Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I HAVE HAD TWO TESLAS - THE WORST BUILT CARS IVE EVER HAD.........AND VERY UNRELIABLE. NEVER AGAIN....NEVER!
Exactly! Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
„Handles better than Porsche“ is just throwing me off. In general though, even if the car is as advertised, why support a company that has been lying to its customers for a decade now, taking money for cars that won’t come out for years, randomly just remove extras of cars, send updates to cars to downgrade their charging and/or battery, and the list goes on. You could care less and just get the car if it’s great but I do not understand how the majority of people just swallow anything that is thrown their way. Elon cancels the Plaid+ by saying „there’s no need“. That is just in plain words shitting on his customers. Instead of telling the truth that the new batteries needed for it are simply nowhere near production level. Basically any big company like Tesla Porsche VW etc. lie and deceive but my goodness Tesla and Elon are doing so much in front of everybodies eyes and it just goes under the carpet, because thanks to Tesla the world is a better place.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Let us wait and see the reviews from the press, once the Plaid car is delivered.

@daveo4EV , that were a few surprisingly good comments from an experienced track driver. Interesting to follow, but will not influence my choice. But it will certainly raise the bar for other EV’s to be launched. Only good things can come from such competition.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Let us wait and see the reviews from the press, once the Plaid car is delivered.

@daveo4EV , that were a few surprisingly good comments from an experienced track driver. Interesting to follow, but will not influence my choice. But it will certainly raise the bar for other EV’s to be launched. Only good things can come from such competition.
That is my hope. Porsche and the usual German suspects are very strategic with the cars they put out. Each Taycan model could easily run 100hp more without any risk. They just like to reserve some space for future models and/or don’t like to kill off their petrol cars. No facts btw. this is just my it feels like to me. Tesla on the other hand puts out the best they can do, and as soon as there’s an update for performance they just push it out or at least sell it for a couple Ks. some cars like the model 3 take it well, some like the model s overheat after just 3 launches. At least the customers get what the car can do. Hopefully this pushes Porsche to give us some exciting updates.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
Originally I was going to wait for the Plaid+ version of the MS. Then I started reading reviews about the Taycan. A test drive later and BAM! I own a Taycan. I have contemplated buying a Tesla on a few occasions over the last 4-5 years, but something just doesn’t sit well with me. It is most likely a combination of Musk, crappy QC, less than luxurious interiors. Then there is the over exaggerated range claims and missed deadlines. I prefer Porsche’s under promise and over deliver approach.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Exterior just doesn’t do it for me, looks like a nice sedan. Nothing more. And the more aftermarket added to it the more it looks like a teenager’s car. Just my opinion if fanboy nation is lurking remember it’s just an opinion

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I would consider a Tesla. When it learns how to go around corners and has a quality feel. Oh wait, I already have one of those. It's called a Taycan.
Ditto. Tesla sold - not looking back.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2021/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

Even more impressive and true to Tesla's word, the Plaid is capable of posting those times consistently, never varying by more than a fraction of a second or so each time we rocketed down the strip. We've never tested a car so robotic in its consistency.
The biggest differentiators we found between quicker and slower runs were mostly environmental, like rolling over a tar snake at the wrong time or, as the day dragged on, the hot afternoon sun making it slightly more challenging for the Plaid to keep its batteries and motors at their ideal temperatures. The brakes were the car's sole wart, overheating after our last run of the day.
Ironically, the breathtaking straight-line achievements distract from another monumental achievement: The Model S Plaid is quite simply the best Tesla yet. It doesn't matter if you're cruising down the highway, slogging through city traffic, or slicing down your favorite back road. The Model S Plaid delivers, no matter what you ask it to do.
On the highway and around town, the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid is comfortable, quiet, and a delightful place to pass the miles. Thanks to its air suspension and adaptive dampers, the ride is supple and well controlled over all but the most brutal of impacts.
the Model S Plaid demonstrates Tesla learned a lot since its flagship car first hit the road. Although maybe not as pin-drop precise as is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S on the same road, the Model S Plaid is Tesla's most compelling performance car yet.
perhaps the most important takeaway is that the Model S Plaid is absolutely among the best cars on the market today.
I think we’re gathering enough data that the Model S Plaid is NOT the Model S - cabin noise, build quality and handeling are greating improved, and the vehicle has some stamina - and is blindingly quick.

I still love my Taycan - but it’s becoming clear to me that the Plaid is an upgrade from previous Tesla “truths” - and the only aspect not improved is the external design/look. However as others have noted you’re still doing business with Tesla - which is something you can think about while your Taycan is in the shop for several weeks waiting for it’s OTA software updates.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Ugs, fanboy alert! :CWL:
warning Tesla hater fact immune alert who can’t acknowledge any factual Tesla good points cause of blind rage.

I’m an equal opportunity fan boy - I can love my Taycan and still acknowledge Tesla making progress in the automotive world - and at the moment Porsche has no competitive offering in Plaid’s league - the trend will be towards 3 and 4 motor EV’s with software control of the independent motors - what will happen to performance because of this will be mind blowing and the death kneel of ICE performance vehicles - the Plaid _IS_ the future and kudos for Tesla getting there first, we all just need to now wait 5-7 years for every one else to catch up.

but you no longer as a Taycan owener get to laugh at point at a Tesla Model S plaid owner - it appears to have addressed a lot of long standing negative talking points…
  • OTA Updates - check vs. porsche’s weeks long loaner dealer based software update model for OTA updates (LOL)
  • world class vehicle software - check
  • repeatable performance - check
  • reliable & functional fast charging network - check
  • plug & charge support - check
  • good/excellent ride quality - check
  • good/excellent handling- check
  • build quality - much much improved maybe sufficient - need more data
  • cabin noise quiet - check
  • build materials - improved
  • performance - best in class
  • brakes - still suck
  • styling - un-updated - you either like it or you don’t
  • still doing business with a mad man - check
  • has a service network that understand’s EV’s - check
  • residential chargers that don’t overheat - check
  • mobile charger that is actually mobile - check
  • range numbers - TBD
  • reliable truths told frequently - unlikely
to ignore the Plaid is just head burying in the sand and willful ignorance.

Last edited:

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I for one appreciate both sides of the coin.

In addition I appreciate this forums generally high standard of input without drama.

My only addition to this thread is that the new S seems to me like a nice package with good performance. Still would never change my Taycan for it.

Cheers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My concern is how many members of the general public have the driving ability to control a car that does 0-60 in under 2 seconds (and Taycans Turbo/S are close)?

And soon the more mainstream EV models will be offering Ferrari like performance for everyday saloon money.

Add to the mix that all cars from May next year in the EU/UK must be fitted with a 'black box' which will constantly monitor speed / record speed /adjust speed and warn drivers who exceed the speed limit (Google ISA).

A few accidents involving high power EVs and I can see the regulators limiting them.

I am surprised road safety campaigners aren't already jumping all over Tesla for all the shouting about how fast the Plaid is.

Last edited:

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
What I didn’t realize was my Lexus could beat the Model S plaid in a 0-60 race:giggle:….while the Tesla takes 10 seconds to get into Cheetah stance ??‍♂ (after 15 minutes of pre conditioning). http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2021/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

Even with the necessary safety gear, the Plaid isn't suited for bracket racing when using launch control. Without a friendly dragstrip Christmas tree operator, you're likely to still be standing at the staging line when the lights turn green: Remember, the car needs nearly 10 seconds just to get into its cheetah stance.

People should buy the Model S Plaid for what it is, a greatly improved Model S rather than the 0-60 in 1.98s which is a slapped on gimmick best utilized for YouTube videos.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Seems very impressive. I'm still skeptical after my Tesla experience, but I might consider one in the future. The main reason I wouldn't buy one as currently spec'ed is the silly yoke steering wheel and lack of luxury features that I prefer.

They were 6 months late launching Plaid, and based on Tesla's history with quality I wouldn't jump on one right away. Give it 6-12 months and see how new vehicles are coming off the line and how things are holding up with the first vehicles delivered.

As a side note I'm worried we are reaching a stupid level of horsepower for the average driver. My Turbo S is absurdly fast and has caught me off guard several times. I've owned many fast cars in the past and have many hours on the track, but this is another level. I can't imagine giving someone 1000+ hp in a family sedan with marginal brakes and expecting them to keep it on the road.

I fear regulation might start limiting horsepower in the future. Already most drag strips require roll cages and additional safety equipment for cars that run under a 10 second 1/4 mile. That's because these cars hit 150+ mph at the end of the strip. How many Plaid drivers are going to hit 150mph at the end of an onramp showing off to friends, not even realizing they are going that fast.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was trying to work through all the sound and fury on this thread. Could be wrong, but the Plaid comparison is really with the Turbo S including pricing and not the 4S which is what most people have and which is more comparable to the Model S long range. So I have decided I am quite happy with where I currently sit.

But Porsche will need to up its game.
Sponsored