will provide access to FM and AM radio station controls within CarPlay, along with other media options like SiriusXM. It is unclear if SiriusXM will offer satellite connectivity, or remain limited to internet streaming. Users will be able to select from a list of music genres, such as Top 40 and Rock.
  • Tire Pressure: This app will display air pressure for each of the vehicle's tires, and provide low pressure, high pressure, and flat tire warnings.
  • Trips: This app will provide a variety of driving-related data, including the vehicle's average speed, fuel efficiency or energy efficiency, the total time elapsed and distance traveled on a trip, and more.
Not sure whether Porsche will support these apps of course (e.g., access to the camera, door lock status, media, tire pressure, etc.), but if they did it would be interesting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Again, its a question of motivation. But much of that data is coming off the CANBUS (or equivalent). And given that we can already control climate via MyPorsche CarPlay app – demonstrating two way communications. I'm reasonably optimistic that we'll see this. It might very well be the off-ramp that Porsche needs to maintain a modern experience in their "older" cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Again, its a question of motivation. But much of that data is coming off the CANBUS (or equivalent). And given that we can already control climate via MyPorsche CarPlay app – demonstrating two way communications. I'm reasonably optimistic that we'll see this. It might very well be the off-ramp that Porsche needs to maintain a modern experience in their "older" cars.
Porsche will still have to maintain Apple Car Play and MyPorsche in order for those to continue working. It will be interesting at which point they will end of life all connectivity services on Porsches. Tesla is still supporting 12 year old cars today, but they all require to be updated to the latest software in order to be supported for remote connectivity. Porsche does not have this level of OTA, and people will balk at paying dealers to update their cars even if every year or two.

Last edited:

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Android needs to catch up. They're way behind with deeper integration into cars.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
I don't consider those to be new features but more like porting more features from My Porsche App to Carplay, so they simply develop/maintain the vehicle driving performance management.

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't consider those to be new features but more like porting more features from My Porsche App to Carplay, so they simply develop/maintain the vehicle driving performance management.
The odd thing is that in the article they call these "apps", not "features of My Porsche". I'm definitely curious what this will look like. For example, you might be able to initiate an app and put it in a Tube on the main dash, which is different than just displaying information on the main CarPlay display.

P.S. I like the colors on your Porsche key fob that match the Rubystar and the brake calipers. :like:

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
The odd thing is that in the article they call these "apps", not "features of My Porsche". I'm definitely curious what this will look like. For example, you might be able to initiate an app and put it in a Tube on the main dash, which is different than just displaying information on the main CarPlay display.

P.S. I like the colors on your Porsche key fob that match the Rubystar and the brake calipers. :like:
You are right, Carplay Nextgen will work like this; Apple will provide apps with widgets for certain capabilities. These widgets can be placed on the homescreen of Carplay (and for next gen, on one of the screens). The work for the vehicle manufactures is to implement the connection between the apps/widgets and the car.

So right now, the MyPorsche app have these capabilities, but it will be separated over different apps. So Apple is still in control of the look and feel (and can still demand stuff like instant response, fast booting and security). Carplay will talk with your car and only show the apps/widgets that are capable to do things with your car, others will be left out. I read some rumors that all Carplay Nextgen vehicles need an Apple chip in the car, probably for instant responses and security.

It will be cool, but I expect it to be very limited at start. Just like HomeKit, the platform for smart devices. It works from the beginning but the options are limited.

What I dislike is that everything will be Apple-fied. Brands will probably have some room for styling. But I guess everything will have the childish and way too colourfull Apple look. Carplay is not for me, but I do enjoy it in rental cars, since Inreally don’t want to invest time to understand computers in cars that are not mine.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Macan EV runs on Android Automotive OS.
Had no idea, thanks. They're doing a great job of keeping it a secret (or I'm just admittedly out of the loop). I wonder if that is a viable upgrade possibility for current Taycans.
Sponsored