Performance Plus Battery

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Hypothetically, for someone looking to buy a 2021 4S model, is there any reason to go for this expensive upgrade? I realize in 2020 it was required, but there's nothing in the Porsche brochure that really justifies the cost outside of better range, which depending on your needs might also not matter.

Maybe what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is that it is called "performance plus" when it really does nothing to increase the actual performance. 0-60 is the same, top speed is the same.

Maybe if they called it performance range extender it would be easier to understand, but in terms of overall performance it seems misleading.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
It is a little bit faster though I have only driven the Plus so can't compare, but in normal driving 490hp instead of 435hp. The main thing is the range, but as that is the main drawback with EVs generally it's a pretty good argument for getting it. It's likely to be one of the only options that increases resale value as well.

You can also get higher max charging speeds, 270kW vs 224 kW.

As I understand it pretty much everyone goes for the bigger battery where there's a choice.

OP
OP
riburn3

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
It is a little bit faster though I have only driven the Plus so can't compare, but in normal driving 490hp instead of 435hp. The main thing is the range, but as that is the main drawback with EVs generally it's a pretty good argument for getting it. It's likely to be one of the only options that increases resale value as well.

You can also get higher max charging speeds, 270kW vs 224 kW.

As I understand it pretty much everyone goes for the bigger battery where there's a choice.
The problem is Porsche quotes the 5%-80% charging speed for both batteries as still being 22.5 minutes. Same acceleration, same top speed. Where is there a quantifiable performance difference for a "performance plus" battery? I realize there's horse power, but in none of Porsche published metrics does it seem to translate into anything substantial.

The only place is seems to matter is range, and even then the smaller battery still isn't EPA rated.

I totally get going for the bigger battery is worth it, especially when looking to resell, but at least in other EV's like Tesla you also see significant performance or range difference for doing so.

My 4S obviously has the plus battery, but I'm just being devil's advocate here. If you never plan on distance traveling in your car and only charge at home like 99% of all EV consumers, it doesn't seem worth it.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
In what way is there not a significant difference in range? And how is charging a bigger battery in the same amount of time not faster charging?

I have to say, having read a few of your posts I don't quite understand your perspective.

OP
OP
riburn3

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
In what way is there not a significant difference in range? And how is charging a bigger battery in the same amount of time not faster charging?

I have to say, having read a few of your posts I don't quite understand your perspective.

For just the the larger range and battery it might be worth it, but again, the name of the battery itself implies overall improved "performance" in a car brand that prides itself on driving performance, not EV performance. How much range is it really since again it isn't EPA rated. Based on WLTP it's worth about 30 extra miles, which is decent. The difference between 270kW vs 224 kW charging speed isn't really that big of a deal, and again, most people will hardly ever charge at those speeds unless you're a road warrior.

Take for example similar batteries from Tesla. A 90D Model S gives you an extra second 0-60 time, 15 miles more top end speed, and 35 miles more range vs the 75D. The MSRP difference was about $8k new.

Not really sure what you mean about my perspective. I don't see why asking questions or hoping for something more substantial from a "performance plus battery" for the price is a bad thing.

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
This is my 4th electric vehicle. I have yet to remember one situation where I thought I should have bought the smaller battery. On the other hand, I had several occasions where I wished the battery was larger.

It is also definitely more than 30 miles extra range - watch the YouTube videos, Bjorn Nyland has done again a great job

Porsche Taycan Performance Plus Battery 1601759600128

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
In the UK the predicted residual value of the Performance Battery Plus version is higher by pretty much the cost of the bigger battery so a no brainer to get the bigger battery.
I do get where you're coming from though but Porsche UK website does show small performance increases in most acceleration parameters but not 0-60.
Who knows.... it may even be that the standard battery version is detuned otherwise acceleration might have been faster 0-60 with the lesser weight.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there are two things you never hear an EV owner say:
  1. my battery is too big
  2. it charges too fast
get the bigger battery.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is that it is called "performance plus" when it really does nothing to increase the actual performance. 0-60 is the same, top speed is the same.
Go for the bigger battery - yes, it’s a chunk of $$$, but possibly the most important upgrade you can select. Even though the 0-60 times are basically the same, the larger battery allows the motors to produce more power, hence the “Plus” label:

Porsche Taycan Performance Plus Battery FEDC6AFB-B578-4FA6-97B2-D50F85161450

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Hypothetically, for someone looking to buy a 2021 4S model, is there any reason to go for this expensive upgrade? I realize in 2020 it was required, but there's nothing in the Porsche brochure that really justifies the cost outside of better range, which depending on your needs might also not matter.

Maybe if they called it performance range extender it would be easier to understand, but in terms of overall performance it seems misleading.
Having driven across Texas too many times to count, and to every corner except Galveston, I find in incredulous that someone in Texas thinks a smaller battery is a great idea!

OP
OP
riburn3

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Having driven across Texas too many times to count, and to every corner except Galveston, I find in incredulous that someone in Texas thinks a smaller battery is a great idea!
Well, as I've said above, my 4S has the plus. But not everyone no matter where they live would need it if they don't plan on road tripping in it. Don't ever recall saying the smaller battery is a great idea so not sure why you find it incredulous. I've coast to coasted in EVs and probably have more EV miles than the majority of folks here, so I understand the value of more range if that's what your needs are.

In general, I agree just going for the increased range makes it worth it alone. I was just trying to have a conversation since the "performance" gains of the bigger battery aren't nearly as substantial as what you see in other EVs when increasing the battery size. I find this ironic coming from a company that specializes in performance vehicles.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I find this ironic coming from a company that specializes in performance vehicles.
Agree. Sometimes the numbers do not tell the whole story. Our 2016 GT4 has the same 0-60 acceleration as the new GT4, even though the new GT4 has significantly more horsepower. You have to look carefully to find that the new GT4 weighs 200 lbs. more. This weight difference may be a similar outcome with the Performance+ battery. Net result is likely to be more mid-range performance difference.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
I spent some time thinking about this as well and decided to tick that option not to regret having not ticked that in future :) and more power and range is always better that other way round. Finally, considering that the battery is typically charged to 80%, 84x0.8 means you get 67.2kwh to spend vs 56.8 kwh. Also note that out of 93 and 79 respectively, only 90% are available for use.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
In terms of performance the battery+ has more power and better acceleration from 60-100mph than the smaller battery. I think that’s about it.
They added power to the battery+ version to keep the 0-60 the same with the added weight. With the same power, the battery+ version would be slower. The slight improvement in 60-100 is a side effect. It's supposed to be the same model.

This seems to be confusing people because for Tesla, the battery sizes directly correspond with different power/trim levels. Porsche could've made it easier by only making the 4S with the small battery but that would've been dumb because the large-battery 4S will be their top-selling variant.
Sponsored