JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
Just sharing a few random thoughts and giving some hope to future owners to balance some of the horror (and very true) stories shared here.

Ordered December 2021. Picked up April 2022. Paid MSRP. Felicity Ace sunk and manufacturing stopped for 3 weeks due to invasion of Ukraine in between. BTW, Ukraine, we haven't forgotten about you, I am sorry this continues.

My order came after Taycans were produced without electric steering columns or were delivered with just 1 keyfob. I got both.

My Taycan was built the 2nd week the updated PCM (colors) were added. The alarm issue was resolved a few weeks prior to my production so never had that issue.

I did get the uPdate but for me it was a minor one. Car dropped at dealer Monday morning, picked up that same day in the afternoon. That has been the 1 day my car has been at the dealer since I got it. About 11,000 miles now. The heater made it through the New England winter. No errors of any kind (and I hope I am not jinxing myself by posting today).

Range

20' inch wheels.

When picked up I was doing a once a week 240 mile round trip charging at home and at work. Real range was ~290 miles on a full charge. I could actually go round trip without charging but it was free charging at work.

I am in New England, range dropped to ~240 miles from mid-October through early April. About a week ago weather was back in the 70s F (21 C) for a day or two...New Englanders know better than to get excited about the weather too early. I had a trip to NJ, round trip 300 miles. Range back to 280+ miles. Very happy to see it come back.

Innodrive

Has worked well for me but ACC is probably enough. Interesting things it does: If you have it on in smaller roads (which is really completely unnecessary and have done mostly for testing) it will "almost" come to a stop if it detects a STOP sign. If you have the GPS on and your are going to make a left/right turn at a street corner it will slow down to the appropriate speed. None of it really that valuable. On highways it behaves very well. Verdict: Save some money, spend elsewhere.

Coasting and Braking

I have always been a coaster, I apply my brakes less often than the average person I think. On my previous car you could do this because it started slowing down relatively quickly. This is impossible to do on a Taycan, it just never slows down. I think brake a lot more than I used to. It is all regenerative so not a big deal.

Electrify America

It's New England so you travel shorter distances (I guess). I have gone to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, New Jersey. Everyone of those trips never requires more than 1 stop at an EA station. I have been at an EA charger 7 times since I got my car. I am 7 for 7 on successful charges. The last trip to NJ the charger never got above 110Kw but that's the worst I have experienced. Otherwise mostly at home charging.

Tires

11,000 miles in still looking great. Would have never looked if it weren't for the threads on this topic.

Cost

A new Taycan, which is essentially the exact same car I am driving is now ~$7,000 more expensive than what I paid. The $7,500 EV rebate was still available. Car would have cost me $14,500 more a year later. To be fair when I ordered my car the $7,500 rebate was uncertain and I was still buying the car so rebates probably used better elsewhere (now if they could only come up with an approach to offer rebates that is less complicated that would be great).

Advice for new Porsche owners (or not really 'car person' types)

You are going to baby this car more than you have any other car before. You just are. I debated PPF but since I was in the 'this is just a car' camp I did not. You are going to get more chips than on a 'regular' car. I try not to follow trucks/car closely, etc...it's just unavoidable. My suggestion: Do it, full front PPF.

Final Comment

I won the Porsche Taycan lottery. If you are waiting for yours, I hope you do too. If you haven't been as lucky as me, I hope it is all behind you.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I am 4+ months in and the weather got much better for me too in New England. I am surprised at how much range I now have with 21 in wheels (~280 miles so far) when the weather is over 70 degrees. Good stuff and promising 👍

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Great input! which rubber do you have 11k on?
I recommend PPF on the front (especially darker exteriors), not following closely is too unrealistic in metro areas - loathe paint chips, esp. in early years of ownership

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!! Nice to see some good news once in a while.

I’m about 5 months in on my pre-owned 2021 TTS. After reading all these horror stories on here, I’m surprised nothing has yet broken. It’s been just a dream to own and drive. Now at 28k km on the odometer.

OP
OP
JustWatching

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
Great input! which rubber do you have 11k on?
I recommend PPF on the front (especially darker exteriors), not following closely is too unrealistic in metro areas - loathe paint chips, esp. in early years of ownership
continental all season

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Nice summary! We usually see all the problems people report, but in general the car majority have a mostly problem free ownership experience. :cool:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Thank you, OP, for taking the time to share - and very well said.

Re coasting - I’ve resorted to using the regen button on the steering wheel when I’m approaching traffic (in town or highway). Works a treat. Almost muscle memory at this point.

Payton48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Coasting and Braking

I have always been a coaster, I apply my brakes less often than the average person I think. On my previous car you could do this because it started slowing down relatively quickly. This is impossible to do on a Taycan, it just never slows down. I think brake a lot more than I used to. It is all regenerative so not a big deal.
The liftoff regen button on the steering wheel let's you drive this way. I switch it on as soon as I get in.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Just sharing a few random thoughts and giving some hope to future owners to balance some of the horror (and very true) stories shared here.

Ordered December 2021. Picked up April 2022. Paid MSRP. Felicity Ace sunk and manufacturing stopped for 3 weeks due to invasion of Ukraine in between. BTW, Ukraine, we haven't forgotten about you, I am sorry this continues.

My order came after Taycans were produced without electric steering columns or were delivered with just 1 keyfob. I got both.

My Taycan was built the 2nd week the updated PCM (colors) were added. The alarm issue was resolved a few weeks prior to my production so never had that issue.

I did get the uPdate but for me it was a minor one. Car dropped at dealer Monday morning, picked up that same day in the afternoon. That has been the 1 day my car has been at the dealer since I got it. About 11,000 miles now. The heater made it through the New England winter. No errors of any kind (and I hope I am not jinxing myself by posting today).

Range

20' inch wheels.

When picked up I was doing a once a week 240 mile round trip charging at home and at work. Real range was ~290 miles on a full charge. I could actually go round trip without charging but it was free charging at work.

I am in New England, range dropped to ~240 miles from mid-October through early April. About a week ago weather was back in the 70s F (21 C) for a day or two...New Englanders know better than to get excited about the weather too early. I had a trip to NJ, round trip 300 miles. Range back to 280+ miles. Very happy to see it come back.

Innodrive

Has worked well for me but ACC is probably enough. Interesting things it does: If you have it on in smaller roads (which is really completely unnecessary and have done mostly for testing) it will "almost" come to a stop if it detects a STOP sign. If you have the GPS on and your are going to make a left/right turn at a street corner it will slow down to the appropriate speed. None of it really that valuable. On highways it behaves very well. Verdict: Save some money, spend elsewhere.

Coasting and Braking

Electrify America

It's New England so you travel shorter distances (I guess). I have gone to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, New Jersey. Everyone of those trips never requires more than 1 stop at an EA station. I have been at an EA charger 7 times since I got my car. I am 7 for 7 on successful charges. The last trip to NJ the charger never got above 110Kw but that's the worst I have experienced. Otherwise mostly at home charging.

Tires

11,000 miles in still looking great. Would have never looked if it weren't for the threads on this topic.

Cost

A new Taycan, which is essentially the exact same car I am driving is now ~$7,000 more expensive than what I paid. The $7,500 EV rebate was still available. Car would have cost me $14,500 more a year later. To be fair when I ordered my car the $7,500 rebate was uncertain and I was still buying the car so rebates probably used better elsewhere (now if they could only come up with an approach to offer rebates that is less complicated that would be great).

You are going to baby this car more than you have any other car before. You just are. I debated PPF but since I was in the 'this is just a car' camp I did not. You are going to get more chips than on a 'regular' car. I try not to follow trucks/car closely, etc...it's just unavoidable. My suggestion: Do it, full front PPF.

Final Comment

I won the Porsche Taycan lottery. If you are waiting for yours, I hope you do too. If you haven't been as lucky as me, I hope it is all behind you.

I have one of the first, a 2020 with 20" wheels. I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS. 3.8 miles / Kwhr for 15,000 miles. The only issue is the charging infrastructure in some areas. I do use the battery saver because it only adds a couple of minutes (I usually don't take it below 20%.)

Chuck J

JerryLNK

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22TAYCAN, 21MB C300, 23BMW X3
Country flag
I really appreciate your post, @JustWatching. We are on the same time line and thought I'd share briefly my anniversary with the 22 Taycan RWD.

I, too, placed the order in December 2021. Delayed a few weeks due to Felicity Ace and Russia's invasion of the peace-loving people of Ukraine. Picked it up in Indianapolis on April 20, 2022.

Drove it 1,700 miles home which included stops in Nashville, St. Louis, and Kansas City. Then turned around and drove another 1,500 miles through the Colorado Rockies. Using Electrify America mostly, Charge Point occasionally, and mainly use Level 2 charger at home. Never have had an issue with either EA or CP. Plug-in and charge at EA has been easy. CP app is equally as easy.

As of today, 18,800 miles in one year on a set of Pirelli P7 All Season. The tires are fine. However, I'd like to swap out with performance summer tires and then a set of winter tires. Of course, I make a lot of excuses to drive and run many "errands" only to return empty-handed but with a smile.

Happy miles to you and the entire community!
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S - 1 year later: owner's feedback / review IMG_0067

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Range

20' inch wheels.

Innodrive

Coasting and Braking

Electrify America

Tires

Cost

Final Comment

My 4S just passed the 20K mile mark and I concur with your post. The only difference is my heater did fail at the 18K mile point. I took it to the dealer to make them aware of that and made my appointment for the 20K service interval 3 weeks hence. My heater was replaced during that appointment but the car was in service nearly a week as the heater job is quite complex.

My tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) I was told look to be good until at least 35K miles.

Bottom line, I fucking love this car!

Sarah's dog chariot

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mamba 4S sport T super yay!
Country flag
My 4S just passed the 20K mile mark and I concur with your post. The only difference is my heater did fail at the 18K mile point. I took it to the dealer to make them aware of that and made my appointment for the 20K service interval 3 weeks hence. My heater was replaced during that appointment but the car was in service nearly a week as the heater job is quite complex.

My tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) I was told look to be good until at least 35K miles.

Bottom line, I fucking love this car!

yesssssssssssssssss!!! just love this !!!!!!

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
my 4S CT is 14 month old. 34k miles. I dd this car and drive it everywhere/every chance I get.
On my 2nd set of tires.
Took dealer 3 tries to fix center tube display rattle, but glad it's finally fixed.
No other issues. PPF the whole car. worth it, do it. I did a matte PPF and it adds a little specialness to the Gentian Blue.

EA is a gamble every time, new EA station by my house, and I try to use it whenever I can. first 6 months was great, all working. Now it's down to 1 working charger, and now seems like the whole city has EVs. Always fight for a charge spot. Mustang MachEs, Ioniq 5s, EV6s, Lucid, Bolt, a bazillion ID.4s, and the whole year, I probably saw 2 Taycans charging, sedans.

would buy again.

-ThinkMac-

OP
OP
JustWatching

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
The liftoff regen button on the steering wheel let's you drive this way. I switch it on as soon as I get in.
I tried it early on, didn't like how it felt...I probably need to give it another try.

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure what speed you guys drive on the highway on your area. I do 75mph in the UK and right now (50F temp) am getting about 230/240 range in a Turbo on 21's.
Sponsored