TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countach, Diablo SE30, Taycan Turbo, Lamborghini 5C
Country flag
This may have been covered somewhere on here before but I couldn’t find much about it.

Is it normal for the performance to drop off when the car is below a certain charge level?

My Taycan Turbo has gone below 30% charge for the first time and it’s as if I’m carrying an extra 2 tonnes. It’s certainly not a fast car at the moment.

I’d like to know if other people notice this?

Thanks,
TSS
Sponsored

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Below 30, no. But below 10%, yes very noticeable.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Below 30, no. But below 10%, yes very noticeable.
Thanks, that's interesting. My car is on charge now and I'll see if the performance returns when it's charged. I really hope it's not going to have to go back to Porsche for the second time in less than 250 miles from new!

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It could also be a differnce between drive modes. In normal you always start off in 2nd Gear but in Sport/Sport+ you start in 1st gear.

Also its pretty chilly right now, 3 degrees in the UK probably isn't best for current flow from the battery.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It could also be a differnce between drive modes. In normal you always start off in 2nd Gear but in Sport/Sport+ you start in 1st gear.

Also its pretty chilly right now, 3 degrees in the UK probably isn't best for current flow from the battery.
I've been in Sport+ the whole time and can feel it using both gears. I agree that 3 degrees is not great for the battery, but the performance drop I'm experiencing is significant. I can't believe it is just because of temperature - Taycans in properly cold countries would grind to a halt!

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes I’ve noticed the performance drops. It actually starts at around 60% charge and reduces performance to circa 95%. By the time you are <30% charge the performance is less than 50%. The power meter will always show you both the available power and regen for breaks.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you checked the instrument cluster to see if it still sends power to the front wheels? One way to drop performance is by not feeding the front motor.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I’ve noticed the performance drops. It actually starts at around 60% charge and reduces performance to circa 95%. By the time you are <30% charge the performance is less than 50%. The power meter will always show you both the available power and regen for breaks.
Thanks, that's very interesting that you have the same experience. Mine definitely feels like a 250BHP car at the moment. I wonder if it will get better with more mileage. My dealer insists that the car does some sort of automatic "running in" for the first 1,500 miles but has so far not been able to tell me what that means. They are supposed to be speaking to Porsche and coming back to me.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you checked the instrument cluster to see if it still sends power to the front wheels? One way to drop performance is by not feeding the front motor.
No I haven't. Is there a setting to adjust that?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No I haven't. Is there a setting to adjust that?
It is in the leftmost column on the instrument cluster where the tire pressure is shown. If you scroll on options you can see how power is distributed between the front and rear axles. If you have PDCC you can also see how PDCC kicks in.

OP
OP
TSS

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is in the leftmost column on the instrument cluster where the tire pressure is shown. If you scroll on options you can see how power is distributed between the front and rear axles. If you have PDCC you can also see how PDCC kicks in.
Thanks I'll check that next time I drive the car if the performance doesn't return after charging. I presume that is not a user adjustable thing? Is it a known fault issue?

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t think it’s a fault more by design. As soon as I charge to my regular 85% I get full performance again. The power meter always show available power in the 12 to 6 position clockwise. Regen for breaks is 12 to 9 anti-clockwise. I can’t find any documentation on this which is frustrating.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Turbo (non-S) - I haven't noticed a performance drop until 20% - 30%, but that was on a track day. I also haven't been looking for it. Now I have a reason to hold off charging for a few days and do some more launch control tests. <evil grin>

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think is more noticeable without launch control. Take a pic of your central display power meter when your battery is less than 50%. I’m prepared to bet the meter will show you operating at less than 80% power.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My SOC was 30% today and it’s cold outside (1 degree C) and mine didn’t feel as sprightly as usual. Wasn’t all down to traction, or lack of, neither.
Sponsored