Overly cautious with my Taycan

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
why would anyone save their girlfriend for her next boyfriend (and all other permutations of preferences lest I inadvertently offend)?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish I'd done that and will next time.

Every Porsche I've ever had gets tiny pockmarks all over the windwhield.
The coating on Porsche windshields makes it look like they’ve got little marks all over it when looking directly into the sun. I’ve had this on every new Porsche I’ve owned, including the Taycan.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
At 800 miles I had 2 huge ones that should have cracked the windshield both times and I see the small pockmarks on the PPF too.
I'll need to replace the PPF after 2000 Miles. I'll replace the PPF every year
Replacing the PPF every year? Not sure I've ever seen someone do that before.

In terms of the topic itself, I have yet to have a negative interaction with someone, and if anyone is going to stick out, it's an acid green Porsche. Just this week I had the guy ahead of me in the drive thru lane lean out of his car to give me a thumbs up and at least 3 employees give me a positive comment.

In my view, you're far more likely to have your car damaged by someone that is just oblivious than for someone to go out of their way to damage your car unless you're the type of person to park across multiple spots or otherwise act like a complete jerk.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Replacing the PPF every year? Not sure I've ever seen someone do that before.

In terms of the topic itself, I have yet to have a negative interaction with someone, and if anyone is going to stick out, it's an acid green Porsche. Just this week I had the guy ahead of me in the drive thru lane lean out of his car to give me a thumbs up and at least 3 employees give me a positive comment.

In my view, you're far more likely to have your car damaged by someone that is just oblivious than for someone to go out of their way to damage your car unless you're the type of person to park across multiple spots or otherwise act like a complete jerk.
The windshield PPF I should have said

I agree on the positive interaction also.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
What type of PPF did you use on your windshield and do you think it is hazy or distorted?
There are really only 2 brands out there.
I have Stek Dynoflex and there is a little distortion on the curved part of the windshield, not hazy. It's a good idea to replace it every year if it's exposed to a lot of sun as that increases distortion.
I learned to look through it and I couldn't live without.

I didn't drive my car until I got PPF and the windshield done.

I got hit 2x hard with rocks on the windshield to were might have penetrated through. I need to replace is to see if it, but If didn't have the PPF, the windshield would have certainly cracked.

I'm extremely picky and all windshields have small pockmarks. The Stek Dynoflex also protects against that.

Stek has put the product on hold, probably due to increased distortion as time goes.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
There are really only 2 brands out there.
I have Stek Dynoflex and there is a little distortion on the curved part of the windshield, not hazy. It's a good idea to replace it every year if it's exposed to a lot of sun as that increases distortion.
I learned to look through it and I couldn't live without.

I didn't drive my car until I got PPF and the windshield done.

I got hit 2x hard with rocks on the windshield to were might have penetrated through. I need to replace is to see if it, but If didn't have the PPF, the windshield would have certainly cracked.

I'm extremely picky and all windshields have small pockmarks. The Stek Dynoflex also protects against that.

Stek has put the product on hold, probably due to increased as time goes.
Thanks. I'll look into getting the Steak when they start selling it again

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not in the metro nyc area...
Makes sense. When I was there on vaca I saw cars parallel parked on the street just inches from each other. The cab driver told me it’s ok to bump the cars in front and behind you there to get in/out of spaces. So NYC is definitely no place for the OP.

Satiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’ve had my 22 RWD for 6 months now and LOVE IT…..BUT a significant downside is that I feel continuously and perhaps excessively overly cautious with it. Case in point I went to the supermarket today (parking far/isolated as always) in a good northern Cal neighborhood. I received a work phone call while parking and spoke for about 35 minutes in the car. Several individuals walking by checked my car out as per usual but at least 2 individuals gave me less than pleasant looks. My concern was enough that I left and later returned to the supermarket in my wife’s car. Do I need to just relax or is this degree of caution normal/appropriate? I feel like cougar in top gun 1. I’m holding on too tight.
Many good suggestions here.

As LeawoodCT and others pointed out, the "less-than-pleasant stares" were intended more for the distant parking than for the ownership of a Porsche.

What's concerning is how quickly you identified it with you and Porsche ownership to return to the same place with another car. Ignore (and stop looking at other people's reactions) and simply enjoy your well-earned automobile.

24 years back I purchased my first new Lexus (beyond my means at that time), was a daily driver to work. Always parked at distant, and my 'care' didn't stop there. Each day I pull the full car cover from the truck, cover it completely and walked to the office :D . Not a single moment bothered about others opinions or views.

Fast forwarding to today, I still park cars at distance (minus the car cover) wherever I go to!.

Take it easy , ignore others and just enjoy the beautiful Taycan .

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Makes sense. When I was there on vaca I saw cars parallel parked on the street just inches from each other. The cab driver told me it’s ok to bump the cars in front and behind you there to get in/out of spaces. So NYC is definitely no place for the OP.
DC can be the same way, but I swear that if your bumper is pristine, 99% of the people do not want to be the first one to mar it. By contrast, if you let one scratch/bump/dent stay on your bumper, it can be open season . . .

I parallel park my 1 of 50 club coupe all of the time, but I think most people are a little scared of it, so it has only been bumped once (no damage) WHILE I WAS SITTING IN THE CAR :)