Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I imagine Porsche already ran this by their lawyers to find out what the max compensation someone could get by suing is, and decided it's cheaper to just risk the lawsuits and offer a token compensation.

I would've refused the car, because getting in and out is already hard. :p But really, I expect cars to come with what I ordered, and on the flip side, I don't expect the manufacturer to ever update anything to match a newer car either. (Which is why I'm not even slightly surprised that new PCM stuff wont be available on my car).
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
But in the real world most of what you've picked apart is simply not realistic or would ever happen - apples and bananas now!

All this discussion over a trivial adjustment feature which may / may not be missing that most mortals have never even heard off let alone experienced.

I would take the compensation if I were impacted by this missing feature but if it related say to matrix lights I would not take delivery as these are something which I use 99% of the time.

Happy to sit and observe should someone feel strongly enough to take action against Porsche and see where they end up.
What feature is important to whom depends on the person (here is an example of someone who doesn't care about matrix headlights like you do - they would probably take compensation if matrix headlights came in a package but had to retrofitted later and compensation became available instead). This is why I think the fair solution to all parties is to offer the retrofit, OR some compensation, and let people choose. Those, who don't care much about the feature would take the compensation, helping the situation and those who do, Porsche has to eat their business mistake of entering into a contract that they would perform the retrofit at no charge.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If your car came with manual transmission instead of automatic, is that "tricky" because a transmission was in fact delivered and you can still shift gears manually?
Don’t tease me.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FYI this is a picture of the letter I received when I took delivery and thus my disappointment that they are now refusing to swap it out….
C6815747-A7AB-4B38-B991-A33887808838.jpeg
I am not a lawyer, but it does seem that one could easily claim that the customer who chose to accept the vehicle is doing so contingent on this retrofit (since the letter states customer can choose not to accept the vehicle, or accept with the retrofit commitment). No retrofit would imply you should be able to return the vehicle for a full refund, or negotiate for alternative compensation if Porsche is so inclined.

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is terrible service!

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
So what if I purchase a Taycan & sign a loan agreement through Porsche Financial Services & agree to pay a set amount/month until the car is paid off. But then, say six months after taking delivery, I (regrettably) decide that I believe the car is no longer worth what I paid for it. So I’m going to stop making payments but will offer PFS “some compensation” & thank them for their understanding.

That…that would work, right?

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
I am not a lawyer, but it does seem that one could easily claim that the customer who chose to accept the vehicle is doing so contingent on this retrofit (since the letter states customer can choose not to accept the vehicle, or accept with the retrofit commitment). No retrofit would imply you should be able to return the vehicle for a full refund, or negotiate for alternative compensation if Porsche is so inclined.
Two weeks ago my dealer said they still didn’t know when they could install the electric adjuster. Here in Japan customer service is typically great, and so if this is indeed a global position that Porsche is taking, I’m very interested in hearing what the compensation will be. Kindly share what your dealers offer, please.

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thoughts on what the compensation will be? I guess $1200. About what this would cost if it were on the configurator

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thoughts on what the compensation will be? I guess $1200. About what this would cost if it were on the configurator
I don't think so. It is not individually selectable and is part of a package. $500 at most. You still get the rest of the package and as someone has already pointed out the same happened on the Macan and £300 was offered.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think so. It is not individually selectable and is part of a package. $500 at most. You still get the rest of the package and as someone has already pointed out the same happened on the Macan and £300 was offered.
You could argue you bought the package solely for the purpose of automatic steering adjustment with memory for profiles, since it was not available individually. That said, without a lawsuit, I agree they will throw no more then few hundred dollars at the customers, knowing there are not enough of them to make a class action suit worth it and customers not wanting to sue individually.

Lesson to be learned, never trust any promises from a car dealer or manufacturer, unless they are backed by a contract with clear deadlines and consequences of not meeting those deadlines - just like your purchase agreement or lease agreement terms, very clearly stating what happens if you don't adhere to the contract (penalties, over-mileage, etc, etc). Customers need to learn to protect their own interests in the same way dealerships, manufacturers, and banks protect their interests - with clear contracts, not some side promises which no enforcement teeth.

I learned the above lesson from being a Tesla customer for almost a decade. Once they got your money, they have very little incentive to give you anything more they promised you in writing, and no incentive whatsoever to deliver on any verbal promises.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You could argue you bought the package solely for the purpose of automatic steering adjustment with memory for profiles, since it was not available individually. That said, without a lawsuit, I agree they will throw no more then few hundred dollars at the customers, knowing there are not enough of them to make a class action suit worth it and customers not wanting to sue individually.

Lesson to be learned, never trust any promises from a car dealer or manufacturer, unless they are backed by a contract with clear deadlines and consequences of not meeting those deadlines - just like your purchase agreement or lease agreement terms, very clearly stating what happens if you don't adhere to the contract (penalties, over-mileage, etc, etc). Customers need to learn to protect their own interests in the same way dealerships, manufacturers, and banks protect their interests - with clear contracts, not some side promises which no enforcement teeth.

I learned the above lesson from being a Tesla customer for almost a decade. Once they got your money, they have very little incentive to give you anything more they promised you in writing, and no incentive whatsoever to deliver on any verbal promises.
It is part of the seats too so I think you need to scale back your expectations should the complete package not be supplied

I drove a brand new 4 week old Taycan earlier this week it had the 14-way, comfort, driver memory, electric steering adjustments etc. So clearly still in supply and the configurator hasn't been amended for new orders (UK) anyway.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is part of the seats too so I think you need to scale back your expectations should the complete package not be supplied
Worse then, you could claim you would not have even gotten the seats if it wasn't for the powered steering column.

I drove a brand new 4 week old Taycan earlier this week it had the 14-way, comfort, driver memory, electric steering adjustments etc. So clearly still in supply and the configurator hasn't been amended for new orders (UK) anyway.
I suspect they are still constrained on parts, so they looked at it this way. For every powered steering column they get their hands on, they can build a brand new car and make tens of thousands dollars, or they can ship that steering column for a retrofit for which they will have to pay a couple of thousand. Guess which one the corporate bean counters recommended, especially if they concluded that they can get away from the retrofit by paying customers $500?

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Shoot! Even the seats won't have the memory function? Normally would be a big deal BUT fortunately, I will be the one driving this car 90 percent of the time