TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countach, Diablo SE30, Taycan Turbo, Lamborghini 5C
Country flag
Turbo (non-S) - I haven't noticed a performance drop until 20% - 30%, but that was on a track day. I also haven't been looking for it. Now I have a reason to hold off charging for a few days and do some more launch control tests. <evil grin>
I'll take a look at this next time I run my battery down. Car is now charged to 85% and I'm not going anywhere much for the foreseeable so could be a few weeks before I can see what happens!
Sponsored

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I'll keep an eye out too next time I drive mine. I hadn't noticed any drop except for one journey where I was down to about 15 miles range left.

At the time I thought it must be a limp home mode and I was being told off even though I knew I had no issue getting to a charge point. I hadn't expected it and it could've been very dangerous as I only found out about the reduced performance when I went for an overtake and clearly I didn't get the response from the car that I'd expected! It's very alarming when . Would've been nice to get some warning from the dealer on that.

I really hope the power restriction doesn't start at 60%, not that I've noticed it, but now the idea has been floated I really don't like the idea! I wonder if it could be overridden.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hadn't expected it and it could've been very dangerous as I only found out about the reduced performance when I went for an overtake and clearly I didn't get the response from the car that I'd expected! It's very alarming when . Would've been nice to get some warning from the dealer on that.
Yes, it's a very, very dangerous "feature". If it is not a fault with the car and an intentional thing there should be a massive warning on the dash that the car is operating on reduced power. I actually had that experience yesterday overtaking a Golf and barely made it back in before some double white lines on a piece of road where there's normally plenty of room to overtake if you've got 500BHP+. It's not fun when you discover you've actually got considerably less power than that but you're already committed to the overtake!

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It does tell you quite clearly on the centre display power meter (I documented this in previous posts). What’s frustrating is that it’s not detailed much in the manual.

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is a design function and affects everyone. I’m amazed more people haven’t commented on it. An extract from the manual follows:

The current electric drive power (from "12 o'clock" to "6 o'clock" position) and the current recuperation capacity (from "12 o'clock" to "9 o'clock " position anti-clockwise) is shown in the Power meter. The display can be activated and deactivated.

The power meter will show the electric drive power which reduces as your battery charge reduces. By how much and when isn’t documented.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Rob_UK. I will look into that next I drive the car. I don't think I have that screen showing on the dashboard.

I do think though that there should be a very prominent warning light that is not dependent on your dashboard configuration to tell you that the 616BHP you thought you had is actually going to feel more like 250BHP so you don't get caught out (or dead).

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I couldn’t agree more with the warning light. Everyone has the power meter on the middle dial of the main screen. The power meter also shows the recuperation capacity and electric drive power. It’s not obvious but small dials around the periphery of the main power meter display.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
@Rob_UK can you explain more how you would use that dial? AFAIK the blue line just tells you how much power you're currently using. Are you saying there's something else there that indicates the max power you can use?

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes blue line tells you how much power you are using but the available power bar varies from 3 o’clock to 6 o’clock depending on your battery charge. Check it out for yourself and see how the outer bar varies depending on how much battery charge you have. It really starts to drop off below 50% charge. Very few people are aware of how the Taycan throttles back the available drive power depending on battery charge and possibly even temperature.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes blue line tells you how much power you are using but the available power bar varies from 3 o’clock to 6 o’clock depending on your battery charge. Check it out for yourself and see how the outer bar varies depending on how much battery charge you have. It really starts to drop off below 50% charge. Very few people are aware of how the Taycan throttles back the available drive power depending on battery charge and possibly even temperature.
You may be on to something there - I wonder if battery temperature has a big effect. Perhaps if you flip the car into sports plus for a while, which warms up the battery to improve performance, you can drag back some of that performance loss when under 50% SoC. Ah, but then obviously you lose more SoC by being in Sports Plus and warming the battery. Dammit.

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good point. I’ll preheat battery today and go out for a test drive and see. SoC is 46%.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Just jumped in to move mine this morning, 1C was the temp. 85% charge and the power meter looked well down below 95%. At a guess would’ve said more like 75-80% ?. I guess ICE cars perform differently according to the weather too but the variation isn’t as much as that!

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting - normally anything above 60/65% is 100% power. I completed my tests this morning and battery temp does make a small difference. Drive mode makes no difference. Biggest impact on available power is battery SoC.
Sponsored

Last edited: