Taycan software update - reported problems post update

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
You can automatically download them if you enable the update in your My Porsche account:

2021-04-22_22.49.49.jpg

2021-04-22_22.50.35.jpg
Thanks! When I started the first download manually from the car display, it gave me an option to automatically download the updates by default moving forward.

Reactions: Dee

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Post-update, I'm getting pretty good consistency with using the foot kick gesture to open the trunk. This rarely worked for me pre-update.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My 2020 Turbo had been trouble free since I got it a year (10,000+ miles) ago. I took it to Walnut Creek (California) Porsche for the WMA5 update nine days ago. For the past week the technician has been unable to complete the final update sequence. He reports repeated "freezing" before the update finishes. I love the car but this experience does not inspire confidence in the electronics.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
My 2020 Turbo had been trouble free since I got it a year (10,000+ miles) ago. I took it to Walnut Creek (California) Porsche for the WMA5 update nine days ago. For the past week the technician has been unable to complete the final update sequence. He reports repeated "freezing" before the update finishes. I love the car but this experience does not inspire confidence in the electronics.
My Dealer in the Bay Area just called to reschedule my update appointment as there is a revised New version update coming out that apparently addresses some of the update issues I moved the update to late June

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Certainly a common sentiment. This board is littered with similar sentiments. Many are living with the experience of a first year of both a new model and new technology for Prosche, and those who have experienced this (like myself) have felt some real impacts to the ownership experience.

Nonetheless, I am very supportive of the efforts of Porsche to remedy their missteps when it comes to the complexity of the software. I have been a long-time supporter of EVs, and almost all of my cars have had some kind of growing pains. I accepted these as a reality and worthwhile price to pay for the overall goal of supporting an important technological advancement. Others have reached a different conclusion, however (which is their right), and some have even returned or sold their cars on to escape this developmental stage.

Very frustrating, but once I received my car back, I returned to my happy place...

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Certainly a common sentiment. This board is littered with similar sentiments. Many are living with the experience of a first year of both a new model and new technology for Prosche, and those who have experienced this (like myself) have felt some real impacts to the ownership experience.

Nonetheless, I am very supportive of the efforts of Porsche to remedy their missteps when it comes to the complexity of the software. I have been a long-time supporter of EVs, and almost all of my cars have had some kind of growing pains. I accepted these as a reality and worthwhile price to pay for the overall goal of supporting an important technological advancement. Others have reached a different conclusion, however (which is their right), and some have even returned or sold their cars on to escape this developmental stage.

Very frustrating, but once I received my car back, I returned to my happy place...
Even with all the issues I love the handling of this car. I barely drive my m3 e46 ( lovely engine btw)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Ok so here is the few problems I am seeing (all minor):

1) Smart lift triggers when it "feels like it." Not sure the emotional state required, its nice when it works, but can't count on it.

2) I linked my Apple Music account to test out the dynamic lights. That was fine. Then I linked my Podcast. That was fine too. But my Apple Music disconnected. Ok, relinked that. But my Podcast link went poof. And now every time I try to link it again it says failed. Oh well.

3) Tried linking my office365 calendar for the fun of it. Fails every time.

As I said all minor.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Agreed. Although I am currently frustrated, I do not regret buying the car and have no intention of getting rid of it. Notwithstanding the software issues, it is a terrific vehicle.

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
Mine has been in the workshop for 4 days now - the update is stuck at 'programming the PCM' (Sequence 4?) and apparently, another Taycan in the workshop is too. Will see...They gave me a Cayenne Hybrid loaner, which I must say is a bit disappointing in terms of comfort(and performance) compared to my Taycan 4S.

lubricious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Dealer in the Bay Area just called to reschedule my update appointment as there is a revised New version update coming out that apparently addresses some of the update issues I moved the update to late June
i got the same call today in which they stated that a new update will be coming and that i would be rescheduled towards the second half of June.

JJTO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cab; '97 NSX; BMW X5, Suburban
Country flag
i got the same call today in which they stated that a new update will be coming and that i would be rescheduled towards the second half of June.
I had an appointment to bring my MY2020 4S on Thursday 04/22 and got a call that morning to not bring it in because Porsche had put a delay on the update. Wasn't told why there was a delay but I'm fine with it. I don't have any issues with my car as-is and the new features are nice to have but not critical to me so I don't mind waiting it out.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
any hard quotes or campaign numbers or copy of Porsche text on this would be greatly appreciated, and it would be nice to clarify it's a new update with "new content" or a new improved update package/process (but the same update software versions).

I could see Porsche doing one of two things or both
  1. a new update with some minor "tweaks" based on what they've learned - this would lead to new "versions" of the software for various components and such
  2. a new update process/instructions/procedures (but same software versions) - an improved update process to improve reliability for the service shops, but in the end it's the same software package installed on the vehicle
it would be great if we could get some clarifications.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess that means August :)

It is not clear to me if the problem is with the update procedure or the new software has bugs or it is not compatible with some of the 2020 hardware. The latter can affect even the cars that received the update already.

lubricious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
any hard quotes or campaign numbers or copy of Porsche text on this would be greatly appreciated, and it would be nice to clarify it's a new update with "new content" or a new improved update package/process (but the same update software versions).

I could see Porsche doing one of two things or both
  1. a new update with some minor "tweaks" based on what they've learned - this would lead to new "versions" of the software for various components and such
  2. a new update process/instructions/procedures (but same software versions) - an improved update process to improve reliability for the service shops, but in the end it's the same software package installed on the vehicle
it would be great if we could get some clarifications.
wish I had something to screenshot, but it was a phone call. Received the call to let me know that my update would have to be moved to June. When I inquired, she said a few Taycans have been sitting there for weeks unable to update software. She volunteered info that a new software was due out by Porsche in the upcoming weeks and recommended we choose a date in the second half of June for my install. Told her I’ll book it online later.

I’m just as intrigued as the rest of this community to see if this supposed update will improve the upgrade experience.
Sponsored