bmcho

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4S
Country flag
2023 4S cross turismo. First winter before software upgrade 370-380 km 100%, after upgrade the second winter now getting just 330-340km 100%. I did switch the second winter to 20s pirelli pzero winters with sticky poor rolling resistance. I believe it’s a combination of winter tires and software update which is killing the range. Im disappointed to say the least
Sponsored

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
Brand new CT 4S, so not sure if range improves after 3000km or so but did some testing to see relative difference art different temps. Mix of B road and highway. Average consumption at different temperatures roughly:

Temp. -2 deg C - ~.26kw/km
Temp -15 deg C ~. 31kw/km
Temp +5 deg C ~.23kw/km

Car with 4 passengers, normal mode and AC, 20' turboS wheels with studded michelin winter tires

Have been following the tests you refer to as they have done them for several years now, and must say there are some inconsistencies for the Taycan. Had planned for a trip last Christmas but temps dropped to -35C, and with scarce charging options for the last 200km we didn't want to risk it. Will be interesting though to see how it works in sub -25C. However with all issue reported regarding the heater lately I think that must be postponed until absolutely sure we are not affected...

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
My Taycan just over 2 weeks old. I am happy on today's motorway performance / consumption. Outside temp. 5-8 degree C.
Best 20.9kwh/100km

Porsche Taycan Range in wintertime Untitled1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
Brand new CT 4S, so not sure if range improves after 3000km or so but did some testing to see relative difference art different temps. Mix of B road and highway. Average consumption at different temperatures roughly:

Temp. -2 deg C - ~.26kw/km
Temp -15 deg C ~. 31kw/km
Temp +5 deg C ~.23kw/km

Car with 4 passengers, normal mode and AC, 20' turboS wheels with studded michelin winter tires

Have been following the tests you refer to as they have done them for several years now, and must say there are some inconsistencies for the Taycan. Had planned for a trip last Christmas but temps dropped to -35C, and with scarce charging options for the last 200km we didn't want to risk it. Will be interesting though to see how it works in sub -25C. However with all issue reported regarding the heater lately I think that must be postponed until absolutely sure we are not affected...
🥶👍

bmcho

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4S
Country flag
2023 4S cross turismo. First winter before software upgrade 370-380 km 100%, after upgrade the second winter now getting just 330-340km 100%. I did switch the second winter to 20s pirelli pzero winters with sticky poor rolling resistance. I believe it’s a combination of winter tires and software update which is killing the range. Im disappointed to say the least
Another contributing factor to low winter range I think is frequent short trips which needs to reheat the cabin each trip. Ontario winter temp here is 0C to -10C. I’m waiting to change back to my summer 21s. Was getting 400-420km last summer shortly after the software update. Hopefully will go back to 400-420km this summer!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Another contributing factor to low winter range I think is frequent short trips which needs to reheat the cabin each trip. Ontario winter temp here is 0C to -10C. I’m waiting to change back to my summer 21s. Was getting 400-420km last summer shortly after the software update. Hopefully will go back to 400-420km this summer!
I think heating the cabin takes some energy, but a very small amount in comparison to heating the battery. That seems to warm with pre heating to 12 degrees or very gradually to a similar temperature if you drive for long enough

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think heating the cabin takes some energy, but a very small amount in comparison to heating the battery. That seems to warm with pre heating to 12 degrees or very gradually to a similar temperature if you drive for long enough
Yes to heat the battery of 700 kg 15 degrees in winter, will use ca 10 kW.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Here is an another interesting consumption statistic. For reference this seems to have been done at different external temperatures so not quite comparable. Think the temperatures were between -1 C and up to nearly 30 C in some document.

Taycan scores pretty well again

Porsche Taycan Range in wintertime 1574187A-8862-49C6-8DF3-37AD3CAF7CC0

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
It depends a lot on how you measure.
In Germany, we see currently around -7°C (19°F). Range/ consumption is very good if the car is charged before (b/ battery is warm and heat-pump works well). Not so good if the battery is very cold when you start.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
My Taycan just over 2 weeks old. I am happy on today's motorway performance / consumption. Outside temp. 5-8 degree C.
Best 20.9kwh/100km

Untitled1.png
at this speed the consumption is also very low. ;)

Speed-5°10°15°
120 kmhConsumption per 100km

Only on highway
is there any statistics for this?

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Here's some data from my car in a much milder climate :)

Nonetheless with a year plus of data the winter 'losses' in respect predicted ranges is right on the money re marketing of 10-11%. Of course a ton of variables to consider when comparing like-car setups to different climate and terrains.

Interestingly despite very similar temp ranges the second winter season is seeing a slight improvement in range estimation despite comprising almost entirely short local trip distances.

Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.35 AM.png
Fantastic set of data - thanks for sharing with us.

What would also be interesting is how the predicted range compares to actual miles driven. I appreciate a huge number of variables will affect this, not least the length of journeys.

You're getting much better ranges than me overall (Taycan with PB+ & 20" wheels), especially in warmer weather in the UK where I seldom get anything over 250 miles. For me, the big drain is short trips in cold weather. I can start with it showing 200 miles, travel 10 and end up with 175 or less in very cold conditions. Of course this is mainly due to the large draw to heat the car and the battery, but it is much higher than I expected.

But we don't buy a Porsche for its economy! It's a very heavy performance car and I'm happy to drive it!

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Over the weekend I drove 330km to the centre of Sweden and back again in my Taycan Turbo CT with 20" Winter Pirellis and fitted with the optional heat pump. Used range mode most of the time, with heating on and heated seats for 3 people. A little use of cruise control, but sometimes turned it off due to weather and road conditions.

I got 25.4kWh/100km on the way there in a mixture of -1.5C to 5C in very harsh winds (we had to get out several times and clear the road of debris), plus snow & rain.

I got 26.4kWh/100km on the way back with about the same temperature but mostly good weather and sunshine, with wet to icy roads.

I think the increase was due to the increased speed I was travelling. I found it quite hard to stick to a speed which is good for range.

Quite amazed how much the heavy wind would shift the Taycan, it was literally throwing it around.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Fantastic set of data - thanks for sharing with us.

What would also be interesting is how the predicted range compares to actual miles driven. I appreciate a huge number of variables will affect this, not least the length of journeys.

You're getting much better ranges than me overall (Taycan with PB+ & 20" wheels), especially in warmer weather in the UK where I seldom get anything over 250 miles. For me, the big drain is short trips in cold weather. I can start with it showing 200 miles, travel 10 and end up with 175 or less in very cold conditions. Of course this is mainly due to the large draw to heat the car and the battery, but it is much higher than I expected.

But we don't buy a Porsche for its economy! It's a very heavy performance car and I'm happy to drive it!
Thx, no prob. - if interested also have an SoH thread too here with over 30 participating cars to date:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-on-delivery.12815/

Indeed, based where I am, I very rarely have to use the heater in my car, only sporadically for a month to max. 2 and typically in Jan-Feb.

In respect 'real 'word' consumptive numbers the best read is probably the 2.65 mile per kWh average for all miles driven to date.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Thx, no prob. - if interested also have an SoH thread too here with over 30 participating cars to date:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-on-delivery.12815/

Indeed, based where I am, I very rarely have to use the heater in my car, only sporadically for a month to max. 2 and typically in Jan-Feb.

In respect 'real 'word' consumptive numbers the best read is probably the 2.65 mile per kWh average for all miles driven to date.
More great data - thanks!
Sponsored