Vibration and rattle sounds from the interior . . .

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Hi

Very similar to me. Porsche made some adjustments but noise came back after a couple of days. Be very interested in your feedback post your weekend investigations! Anything you can share may help Porsche resolve. My car is going back in early next month for a 2nd attempt to fix.
Think I’ve found evidence of what’s been happening. In the photo you’ll see part of the seat frame with a patch where the paint has clearly worn away and is showing bare metal. It’s not present on the other side (pictured is the side nearest the door). I think when the seat flexes that part is rubbing on part of the seat rail.

The solution? I expect realistically it’s either to have the seat a fair bit higher, not ideal and not something I want to do, or maybe try to get a dremel type tool in and shave it down. Will need to cover the seat rail to avoid shavings getting in there and causing other problems. Would be a pig of a job.

Before I do that I’ll get my wife to sit in the seat and push back while I have another look and see if I can catch it happening.
Sponsored

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Vibration and rattle sounds from the interior . . . C7EBBD8E-CC4C-4C85-8D10-D0AE9E0EEF21

Oh yea - the photo!

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I wonder if that is the cause. Please let me know once you’ve tested with your wife and then I can replicate your fix!

EV Kris

First Name
kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa P85D - Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've asked my dealer to fix it for me. Should be taken care of pretty soon (I hope).
I've actually thought of doing it myself, but I don't want to take the risk of damaging anything (even though the procedure looks simple from the videos I've seen so far).
Heb je dit ondertussen al laten uitvoeren? zo ja bij welk Porsche center? En is er verbetering?
Was het ook de pasagierskant vooraan?
Men dealer wilt dit wel fixen maar niet onder garantie....WTF alle hulp is welkom

TitanTurboS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Picked up a new 2020 Turbo S last week. Within 10 minutes of driving it off the lot, I noticed a strong vibration with bass-heavy music in the driver's door and less so in the passenger door. With music off, any rough road or bump caused a metal clanging in the area of the rear shelf, as if something is loose. I was very disheartened to have to take the car in for service in the first week of ownership. Porsche build quality is usually top notch but this was unexpected. Let's see if they can find the problems and remedy them. Fingers crossed. As it is, I wouldn't be able to live with the car. I can handle the occasional squeak or rattle, but this is so loud, frequent and intrusive that it ruins the driving experience of an otherwise phenomenal car.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I do not know if it is a coincidence or a connection, but I see that Suncoast now sells a CD to detect and locate squeaks in the car. Either way, this item fits perfectly with our theme in this post we are discussing . . . as these sounds are real "quality squeaks and rattles" recorded in Germany :captain:

Just wondering, where to insert the CD in my Taycan . . . hmm :whatsgoingon: I gonna have to convert into some high quality digital files from my old dinosour system, and then transfer to a memory stick . . . unless of course this record is available as download somewhere. Came to think of it, this actually ought to be free Porsche gift included with your new car purchase :cool:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKURATTLECD.html

Porsche Taycan Vibration and rattle sounds from the interior . . . Skjermbilde 2021-03-23 kl. 15.02.43

"Have a speaker rattle that's annoying? A door panel rattle? This factory recommended audio CD plays a wide range of sounds and noises to test for rattles and squeaks. From 40Hz to 150Hz. Works with any car with a CD player. 11 tracks which test a wide range of frequencies, and can help you find problem spots."

Last edited:

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not know if it is a coincidence or a connection, but I see that Suncoast now sells a CD to detect and locate squeaks in the car. Either way, this item fits perfectly with our theme in this post were discussing . . . as these sounds are real "quality squeaks and rattles" recorded Germany :captain:

Just wondering, where to insert the CD in my Taycan . . . hmm :whatsgoingon: I gonna have to convert into some high quality digital files from my old dinosour system, and then transfer to a memory stick . . . unless of course this record isn't available as download somewhere. Came to think of it, this actually ought to be free Porsche gift included with your new car purchase :cool:

Skjermbilde 2021-03-23 kl. 15.02.43.png

"Have a speaker rattle that's annoying? A door panel rattle? This factory recommended audio CD plays a wide range of sounds and noises to test for rattles and squeaks. From 40Hz to 150Hz. Works with any car with a CD player. 11 tracks which test a wide range of frequencies, and can help you find problem spots."
Could do with this for my older cars. It might be nice to replace the usual noises with quality squeaks & rattles recorded in Germany

TitanTurboS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I do not know if it is a coincidence or a connection, but I see that Suncoast now sells a CD to detect and locate squeaks in the car. Either way, this item fits perfectly with our theme in this post we are discussing . . . as these sounds are real "quality squeaks and rattles" recorded in Germany :captain:

Just wondering, where to insert the CD in my Taycan . . . hmm :whatsgoingon: I gonna have to convert into some high quality digital files from my old dinosour system, and then transfer to a memory stick . . . unless of course this record is available as download somewhere. Came to think of it, this actually ought to be free Porsche gift included with your new car purchase :cool:

Skjermbilde 2021-03-23 kl. 15.02.43.png

I offered to recreate the problem at the dealership, but they informed me of the existence of this CD and this is exactly what they planned to use to localize the rattles. I tried the Tone Generator app and the car was buzzing like mad at low frequencies.

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
Do you think Porsche is aware of this issue ? Is is possible that they found a way to eliminate door rattle ? I'm expecting my cross turismo in July and would be really annoyed to encounter the same problem.

Does this happen on both MY20 and MY21 ?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW: I had the software upgrade done and was given a taycan as a loaner and it had terrible rattles from the passenger side door.
It seems that there needs to be more attention paid to this part of the building process because so many have reported similar issues

TitanTurboS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
FWIW: I had the software upgrade done and was given a taycan as a loaner and it had terrible rattles from the passenger side door.
It seems that there needs to be more attention paid to this part of the building process because so many have reported similar issues
Yes, if the vehicle has this issue, it is not subtle. It is a wonder the affected cars pass whatever pre-delivery inspection is done on the manufacturer/dealer side. I had test driven a different car but then chose the one I purchased based on a preferred color combination. If I could do it over, I would have insisted on test driving the car I bought first. These rattles would have prevented me from buying this particular car.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, if the vehicle has this issue, it is not subtle. It is a wonder the affected cars pass whatever pre-delivery inspection is done on the manufacturer/dealer side. I had test driven a different car but then chose the one I purchased based on a preferred color combination. If I could do it over, I would have insisted on test driving the car I bought first. These rattles would have prevented me from buying this particular car.
My car had terrible rattle from the passenger door which I immediately discovered while driving from the dealership to my home right after I bought. it.
I did test drive the car and I was looking for rattle but I did not detect them rattles because the sales person was sitting in the car and if you put your hand (and push) on the passenger door panel the rattle stops. So you have to drive the car alone.

Other rattles (from b-pillar and driver seat) developed later.

It feels more like a bad design to me than an issue with build process. As I have documented in another thread the door panels are not help tightly against the door with screws or plastic rivets and that allows big gaps and room for panel movement which leads to the rattles.
If they want to fix the issue they will have to redesign how the panel is secured on the door.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Other rattles (from b-pillar and driver seat) developed later.
my rattle was in that same b pillar and took a few weeks to develop. the tech added some foam like material and so far it is working

TitanTurboS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Update: although I had 3 distinct areas of rattle (drivers door, passenger door, and rear shelf), the dealer was only able to find one of them, the drivers door. They have ordered a new door panel from Germany, and will take at least 2 weeks to arrive. I've had a loaner for 2 weeks now. I was told I can pick up the Taycan and bring it back when the new door comes in. I'd rather not drive it rattling around as it does, and put on miles as my DD, but I'm over it at this point. Never could have imagined these sort of issues and clearly if they are ordering a new door, the easier fixes did not appear to help. As a used car I would hate to eat the depreciation if I moved on from it, especially since it was clearly not up to par in build quality.

OJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (for sale), Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Anyone else got a creaky drivers seat? Definitely comes from the base/lower back rest area.

I don’t consider myself a heavy person, but this creaking sound is making me think twice about that!! Very annoying.
My 4SCT has just developed a creaky drivers seat after 900 miles!!!
Did you manage to get your seat sorted? Thanks.
Sponsored