Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’ll let Elon know he messed up his site. Maybe I can make a pull request.
yeah I would agree - and I’m holding out for my own test drive - but I”m simply cautioning people while the exterior may be very similar or identical - this vehicle is mechanically NOT a Model S in any way shape or form - if Model S is 1.0, and Model 3 is 2.0, this is 3.0 with the old 1.0 body…

and from my mechanic’s opinion (who never liked Teslas EVER) - 3.0 is awesome.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, that's why I said my earlier comment would be off! I was expecting it to be similar to the previous gen, just faster and with a new interior.
yeah - I was expecting the same thing - and so was my Owner/Mechanic/racer friend/vendor - but he’s blow away by the Plaid - and he was never impressed with the S beyond it’s 0-60 number - nothing else worked for him.

we’ll need more data - I’m simply cautioning people not to assume plaid is just a faster S - it does appear it’s a substantial mechanical overhaul - with some lessons learned. Time will Tell - but this particular individual telling me how good plaid was for his test drive blew my mind - he’s never said anything good about Tesla in the past 7 years and really really dislikes them

his quote: it’s changed my world view on EV’s and Tesla - and how quickly they’ve iterated is impressive.

bottom line: this is not a Model S that we all know love/hate…it’s a new product with an old skin.

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
btw: every one here welcome to still not like the styling or tesla or elon - but I’m just requesting we don’t go in on this based on our previous opinions/experiences with the previous Model S product - it’s apparent to me mechanically the new Model S is mechanically different and the 3 motor drive train is a game changer - so previously accurate Model S assessments probably no longer apply … so while it may look like a Model S - it really only looks like an S

a software controled dual motor rear end is a game changer for grip, handling, power delivery, torque vectoring, etc…

hold your judgement until we have more data

I was deeply suprised to hear good things from this one individual - he’s never been a fan of Tesla…and he is frankly impressed.

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and here we have a 2nd data point - different reviewer - game changin - upgrades across the board.

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 5F9B83F4-FFF8-4D03-B49A-31900C03C510

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think we can say with confidence - Porsche will not get away with their standard 7 year refresh cycle - the Taycan is going to look very very long in the tooth in 2023…vs. changes coming fast and frurious down the pike…

I love me some competition - it makes it better for all of us…more choice is good. And this will push BMW, porsche and Mecedes and others - the Plaid is going to be a factor - not just a souped up Model S…

I’m still happy with my Taycan for one the exterior styling is superior and drive train is excellent - so I can wait for things to evolve - I don’t need to chase the latest - but let’s not dismiss the Plaid - it appears to be an accomplishment and will set standards and has caught up to some standards the Model S failed at.

I look forward to more data as more people get to give us their thoughts based on actual experience.

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I think we can say with confidence - Porsche will not get away with their standard 7 year refresh cycle - the Taycan is going to look very very long in the tooth in 2023…vs. changes coming fast and frurious down the pike…

I love me some competition - it makes it better for all of us…more choice is good. And this will push BMW, porsche and Mecedes and others - the Plaid is going to be a factor - not just a souped up Model S…

I’m still happy with my Taycan for one the exterior styling is superior and drive train is excellent - so I can wait for things to evolve - I don’t need to chase the latest - but let’s not dismiss the Plaid - it appears to be an accomplishment and will set standards and has caught up to some standards the Model S failed at.

I look forward to more data as more people get to give us their thoughts based on actual experience.
Now you got me second guessing my Taycan. ?
Ive never had a Porsche so first one is a CT, bought 3 Teslas before.

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag

Honestly though, is it as fun as they say? Im used to seeing a Tesla on every street where I am (San Diego) so a new look would be fun. Opted for 4S with some nice options and hope to keep me happy for some time!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
plaid doesn’t change how excellent Taycan is - just means we can’t laugh and point quite as much at others ?

plaid owners it would appear will have quite a car also.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's exactly why I leased my Taycan so I can move on if there is a better EV on the market in 2023 for the same money (maybe Plaid) or a cheaper one that offers similar performance and handling as the Taycan for less coing (maybe BMW i4 m50 or e-tron gt). If Taycan i still the best I can always lease again a CT.
I hope many upgrades (suspension, handing, interior quality) in the Plaid to find their way into the regular Model S.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Because software is hard, and there's a lot of brand new software on a Taycan.
I know that... but the question is, why it doesn't harm all vehicles, only (according to next thread) 0,5% of them in the States? What about other countries?
When something goes wrong (with a software that worked OK), we are usually asking: what has been changed that might caused a failure? And, what's the difference between other "workstations" without problems?
Maybe because of some different or failed (hardware) parts? Of course, at the end of the day, software reports "error" on the screen, so we usually blame it...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
plaid doesn’t change how excellent Taycan is - just means we can’t laugh and point quite as much at others ?

plaid owners it would appear will have quite a car also.
But it means that early adopters (of Taycan) will lost a bunch of money :eek:

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I HAVE HAD TWO TESLAS - THE WORST BUILT CARS IVE EVER HAD.........AND VERY UNRELIABLE. NEVER AGAIN....NEVER!

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I will be very surprised if Tesla out of the blue puts out a car that has better handling steering better everything than any other production car incl. Porsche. It still sounds to me like some random Tesla PR/Elon Twitter promo. But I am open for surprises. And hopefully if true, it pushes Porsche to deliver more and better.
Sponsored