Software update decreasing range of 4S and making the car think it is RWD with smaller battery

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
OK - in respect kWh/mi as the MyPorsche and App report, here are some ways I can plot the basic trip data for the history of my car - again I don't see any change whatsoever after the update in respect range benefits/improvement and again, not a big deal for me.
Wow, you have a lot of detailed data there. No evidence of any improvement as you say.

But I must say I am jealous of your predicted range. Most likely as you state you have a mild climate. I have only got a range of some 370 km (230 miles)! An§d i also can not see as large difference between Normal and Range mode. Thus I never use range mode at all. It irritates me with that limit at 140 km/h. Our motorway legal speed is 130.
Sponsored

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
on the RWD part - our CT4 is always RWD biased.. the same with our Cayenne.. it brings in the front when its needed. That is actually what i want for the performance and how the car feels.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Wow, you have a lot of detailed data there. No evidence of any improvement as you say.

But I must say I am jealous of your predicted range. Most likely as you state you have a mild climate. I have only got a range of some 370 km (230 miles)! An§d i also can not see as large difference between Normal and Range mode. Thus I never use range mode at all. It irritates me with that limit at 140 km/h. Our motorway legal speed is 130.
Agree - I should have stated that whilst climate is not impacting my averages through the year in any meaningful way, clearly the overall tropical heat allows for overall higher ranges even with 21" wheels!

I too have yet to drive anywhere in Range - normal is my normal :) - but included it in the graphs nonetheless.

BTW all this data is available on your app/MyPorsche site and can copy paste into a spreadsheet - stating the obvious!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
on the RWD part - our CT4 is always RWD biased.. the same with our Cayenne.. it brings in the front when its needed. That is actually what i want for the performance and how the car feels.
Before uPdate the Taycan
Agree - I should have stated that whilst climate is not impacting my averages through the year in any meaningful way, clearly the overall tropical heat allows for overall higher ranges even with 21" wheels!

I too have yet to drive anywhere in Range - normal is my normal :) - but included it in the graphs nonetheless.

BTW all this data is available on your app/MyPorsche site and can copy paste into a spreadsheet - stating the obvious!
Not everyone has a PMC+ / PMCC or their EVSE connected to the cloud plus many charge at public locations which these stats won't have captured.

Post uPdate, Range Drive mode is almost redundant as the primary drive motor is now the rear and not the front as it was previously. Saving in miles is marginal. More energy saved switching AC to ECO (or ECO Plus) than selecting Range drive mode.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Before uPdate the Taycan

Not everyone has a PMC+ / PMCC or their EVSE connected to the cloud plus many charge at public locations which these stats won't have captured.

Post uPdate, Range Drive mode is almost redundant as the primary drive motor is now the rear and not the front as it was previously. Saving in miles is marginal. More energy saved switching AC to ECO (or ECO Plus) than selecting Range drive mode.
The first three graphs are all derived from your "Trip" data that everyone has access to on their MyPorshce app or MyPorsche web site.

The point of my post was to illustrate that there is on a longer time length scale essentially zero change in my car between Normal/Range predictions pre and post uPdate regardless of whatever changes were made. Obviously I noticed a drop immediately post uPdate but that recovered in a couple of weeks.

The SoH and charging data in the last graph was obviously aimed at those you have access to that data and simply addl. info for those interested. Other than DC charging reported also on the App, all other data is simply me taking a pic for a record after every charge - so if of interest, anyone can do the same regardless of where or how they charge.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The first three graphs are all derived from your "Trip" data that everyone has access to on their MyPorshce app or MyPorsche web site.

The point of my post was to illustrate that there is on a longer time length scale essentially zero change in my car between Normal/Range predictions pre and post uPdate regardless of whatever changes were made. Obviously I noticed a drop immediately post uPdate but that recovered in a couple of weeks.

The SoH and charging data in the last graph was obviously aimed at those you have access to that data and simply addl. info for those interested. Other than DC charging reported also on the App, all other data is simply me taking a pic for a record after every charge - so if of interest, anyone can do the same regardless of where or how they charge.
I can confirm that post-uPdate there is very little efficiency difference between Range and Normal. Furthermore, my total range (guess-o-meter-predicted as well as measured) never fully recovered to its pre-uPdate state, even taking exterior temperature fluctuations into account. It is not a big loss, though, as I estimate it at around 5-7%. Come to think of it, the maximum range in Normal mode did not go down (or up) but the maximum range in Range mode suffered. Maybe the old approach to Range mode is more efficient for my light-footed driving style?

Reactions: B61

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can confirm that post-uPdate there is very little efficiency difference between Range and Normal. Furthermore, my total range (guess-o-meter-predicted as well as measured) never fully recovered to its pre-uPdate state, even taking exterior temperature fluctuations into account. It is not a big loss, though, as I estimate it at around 5-7%. Come to think of it, the maximum range in Normal mode did not go down (or up) but the maximum range in Range mode suffered. Maybe the old approach to Range mode is more efficient for my light-footed driving style?
As you can see from my data the range and normal mode predictions have remained steady once the drop post uPdate recovered - different models may be reacting differently but again my range mode predictions are right back where they were pre-uPdate with no drop like you’re seeing which is interesting.

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 718, Audi 8, Audi A5
Country flag
Update from DMTaycan

my car has had the software update done again and if anything the indicated range has decreased slightly further. It now indicate 211 miles on 100% charge. My Porsche dealer is keeping the car and looking for further help from Porsche UK and Germany. They accept there is an issue, but not entirely sure what it is. They have already tried various way to reset the mileage calculation and they claim that my plus battery does not show any degradation.

I will update you further in due course.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Update from DMTaycan

my car has had the software update done again and if anything the indicated range has decreased slightly further. It now indicate 211 miles on 100% charge. My Porsche dealer is keeping the car and looking for further help from Porsche UK and Germany. They accept there is an issue, but not entirely sure what it is. They have already tried various way to reset the mileage calculation and they claim that my plus battery does not show any degradation.

I will update you further in due course.
I think you may be chasing your tail here and putting too much faith in what this range figure represents.

If you ignore the estimated range at 100% what are your typical trip consumption figures?

How new is your car?

Appreciate the anxiety here but if your consumption is low then you may well find that your true mileage is much higher than the estimate.

After uPdate my range was 189 miles at 85% but now 6 weeks on I'm seeing 208 miles reported which is pretty close to what it should be. The software has recalibrated on its own. I had flagged to my dealer but they showed little interest in checking it out and to be honest I'm fed up going there!

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you may be chasing your tail here and putting too much faith in what this range figure represents.

If you ignore the estimated range at 100% what are your typical trip consumption figures?

How new is your car?

Appreciate the anxiety here but if your consumption is low then you may well find that your true mileage is much higher than the estimate.

After uPdate my range was 189 miles at 85% but now 6 weeks on I'm seeing 208 miles reported which is pretty close to what it should be. The software has recalibrated on its own. I had flagged to my dealer but they showed little interest in checking it out and to be honest I'm fed up going there!
l have already mentioned that I have owned this car for 2 years and done 28000 miles in all weather conditions? The battery apparently has no degradation. This situation never happened with previous updates carried by tue dealer and the drop is about 50 miles in indicated range

I appreciate your comments, but it is still important to see if there is a way to get it back to a reliable range predictions especially while doing long trips.

Consumption figures can be useful, but the indicated range figures are really important on these long drives.

you maybe right, I may eventually give up, but let us see

thanks

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
l have already mentioned that I have owned this car for 2 years and done 28000 miles in all weather conditions? The battery apparently has no degradation. This situation never happened with previous updates carried by tue dealer and the drop is about 50 miles in indicated range

I appreciate your comments, but it is still important to see if there is a way to get it back to a reliable range predictions especially while doing long trips.

Consumption figures can be useful, but the indicated range figures are really important on these long drives.

you maybe right, I may eventually give up, but let us see

thanks

If you look at the last chart in my post above (link here: #30 ) it again took almost 3 weeks of the car 'recalibrating' itself before the predicted ranges for my car came back to where they were pre-uPdate (and no increase observed as yet).

Suspect you may need to bite the bullet and wait this out for at least 3-4 weeks depending on driving frequency and if at that point there is zero change there could well be something else as an issue.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Anyone got some official explanation from Porsche about range decrease after uPdate?

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
I have the exact same issue. Decreased range and, looking at my trip computer, significantly higher consumption after the update. Pre-update 30.5kWh/100mi vs 38.8 kWh/100 mi. after update. My car has the 93kWh battery...wondering if this is a common thread.
Sounds like re-installing the update did not change things.

OP
OP
DMTaycan

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the exact same issue. Decreased range and, looking at my trip computer, significantly higher consumption after the update. Pre-update 30.5kWh/100mi vs 38.8 kWh/100 mi. after update. My car has the 93kWh battery...wondering if this is a common thread.
Sounds like re-installing the update did not change things.
I got my car back today and while the re installation of the update made no difference, in fact it decreased the range further, the advice from Germany was to run the battery very low down to about 3% and then run few tests then charging it again to 100%. They suggested that this may need to be done twice. The indicated range now has climbed up to 235 miles from a pre update of 260 (and a post update of 186). The consumption has also recovered now to 30.5 kWh/100 miles.

I am awaiting the analysis report about the health of the battery from Germany and I will watch the change in the car’s behaviour.

As I mentioned earlier, Porsche seem to be taking this seriously, perhaps more than a lot of the owners who believe it is a matter or recalibration. As this forum and other forums / platform report that this issue of decreased indicated range seem to affect a not too small proportion of owners, I still think it is worthwhile reporting this to Porsche. One easy way is to use the Porsche App. The more owners report this issue, the more likely they are going to allocate time and effort to rectify the issue whether it is re calibration or not

regards

kendoc

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 ct
Country flag
DMTaycan thanks for the advice about running the battery down to 3%. Will give that a try
Sponsored