epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well I have to say overall I love all the improvements and there are MANY. A lot are subtle, but I am kind of detail oriented so I appreciate it. Its that last “10%” polish that matters so much in the perceived interactions. The graphic details, the richer content, slightly more.

The one issue I just noticed (don’t know if it’s permanent or temporary) is that the traffic sign recognition stopped working today at some point. It was stuck at an old sign. And if I went into settings and disable it the option would gray and I could not re-enable again. In fact it would take a couple of “clicks” to turn it off, which means it probably is not able to talk to the module. I think the module crashed.

I’ll see if it clears after a restart (delayed startup), if not I may have to go back in.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its possible, I would not be surprised. My car, 2020, was in for an update on 4/12. Service guy would not provide me updates until I found the service manager and then I find that PCM was bricked and new one ordered from Germany. Expect at least 2 more weeks with car in shop, but I think I will be lucky if I get in 3 weeks and they don't brick something else.

This will be my last Porsche. I never had new car be in shop this long. Yes, I've loaner, but if I wanted to drive Macan I would have bought one. As it is I am paying for Taycan and driving Macan. Crazy. Will not repeat this mistake again.
They make the best cars, hands down. The Taycan is a great car, but it's also the only Porsche with so many glitches. It's just too new and brand new technology. 911's are generally bullet proof. Panamera's are same way, great sedans.

Make sure you have the car at a GOOD Porsche dealership, a Premier dealer. They can get it sorted out but you need an experienced technician.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
They make the best cars, hands down. The Taycan is a great car, but it's also the only Porsche with so many glitches. It's just too new and brand new technology. 911's are generally bullet proof. Panamera's are same way, great sedans.

Make sure you have the car at a GOOD Porsche dealership, a Premier dealer. They can get it sorted out but you need an experienced technician.
This is so true. I had an issue where my car lost connectivity to the app - everything else worked fine data related. I sent an email to Porsche support on the app. Heard nothing and still waiting since Sunday. Yesterday I texted my sales rep who responded in 5 minutes, sent an email to his in-house guy who called me within 5 minutes. Three hours later I get a text with steps to try and it worked. Very impressed with the service at this dealership.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

you need to realize that the taycans are a giant leap for porsche into the tech car world.
unlike cars like 911s these cars are rolling computers.
it is well known for a long time that the germans build great cars but they've always lagged on the electronic/tech side of things.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
you need to realize that the taycans are a giant leap for porsche into the tech car world.
unlike cars like 911s these cars are rolling computers.
it is well known for a long time that the germans build great cars but they've always lagged on the electronic/tech side of things.
The Taycan's propulsion system is very new for Porsche but most of the problems with the updates are not related to it.
Most of the reported software update problems are about bricked PCM or other modules like the clock. Porsche has been building PCMs for many years and they have also been performing software updates on them. My Macan had its PCM updated twice and ECU updated once during warranty.
So I would not use the fact that Taycan is Porsche's first EV as an excuse for the bricked PCMs. Btw, it is not the first time PCM updates create problems
https://www.classaction.org/news/cl...manently-damaged-porsche-infotainment-systems

I also don't blame the dealers even if they make human errors. It looks like the update process is much harder than it should have been. A well designed software and hardware should be easy to update and it should be able to recover from errors and not get bricked.

Last but not least, there is an operations problem here with parts not being stocked locally (at each country) which creates delays of several weeks when things go wrong.

Last edited:

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
We should do a more comprehensive and legible list of who’s had issues, what MY, region, dealership, etc etc.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well I have to say overall I love all the improvements and there are MANY. A lot are subtle, but I am kind of detail oriented so I appreciate it. Its that last “10%” polish that matters so much in the perceived interactions. The graphic details, the richer content, slightly more.

The one issue I just noticed (don’t know if it’s permanent or temporary) is that the traffic sign recognition stopped working today at some point. It was stuck at an old sign. And if I went into settings and disable it the option would gray and I could not re-enable again. In fact it would take a couple of “clicks” to turn it off, which means it probably is not able to talk to the module. I think the module crashed.

I’ll see if it clears after a restart (delayed startup), if not I may have to go back in.
Update: went for a drive and the system is back up and running normally. I realized I took the car through a touch less car wash, and I wonder if the “foam” cleaner obscured and somehow confused or disabled the front camera. So upshot all is well.

BTW I am LOVING the new features, specially the smartlift as I had to use the lift function 2 or 3 times to get to my house every time.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is so true. I had an issue where my car lost connectivity to the app - everything else worked fine data related. I sent an email to Porsche support on the app. Heard nothing and still waiting since Sunday. Yesterday I texted my sales rep who responded in 5 minutes, sent an email to his in-house guy who called me within 5 minutes. Three hours later I get a text with steps to try and it worked. Very impressed with the service at this dealership.
That's great service. I think my dealer is not so well-informed. What were the steps if you don't mind me asking? Since the big up-date I can now rarely get the car to connect to the app - it worked almost every time pre-up-date.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
That's great service. I think my dealer is not so well-informed. What were the steps if you don't mind me asking? Since the big up-date I can now rarely get the car to connect to the app - it worked almost every time pre-up-date.
I did only step 1 in the screenshot below. I didn’t think step 2 was necessary since I wasn’t able to connect on the app, tablet or laptop. It wasn’t an app issue.
Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update B4CDBD86-E99E-4E82-8000-0A46ABFA5D7B

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I did only step 1 in the screenshot below. I didn’t think step 2 was necessary since I wasn’t able to connect on the app, tablet or laptop. It wasn’t an app issue.
B4CDBD86-E99E-4E82-8000-0A46ABFA5D7B.jpeg
Thanks, I’ll try that today

B_TaycanTurbo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Picked up my 2020 Turbo yesterday afternoon from the update. We dropped it off on Monday night and they spent two days getting through the process.

On the drive home, barely two blocks away from the dealership, the car started beeping and the four way hazard lights started flashing. The beeping was almost like an alarm sound. I was just about to turn around when it stopped so I continued and no other issues. I'm going to reach out to the dealership today to discuss this just to make them aware of it and see if they know what would cause that to happen.

4STOY

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, F150, 718 GTS 4.0, 911 TTS
Country flag
MY2020 4S back from the update with no issues at this point. Had a dozen or so updates to infotainment. Other than re-entering a few settings I have no complaints. The vehicle prompted me for Wireless Car Play but as of yet I haven't used it. I have some exploring to do with the updated features but for me the process has been painless. Thank you Porsche South Orlando! Fingers are still crossed at this point. :cool:

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I got my 2020 4S back from the update after a week at the dealership. Originally it was for 2 days but took longer... not sure how much was due to the update vs the service shop being very booked. In any case, I asked how it went, and the tech's assessment was that my car's update went "the smoothest" out of all the updates he'd done to date.

I was warned that every setting had been deleted as part of the update, so I was pleasantly surprised when wireless Carplay picked right up when I got in, didn't have to physically plug in my phone for it, nor did I need to log into my Connect profile again. The custom diamond button assignments were still there, and the best part was that HomeLink worked fine with my garage door.

SmartLift was present as an option, although the new ambient lighting option was not. There were OTA updates that were waiting for me to approve downloading them, though. I haven't had enough drive time yet to check everything out.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I got my 2020 4S back from the update after a week at the dealership. Originally it was for 2 days but took longer... not sure how much was due to the update vs the service shop being very booked. In any case, I asked how it went, and the tech's assessment was that my car's update went "the smoothest" out of all the updates he'd done to date.

I was warned that every setting had been deleted as part of the update, so I was pleasantly surprised when wireless Carplay picked right up when I got in, didn't have to physically plug in my phone for it, nor did I need to log into my Connect profile again. The custom diamond button assignments were still there, and the best part was that HomeLink worked fine with my garage door.

SmartLift was present as an option, although the new ambient lighting option was not. There were OTA updates that were waiting for me to approve downloading them, though. I haven't had enough drive time yet to check everything out.
You can automatically download them if you enable the update in your My Porsche account:

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 2021-04-22_22.49.49

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 2021-04-22_22.50.35