Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The cable is going to feel warm, because there's a lot of juice going through it. It just shouldn't be getting too hot to touch. Even the charge cord is going to feel warm after 8hrs of 10A+ going through it.
More like 40 amps, I’ve seen the charger hit 41. Agree, even Porsche cable is warm.
Sponsored

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good to know. Mine is charging at 40 amps and the Porsche cable (the one plugging into the car) was definitely warm to the touch. Not hot, but definitely warm. I was just about to ask if that's normal so glad to hear others are experiencing the same thing.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Good to know. Mine is charging at 40 amps and the Porsche cable (the one plugging into the car) was definitely warm to the touch. Not hot, but definitely warm. I was just about to ask if that's normal so glad to hear others are experiencing the same thing.
Warm is OK. The threshold of pain for most people is ~125 F (~50 C) but that is cool for electrical and electronic equipment. Too hot to touch is a concern. Charging a car is continuous use of a circuit and, in the USA, should not be more than 80% of the circuit amp rating:
  • Use 50 Amp circuit at 40 Amps maximum
  • Use 30 Amp circuit at 24 Amps maximum
  • Use 20 Amp circuit at 16 Amps maximum
  • Use 15 Amp circuit at 12 Amps maximum

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm very interested in seeing what the kilowatt rate is on the charger and the one in the car to see how much lost there is between the two. But be sure that the lights and HVAC are off in the car so no other large draw items. The reason I am a little concerned is the wire for the 25 foot cord did not look too large from the pictures I have seen. I bought a Chinese charger that would do 32 amps and it's cord is very beefy.
Test at 30 amps from a dryer 220 circuit
I tried it again and here is what I got, can someone in the US, post what their results with a 50 amp circuit, would like to know what to expect, thanks

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_1199

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_1201

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's great @Cpoarchy
7.17kw x 100 / 30A = 239 Volts which is perfect as expected for non-commercial which is often only 208v.

So a 50A circuit would give the max of 40A x 239V = 9.56kW. so basically 33% faster. But it's always good to get it the info from a actual owner which sadly I am not yet. You can look on plugshare and see if you can find an available nema 1450 in your area for testing, I had found one in Santa Clara that I used to test my charger when I first bought it at full power.

Btw you should check your circuit breaker for that dryer plug outlet and if it is only a 30 amp circuit breaker you should not be trying to draw 30 amps as the car draws it to continuously. If you are monitoring it and it will be less than a couple hours it's probably not an issue but I would not set it higher than 80% (24A) if you are leaving it unattended.

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@dryii love this data. That charging rate was absolutely consistent to get that number of kilowatt hours in the 4 hours and 28 minutes.

Next time you do a long charge like that I would love to know the starting percentage and ending percentage along with those stats on the charger for duration and kilowatt hours so I can predict usable battery with the latest software. Unless you happen to know the stats for starting SoC on what you posted above?

Thx so much.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I plugged in at ~19%.
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_20200618_160303
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_20200618_155958

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well that computes out a bit high from even what I was expecting which was 90 to 91 kWh.

To explain what I did was use the in car kilowatt charging rate from your previous post and the charger kilowatt rate from your previous post to determine the charging efficiency which is really quite good at 91.4%.

then using that efficiency along with the delivered kilowatt hours for this cycle / 100% - 19% to derive the theoretical full usable battery which is 92.5 kilowatt hours. So they seem to have reduced the reservation significantly which is similar to the Tesla philosophy. I definitely think you will want to set a charging profile to 80% or 85% and as long as you don't fiddle with it after the charge begins you should not have the problem that Don @louv speaks of. I would only take the car to 100% if you're going on a trip and leaving shortly after it gets to 100%.

May I ask how quickly you collected those photos after it reached 100%, if it was several hours then maybe the car did some conditioning afterwards that would explain more charger usage.

AC Charging efficiency:
8.77÷9.59 = 91.4%

Usable projection:
8.77÷9.59×81.9÷(1−.19) = 92.5kWh

Time if full speed charging
81.9kWh / 9.59kW = 8.5hr
Charging time was 9.3hr so basically had to only slow down for a little while. I am just too excited to get my car. :cool:

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have a Taycan ordered yet but plan to order a MY2021. Has anyone mounted the charger to a wall without the Porsche wall mount? Pictures? Thanks.

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Warm is OK. The threshold of pain for most people is ~125 F (~50 C) but that is cool for electrical and electronic equipment. Too hot to touch is a concern. Charging a car is continuous use of a circuit and, in the USA, should not be more than 80% of the circuit amp rating:
  • Use 50 Amp circuit at 40 Amps maximum
  • Use 30 Amp circuit at 24 Amps maximum
  • Use 20 Amp circuit at 16 Amps maximum
  • Use 15 Amp circuit at 12 Amps maximum
I did a slightly longer charge than normal (for me) - about 4 hours and the cable from the charger to the car was definitely warm, but the plugged-in cable from the NEMA 14-50 receptacle to the charger was much warmer even a little hot to the touch. I do have 50 amp circuit, but just want to know if others have similar experience with the plugged-in cable being much warmer to the touch than the charging cable to the car.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I did a slightly longer charge than normal (for me) - about 4 hours and the cable from the charger to the car was definitely warm, but the plugged-in cable from the NEMA 14-50 receptacle to the charger was much warmer even a little hot to the touch. I do have 50 amp circuit, but just want to know if others have similar experience with the plugged-in cable being much warmer to the touch than the charging cable to the car.
No personal experience with the Porsche cable (yet), but it may be a smaller gauge, and hotter, since it is so short. Wire resistance causes heat with current flow. Every 3 gauges smaller halves the wire resistance and halves the heat (power loss). The Porsche inlet power cable appears to have thinner insulation than the heavier cable to the car, causing it to be hotter (less mass to heat).

In the US, normal wire gauges are (local codes vary):
  • Use 6- or 8-gauge wire with 50 Amp circuit at 40 Amps maximum continuous
  • Use 8-gauge wire with 40 Amp circuit at 32 Amps maximum continuous
  • Use 10-gauge wire with 30 Amp circuit at 24 Amps maximum continuous
  • Use 12-gauge wire with 20 Amp circuit at 16 Amps maximum continuous
  • Use 14-gauge wire with 15 Amp circuit at 12 Amps maximum continuous
US code allows a larger (smaller gauge) wire than normal to be used to reduce losses or heat (think of long runs to outside air conditioners or industrial extension cords), but permanent wiring (e.g. inside the walls of your home) must be the larger wire, if used, for the entire circuit to the breaker. Have used 10-gauge water heater circuits for home theater installations for years.

Bottom line, larger wire is cooler, safer and more efficient. As we have seen, electric car fires are not pretty and very dangerous.
Sponsored