Performance drop with low SOC?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can confirm that the battery temperature as an influence on power and regeneration.

For the sake of testing I've made a test before and after preheating ;)

here is a picture taken today @18:55
20210109_200632.jpg

and another one taken @20:00 after preheating the car
20210109_200726.jpg
That's interesting. I never even noticed the gray bars.

Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 1610938432264

Very low bar in otherwise perfect conditions. Outside temp 29°C.
Sponsored

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The photos is the previous post are from a 4S. Maybe the power loss at low SOC and low battery temperature only happens to Turbo (S).
The 4S max power is already lower than a Turbo and the battery can probably provide the max power even at low SOC.
Interesting point, my photos are from a Turbo which clearly evidence power loss at <50% soc and even worse with a low battery temp.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
This may have been covered somewhere on here before but I couldn’t find much about it.

Is it normal for the performance to drop off when the car is below a certain charge level?

My Taycan Turbo has gone below 30% charge for the first time and it’s as if I’m carrying an extra 2 tonnes. It’s certainly not a fast car at the moment.

I’d like to know if other people notice this?

Thanks,
TSS
I have also noticed the drop when SOC is approaching 20%. Battery temperature also seems to impact the performance (obviously).

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting point, my photos are from a Turbo which clearly evidence power loss at <50% soc and even worse with a low battery temp.
This would be an interesting data point - at the same battery temperature as the SOC for a Turbo or Turbo S declines, does the available power output approach that of a 4S? Meaning all the extra money paid to step up to Turbo or Turbo S is only buying you extra acceleration at higher SOC...?

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
The 4S max power is already lower than a Turbo and the battery can probably provide the max power even at low SOC.
You do realize that it it the motors, and not the battery, that does the work, right?
My guesstimation is that power loss is simply due to lower potential (Voltage) of the battery. (In addition to the temperature, obvs.)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You do realize that it it the motors, and not the battery, that does the work, right?
My guesstimation is that power loss is simply due to lower potential (Voltage) of the battery. (In addition to the temperature, obvs.)
Exactly. The 4s motors need less power than the Turbo motors, so even when cold or low SOC, the battery has enough power to feed the 4s motors but not enough for the Turbo Motors. That is my theory.

Last edited:

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Exactly. The 4s motors need less power than the Turbo motors, so even when cold or low SOC, the battery has enough power to feed the 4s motors but not enough for the Turbo Motors. That is my theory.
That's not how it works.

Replace "The 4S motors needs less power" with "the 4S motors can utilize less power" and your train of through is where it should be. The different motors will still utilize as much as they can, whenever the driver asks for it.

The motors have X usable Watt. Let's for convenience sake say 100W for 4S and 125W for T.
When the battery is at 100%, Voltage is some 800V-ish. Both the 4S and Turbo will decline the same, from their respective starting point (100W vs. 125W). I'm sure there are programming logic (might be that power decline starts at 50%, might be more/less), diameter of cable, losses etc etc as well.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I’m not qualified to comment on any of the recent posts but it all sounds logical to me!

Mine is a 4S with performance battery.

Today I only noticed Power loss once my range notification popped up, just over 20% charge. Battery temp around 25C. I was driving so had to wait to get home to take photo. Power reduction started only very slightly in the meter, but very noticeable when I accelerated hard I could see the bar shrink, then it would return some way to where it was before when I lifted off. Meter stayed at same levels in normal mode.

photo when I got home - battery was 13%.

can I get rid of the range notification in the cluster? It looks like the back arrow symbol at the top is a button, pretty sure it’s not!

Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? AB127ED5-7C4B-4266-B4E3-AD54FEF34CC1

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
About 50 miles left in range, and depending on weather, it drops off hard

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been in Sport+ the whole time and can feel it using both gears. I agree that 3 degrees is not great for the battery, but the performance drop I'm experiencing is significant. I can't believe it is just because of temperature - Taycans in properly cold countries would grind to a halt!
Yep, cold weather is Kryptonite for these things. Great car for a place like Florida or Arizona. Garbage in Midwest or Minnesota

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
My car was at 50% and the power was reduced. I think this is totally unacceptable. I was never told by Porsche that this would happen. I think its to increase the range to make more people buy the car. My respect for Porsche has gone through the floor. I know its good to drive but the software issues are laughable and this is similar to faking MPG in my book

Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? IMG_3849

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car was at 50% and the power was reduced. I think this is totally unacceptable. I was never told by Porsche that this would happen. I think its to increase the range to make more people buy the car. My respect for Porsche has gone through the floor. I know its good to drive but the software issues are laughable and this is similar to faking MPG in my book

IMG_3849.jpg
yup

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

IMG_3849.jpg
The reason for your drop in power is much more likely to be because of the low battery temperature. 11 degrees Celsius is low. I bet you if you drove the car for some 45 minutes or so you would see the performance increase. Even if the SOC would go down. Go out and try it. It is the same for all EV’s, all normal!

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countach, Diablo SE30, Taycan Turbo, Lamborghini 5C
Country flag
The reason for your drop in power is much more likely to be because of the low battery temperature. 11 degrees Celsius is low. I bet you if you drove the car for some 45 minutes or so you would see the performance increase. Even if the SOC would go down. Go out and try it. It is the same for all EV’s, all normal!
Unfortunately after you'd driven for 45 minutes to heat the battery up the battery would be flat :angry:

This really is something Porsche should have warned people about. The car drives well but this power loss is a joke. I'd rather have less range and full power the whole time. If you charge to the recommended 85% then in many temperature conditions you effectively have normal power for 35% of your battery.

I wonder if some of the ICE tuners will realise there'd be a market for remapping the software in these things.
Sponsored