mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
So does the wheel automatically move up and down when you exit, enter the vehicle? That is controlled by the PCM I presume, which obviously is not missing.

What you described is better for the retrofit, worse for having to drive to the dealer every time you want to adjust the steering wheel for an undetermined amount of time. If this was Tesla, they would have mobilized a tiger team of engineers to quickly code up a new screen for the PCM to adjust the steering wheel via software. If you could adjust the steering wheel from the computer screen, that is less convenient, but makes the feature mostly functional until the driver module arrives.

PS> I wish Porsche would make technical information available to customers. I bet you folks could make a temporary controller with a cheap raspberry pie if it was easy to find out what commands to send on what CAN bus.
I am missing the electronics. My wheel is manually adjustable. It does not move when exiting the vehicle and I miss that feature but adjusting it for driving was not really a problem. I will be happy when the part gets here, but quite frankly it is a long way from being a problem as it stands.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
My dealer told me that they have one steering module at the shop they are using the setup the steering per driver size.
Once it is setup it is good for the driver A. the Steering column is motorized but only the driver module is missing. When the module will be available they will plug it in. No need to Replace the steering column. That sounds better that changing from a manual to motorized steering column which sound like a big job to be honest.
Correct. We got one module to adjust the steering wheel to the position that the customer wants. It is a stop sale, until the customer comes in and the tech adjusts it to the position they desire. That works when a car comes in with an electronic steering module, that just doesn't function.

Other cars are coming in with a manual wheel adjuster, so that will require the steering column to be replaced at some point.

I finally received 3 sun sensors today for campaign WMF4. Those cars affected have a stop sale on them. PCNA only received 400 of them to disperse to the dealerships. Here's a screenshot of the email i received last month.

Porsche Taycan Steering Column - Replace Manual With Electric Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.57.07 PM

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
Correct. We got one module to adjust the steering wheel to the position that the customer wants. It is a stop sale, until the customer comes in and the tech adjusts it to the position they desire. That works when a car comes in with an electronic steering module, that just doesn't function.

Other cars are coming in with a manual wheel adjuster, so that will require the steering column to be replaced at some point.

I finally received 3 sun sensors today for campaign WMF4. Those cars affected have a stop sale on them. PCNA only received 400 of them to disperse to the dealerships. Here's a screenshot of the email i received last month.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.57.07 PM.png

I just posted on another thread, went to my dealer yesterday and the sales guy said there are no plans to change the steering wheel to automatic, any taycan came with the manual steering wheel will stay that way. Plus, I don't have the automatic tightening seat belts either. Everything works but it was part of the configuration and Porsche should be able to fix it.

BROUbrou09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S, Audi e-tron
Country flag
I just posted on another thread, went to my dealer yesterday and the sales guy said there are no plans to change the steering wheel to automatic, any taycan came with the manual steering wheel will stay that way. Plus, I don't have the automatic tightening seat belts either. Everything works but it was part of the configuration and Porsche should be able to fix it.
Replied to you in the other thread. The campaign is WME3 for the retrofit of the electronic steering column adjustment.

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
Thank you. I just saw my invoice for charging issue and saw the open campaign notice on it. So many people at these dealership who happened to be total waste of time and energy.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If your order sheet says you have electronic steering column, but dealer says fix will never come, you can become aggravating too. Get it in writing that they will never fix it, then lemon the car under lemon laws of your state - the electronic steering column which you paid for is not working and dealer says it cannot be fixed. I once came close to lemoning a Lexus with faulty Bluetooh, though I didn't know it. All I know that on the 3rd attempt to fix it, they gave me a brand new one to drive for a week. Only afterwards I found out that it was because it was their 3rd attempt to fix (they replaced all the internal computers already, yet problem persisted) and if they didn't fix it, I had the right to lemon it. Apparently some engineer in Japan already had a plane ticket bought and was on his way to the airport when the local guys finally found the problem - a bent ground pin in one of the harness connectors.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.57.07 PM.png
Any idea as to why some ‘21’s that went into production back in July still haven’t been completed? Has Porsche in Germany addressed this strange situation at all in internal communications?

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Lots of great misinformation here - good for getting everyone's blood pressure up. Porsche does communicate to dealers what "open campaigns" there are on incoming vehicles, but the dealerships have to know where to look (and take the initiative). Mine arrived (as many do) with the manually adjustable steering column and one key fob. Both were noted as open campaigns which my sales manager was able to access when the car was at the port (may have been accessible earlier - that's when I was informed) - and he sent me a copy of the printout. And an open campaign means that they will repair/replace when parts are available. Any SA that tells you that there are no plans to eventually get cars to ordered specs has no idea what's going on - and that seems to be more common than one would hope/expect. And Porsche has communicated in writing to dealerships that any customer whose car arrives with such open campaigns can refuse to take delivery with no penalty (i.e., if deposit). A copy of that letter was posted on an earlier thread.

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
If your order sheet says you have electronic steering column, but dealer says fix will never come, you can become aggravating too. Get it in writing that they will never fix it, then lemon the car under lemon laws of your state - the electronic steering column which you paid for is not working and dealer says it cannot be fixed. I once came close to lemoning a Lexus with faulty Bluetooh, though I didn't know it. All I know that on the 3rd attempt to fix it, they gave me a brand new one to drive for a week. Only afterwards I found out that it was because it was their 3rd attempt to fix (they replaced all the internal computers already, yet problem persisted) and if they didn't fix it, I had the right to lemon it. Apparently some engineer in Japan already had a plane ticket bought and was on his way to the airport when the local guys finally found the problem - a bent ground pin in one of the harness connectors.
Seems like that was due to uninformed sales person... very common at these dealerships. Here is an actual WME from my invoice ( they will fix it once the parts are available ).

Porsche Taycan Steering Column - Replace Manual With Electric 1633715076752

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Lots of great misinformation here - good for getting everyone's blood pressure up. Porsche does communicate to dealers what "open campaigns" there are on incoming vehicles, but the dealerships have to know where to look (and take the initiative). Mine arrived (as many do) with the manually adjustable steering column and one key fob. Both were noted as open campaigns which my sales manager was able to access when the car was at the port (may have been accessible earlier - that's when I was informed) - and he sent me a copy of the printout. And an open campaign means that they will repair/replace when parts are available. Any SA that tells you that there are no plans to eventually get cars to ordered specs has no idea what's going on - and that seems to be more common than one would hope/expect. And Porsche has communicated in writing to dealerships that any customer whose car arrives with such open campaigns can refuse to take delivery with no penalty (i.e., if deposit). A copy of that letter was posted on an earlier thread.
This is constant with what my SA told me.....

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Has anyone with a 2021 actually had the WME3 electronic steering column retrofit? I talked to the service manager at my dealer a couple months ago to enquire about timing, etc. He said that they had no update whatsoever from HQ, and basically told me to take a chill pill until such time as Porsche sends in the parts. He did however state that replacing the manual steering column with an electronic adjustment is not a simple procedure as they would need to rip (my words not his) the old manual column out and replace it with a new electronic one -- a major surgical procedure as far as interior retrofits are concerned. If anyone has had the WME3 procedure performed it would be great to hear how it went.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Still waiting (also for second key), zero comms/update from Porsche. August 2021 delivery.

GoDucksYellO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Silverado 2500HD
Country flag
Same here. August 2021 delivery and still waiting to get it done and get a second key.

marvinp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998/2008 BMW M3s
Country flag
Does anyone know how Porsche is deciding to put the manual steering column adjustment versus the automated but without a controller one?

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Does anyone know how Porsche is deciding to put the manual steering column adjustment versus the automated but without a controller one?
From what I have learned, which may be completely off the mark as I know Jack Crap about building cars, there are no components in the manual column, e.g. motors, controllers, etc. that would facilitate an easy retrofit for electronic adjustment once chips are in fact available. And so, your dealer will need to physically replace the entire column whenever Porsche coughs up the replacements. The really interesting, and frightening, part of this process (for someone such as myself that knows so little about building cars) is that the steering column is already embedded in the dash when the dash is installed in the car at the factory. This leads me to believe that steering columns are not something that are designed to be easily removed/replaced and that Porsche dealers are going to have one hell of a time making the retrofit. I am already mentally preparing myself for an extended period with a Macan loaner (I'll probably need psychotherapy if forced to spend too much time in an ICE Macan, maybe Porsche will reimburse me for therapist bills?) Alternatively, I have a conspiracy theory: It will require too much time and effort to replace the manual columns so Porsche will string us along for a while and then offer us some Taycan pen and pencil sets as compensation for the lack of electronic adjustment.
Sponsored