Software update decreasing range of 4S and making the car think it is RWD with smaller battery

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 718, Audi 8, Audi A5
Country flag
Why started a new thread?
We already discussed all of your issues.
Apologies if that was the case

People post in the forum to look for feedback and advice from fellow owners as well as highlight issues
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, unfortunately it has not. I checked again following your reply
AWD display has been replaced with an animated display on the central display (main PCM screen if not clear) under Vehicle then Trip. I posted a picture above. When the car is moving the picture animates and you will see drive going to each axle depending on speed, load etc - blue in colour. When recuperating the colour changes to green.

Note that uPdate has completely changed the drive behaviour for efficiency purposes and so drive is predominately from the rear axle - even in Range Drive mode.

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
AWD display has been replaced with an animated display on the central display (main PCM screen if not clear) under Vehicle then Trip. I posted a picture above. When the car is moving the picture animates and you will see drive going to each axle depending on speed, load etc - blue in colour. When recuperating the colour changes to green.

Note that uPdate has completely changed the drive behaviour for efficiency purposes and so drive is predominately from the rear axle - even in Range Drive mode.
thanks again
The central display animated depiction of the drive system and where power goes is not new it has been in the car since I took delivery in December 2020. That’s why I may have misunderstood your comment, thinking that they have move the depiction of All wheel drive from the instrument cluster to somewhere else.

while the central display animation works and I accept that manufacturers may move items around and we have to adapt my worry comes from the fact that the items available for the instrument cluster represent hardware or software options bought by the customer and I don’t want to loose functionality for what I have paid for.

it dies not appear that owners are reporting decreased options in the instrument cluster after this major software update, therefore it is fair to assume that this problem is limited to my car and is caused by incorrect software update and configuration

the problem we have as customers is we do not know if this software update carried by Porsche is fully fool proof or prone to errors from incorrect input of options.

one such case would be the service personnel ensuring they do not enable or disable software options purchased by tue customer, which in turn must mean they can select options and there may be room for errors.

anyway, it is great to hear from fellow owners and thanks again

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Thanks, I am sure you could be right, but this is really very different from previous updates experience and does not explain other issues such as the issue with the instrument cluster

I will update this if and when the dealer do the software update again
Understood - was just sharing what I have documented elsewhere re impact of the uPdate which was real and well constrained with my data for my car and similar to some others here - just something to bet in mind but was not a comment on the other issues you are having which I have not experienced nor an offered solution for them.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
the problem we have as customers is we do not know if this software update carried by Porsche is fully fool proof or prone to errors from incorrect input of options.

one such case would be the service personnel ensuring they do not enable or disable software options purchased by tue customer, which in turn must mean they can select options and there may be room for errors.

LOL, you'd better never own a Tesla. In Dec 2020 they completely re-did the UI in order to gain more screen real estate for the FSD visualization. And boy, people are still complaining about the Map being made smaller, the font being harder to read, impossible to read power flow meter, etc.

it dies not appear that owners are reporting decreased options in the instrument cluster after this major software update, therefore it is fair to assume that this problem is limited to my car and is caused by incorrect software update and configuration
Aside from the removal of the AWD distribution, what else have you reported being "decreased"? It seems to me that the other owners are reporting that this is consistent across their cars. Hell, I've seen it on YouTube.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
For reference it took three weeks with three separate at home charging sessions to 85% each time for my car to 'recover' to my pre-uPdate max. predicted ranges.

I have not seen any increase at all in overall range post-uPdate but also not terribly surprised by this. And before anyone jumps on it, variables such as temp, road trip length, driving style, elevations, and all else near identical pre and post uPdate.
After 10 weeks, i’m not getting more than 375km (at 100%).
Since my consumption is still between 19-21kwh/100km, i’m think that new version of software simply has (just another) bug…

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Apologies if that was the case

People post in the forum to look for feedback and advice from fellow owners as well as highlight issues
No need to apologize…imo, it’s better to search before post…that’s how everything is under the same/similar topic…otherwise, we csn just copy/paste (our) comments all over threads…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
thanks again
The central display animated depiction of the drive system and where power goes is not new it has been in the car since I took delivery in December 2020. That’s why I may have misunderstood your comment, thinking that they have move the depiction of All wheel drive from the instrument cluster to somewhere else.

while the central display animation works and I accept that manufacturers may move items around and we have to adapt my worry comes from the fact that the items available for the instrument cluster represent hardware or software options bought by the customer and I don’t want to loose functionality for what I have paid for.

I don't think you have a software issue per se.

Mileage reported on the battery display is definitely less but in my case much of the 'missing' 30% of range has restored itself - I put this down the MY21 cars having more software updates and a relearning exercise (same for the brakes and recuperation). Overall my consumption remained the same which point to software algorithms doing something different in the background.

Re the AWD display and Trip animation - was that always animated (I think not) otherwise Porsche wouldn't have stated its relocation to the central display - but who knows!?

The vehicle VIN determines what option the car has and so should not be left to the service folk guess work.

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think you have a software issue per se.

Mileage reported on the battery display is definitely less but in my case much of the 'missing' 30% of range has restored itself - I put this down the MY21 cars having more software updates and a relearning exercise (same for the brakes and recuperation). Overall my consumption remained the same which point to software algorithms doing something different in the background.

Re the AWD display and Trip animation - was that always animated (I think not) otherwise Porsche wouldn't have stated its relocation to the central display - but who knows!?

The vehicle VIN determines what option the car has and so should not be left to the service folk guess work.
Thanks again. It will interesting to report after I get the car from the dealer (not yet with them)

regards

Reactions: B61

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
For reference it took three weeks with three separate at home charging sessions to 85% each time for my car to 'recover' to my pre-uPdate max. predicted ranges.

I have not seen any increase at all in overall range post-uPdate but also not terribly surprised by this. And before anyone jumps on it, variables such as temp, road trip length, driving style, elevations, and all else near identical pre and post uPdate.
Instead of looking at the GOM, how is your consumption in mi/kWh or kWh/100 km? Have you any way of che king this before and after the uPdate? Maybe manually?

In a different post here I showed that after the update with a 16 % increase in average speed, I still got. 3 to 4% lower consumption. And the distance was about 5000 miles, the roads driven roughly the same at very similar temperature. So it looks like there is a lot of different experience after the uPdate? Might be different depending on MY and version of the Taycan??

But I am pleased to get this improvement! 😀😀

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Car - Trip - animated display:

1667314571600.png
@DMTaycan can you send a photo of that screen in your car? This is the replacement screen for the AWD in the left 'tube' in the instrument cluster. If you can see a front motor there for your car, there is no issue. There's no other AWD indication in the car anymore.

As for range estimates, this is a result of the car sitting idle at a long time at the dealership during the update, significantly increasing the energy usage 'per mile'. It takes over a few hundred miles of driving (think 2-3 significant charges) for this to get back to being just about your recent driving style.

It is of course possible that the update was only applied partially (it updates lots of modules separately), but what you've described here sounds completely normal to me, and seeing it as a problem is a misunderstanding more than anything else.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Instead of looking at the GOM, how is your consumption in mi/kWh or kWh/100 km? Have you any way of che king this before and after the uPdate? Maybe manually?

In a different post here I showed that after the update with a 16 % increase in average speed, I still got. 3 to 4% lower consumption. And the distance was about 5000 miles, the roads driven roughly the same at very similar temperature. So it looks like there is a lot of different experience after the uPdate? Might be different depending on MY and version of the Taycan??

Pre uPdate typical 2.3-2.7 max 2.9 mi/kWh - post update (ca one month) 2.1-2.5 mi/kWh max 2.5.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Pre uPdate typical 2.3-2.7 max 2.9 mi/kWh - post update (ca one month) 2.1-2.5 mi/kWh max 2.5.
I see no change post update. I still get about 3.1 miles / kwh when driving on the highway with my RWD. Speeds here run around 70 to 75 mph.

Reactions: B61

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OK - in respect kWh/mi as the MyPorsche and App report, here are some ways I can plot the basic trip data for the history of my car - again I don't see any change whatsoever after the update in respect range benefits/improvement and again, not a big deal for me.

What is perhaps interesting (although not exactly a new observation!!) is that despite some very cold to freezing weather in the 1st qtr. of 2022 in Houston (not sustained for very long), weather has little to no impact in this part of the world other than almost being a constant in respect battery performance impact (relative to the impact of sustained cold winters further north/elsehwere). My trip efficiency data rather emphasize driving dynamics (speed, tires, A/C, driving style etc) with a slightly lesser impact in respect time/distance.

Porsche Taycan Software update decreasing range of 4S and making the car think it is RWD with smaller battery Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 8.04.59 AM

Porsche Taycan Software update decreasing range of 4S and making the car think it is RWD with smaller battery Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 8.10.58 AM

Last edited: