Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When you preheat the car the battery is warmed. At an outside temperature of 1c the battery is heated to approx 10c after 12 mins and of course the cabin is nice and warm! You can preheat from the Porsche Connect app or from the PCM.

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
it sure did. I even timed some 0-60 mph and the difference was very noticeable indeed. You really need to floor it and hard accelerate to 50/60/70 mph and it really is noticeable. Gradual acceleration or low speed you don’t really notice the performance decrease.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I can confirm that the battery temperature as an influence on power and regeneration.

For the sake of testing I've made a test before and after preheating ;)

here is a picture taken today @18:55
Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 20210109_200632

and another one taken @20:00 after preheating the car
Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 20210109_200726

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for confirming and I really like the way you illustrated the power and regen capacity. I found the temp does impact available power but nowhere near to the same affect as SoC.

Reactions: TIM

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Just jumped in to move mine this morning, 1C was the temp. 85% charge and the power meter looked well down below 95%. At a guess would’ve said more like 75-80% ?. I guess ICE cars perform differently according to the weather too but the variation isn’t as much as that!
ICE cars have more horsepower in cold air - denser with more oxygen to burn.

Mr-Propper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera
Country flag
There is a SoC limit. I am not sure 20 or 30%. Below this SoC value launch Control is not working.

Reactions: TIM

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
ICE cars have more horsepower in cold air - denser with more oxygen to burn.
I know ? I love taking my older cars out when it’s colder. I was trying to console myself, that ICE cars do have similar weather related performance fluctuations, but they’re just nowhere near as big.

I’m very apprehensive about my next drive in the car now. I hope I can’t notice it but I feel I’m going to be disappointed

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
When you preheat the car the battery is warmed. At an outside temperature of 1c the battery is heated to approx 10c after 12 mins and of course the cabin is nice and warm! You can preheat from the Porsche Connect app or from the PCM.
Thanks. Thought it may have been independent to the cabin pre-heat.
So I assume if you don’t pre-heat the car prior to driving but start driving the battery warms up because the cabin is warming and in turn, by consequence or specifically, warming the batteries?
First BEV (owned plenty of Porsches though) so steep learning curve for me!

Thanks.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Thanks. Thought it may have been independent to the cabin pre-heat.
So I assume if you don’t pre-heat the car prior to driving but start driving the battery warms up because the cabin is warming and in turn, by consequence or specifically, warming the batteries?
First BEV (owned plenty of Porsches though) so steep learning curve for me!

Thanks.
No specific selection to pre-heat the batteries. Warming or cooling the interior before departing uses energy from the batteries and pre-heats them, more if you are not plugged into a charger.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
12C (54F) is actually still pretty cold in terms of battery temp. I’m totally guessing, but if you drive around in sport plus for a bit and get the battery up into the 20Cs (more than 68F), I’d hope you’d get closer to full power even at 50% SoC. If you only charge to 85%, it would be pretty disappointing if you only have full power until 60/65% or around 50 miles. I didn’t notice a drop off in power at all during the Summer so am hoping this is just a Winter thang. Just haven’t had the chance to test much of this out during the Winter recently,